Can I do peds in soCal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnowledgeOfSelf

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need advice. I'm an MS3 in the US interested in pediatrics. My only goal is to move back home to southern CA so that I can finally settle down with my long time bf. I recently found out that I passed Step 1, but my score did not break 200. I am very concerned that I will be unable to match back home. Does anyone know how difficult it is to match in peds, esp in CA with a low step 1? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take a look at your school's match list and go from there. You can also look at matcharesident.com/

If you are at an allopathic school, then you DEFINITELY can improve your app to match in So Cal. I have a couple friends who went through the whole application process for peds last year, and one of them had less than a 215 on the STEP 1. She had other good things on her app however, and was interviewed at some very competitive programs, including Northwestern, Texas Childrens' and Rainbow Babies.

So Cal has a wide variation in competitiveness for programs. The only two that I would say are extremely difficult are UCLA and CHLA. Harbor-UCLA and CHOC are slightly less competitive. Also, USC has its own program separate from CHLA, which I've heard is not difficult to match into at all, at least relative to CHLA.

Just do as well as you can on STEP 2, honor your Peds core rotation, and maybe think about setting up an away elective at a program in So Cal. Also, talk to your school's peds chairman about what else you can do to improve.