Can I do PMR and some medicine on the side?

Started by wjs010
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wjs010

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, MS3 here. coming down the the home stretch now and realizing 3rd year is almost over. I've had a weird mix of likes/interests these past few years. In college I graduated in kinesiology( I always loved sports, working out, bodybuilding, etc.) and was accepted into PT school..for some picky reasons I decided to defer and give it a lot of thought what I really wanted to do with my career, because I had taken physiology/cancer biology courses in college and really enjoyed it. I ended up finding SDN actually and got lucky enough to find out this PMR thing. I did a lot of reading about it and thought it provided everything I might want. I ended up figuring that I should go to medical school and REALLY see the vast array of options that it would provide, and boy was I right. I loved the first two years of med school. Medicine in general, i really like. I truly enjoy thinking about all the different types of diseases. I am a DO student and went into it thinking it would add to my background, etc. However, I really did not enjoy the OMM stuff. I liked my ortho rotation okay(not surgery, just the clinic stuff). So for the first two years I had my eyes on IM, because of the range of things you can do with it. It's still an option for me. I also liked Rheumatology and dermatology during our coursework. Then, third year came around and i was lucky enough to land a Dermatology rotation early on. I had a lot of fun and loved it. so this also becomes an option. So I have IM, derm, and a vague, naive notion of EM and PMR. PMR sounds great because of my background, but I don't know anything about how practice is like. I will do a rotation in 4th year to see how it is. EM is a required rotation so I will definitely find out how that is.EM worries me because of the burnout scare. I have a feeling I will really like PMR as a whole.

I guess I could have left out that story and just asked what I really want to ask: If I go into PMR, am I forever banished from doing a shift in the ER or a shift in the hospital(or even an urgent care clinic for that matter) doing regular medicine? If I could do that every now and then on the side while doing PMR, that would be me hitting the jackpot. thanks for reading
 
I don't get the impression Urgent Care centers have the most or even appropriately qualified physicians working there... so if you really wanted to, you probably could (although I can't say that with 100% confidence). You wouldn't be able to do shifts in the ER. However, there's a ton of medicine in PM&R. Do you have a PM&R department at your school? Our PM&R docs do everything from inpatient consult service (assessments for stroke, SCI, TBI, amputee, and cancer patients) to purely outpatient follow-up of patients with SCI, TBI, stroke, amputee, etc. We also have a "medically complex" rehab service.... which is just like it sounds like... it's a lot of medicine!

Just to give you an example, if you're doing stroke rehab at an acute rehab center, you're going to be medically managing anticoagulants, anti-hypertensive agents, cardiac agents, (likely) DM meds, as well as neuro stimulants and your bread and butter rehab. If you're doing outpatient management for, say SCI patients, you're managing bowel/bladder, cardiovascular, and pulmonary systems in addition to your bread and butter spasticity and neurological management. I was in a similar situation to you where I liked medicine and I also like sports/msk/neuro. PM&R is where it's at. 😎
 
I don't get the impression Urgent Care centers have the most or even appropriately qualified physicians working there... so if you really wanted to, you probably could (although I can't say that with 100% confidence). You wouldn't be able to do shifts in the ER. However, there's a ton of medicine in PM&R. Do you have a PM&R department at your school? Our PM&R docs do everything from inpatient consult service (assessments for stroke, SCI, TBI, amputee, and cancer patients) to purely outpatient follow-up of patients with SCI, TBI, stroke, amputee, etc. We also have a "medically complex" rehab service.... which is just like it sounds like... it's a lot of medicine!

Just to give you an example, if you're doing stroke rehab at an acute rehab center, you're going to be medically managing anticoagulants, anti-hypertensive agents, cardiac agents, (likely) DM meds, as well as neuro stimulants and your bread and butter rehab. If you're doing outpatient management for, say SCI patients, you're managing bowel/bladder, cardiovascular, and pulmonary systems in addition to your bread and butter spasticity and neurological management. I was in a similar situation to you where I liked medicine and I also like sports/msk/neuro. PM&R is where it's at. 😎
that sounds encouraging. thanks! I do not have a home anything program (DO school with no attached hospital), but do have opportunities to do rotations in PMR close by. I will try an inpatient one because I heard that is best to get a good feel for PMR. However thus far in 3rd year, I can say I do like clinics more than hospitals...I guess part of my question was because I thought they would already have a PCP who managed their chronic meds, so why would the PMR guy need to? But if I am able do that and stay within medicine while practicing PMR, it sounds pretty clutch. Now I guess its just left to trying the rotation out to see if I like it. I have a feeling I will love the rheumatology side of PMR.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Most PCPs don't feel comfortable managing the care of patients a significant portion of PM&R's patients. In many ways we end up using clinic in a PCP manner for a specific set of patients (but also follow-up of those recently in acute inpatient rehab). An away rotation should give you some outpatient exposure too and I think you'll pick up quickly on what I mean. Good luck!
 
Can you do a shift in the ER/acute care? Possibly, if you go somewhere rural. Should you as a PMR doc? Probably not. It's really outside your scope and you might be putting your license at risk if there is a bad outcome. By the time you could actually work in an ER which would be as a graduate or at the tail end of residency you are so far from that type of medicine that I wouldn't touch it if I were you. As others have said if you do inpatient rehab you literally can manage most everything you want and then if you don't want to manage it/ aren't comfortable you can consult someone. I have found it a nice balance. If you want to do the ED or acute care/hospital gig I'd just do IM/EM
 
Can you do a shift in the ER/acute care? Possibly, if you go somewhere rural. Should you as a PMR doc? Probably not. It's really outside your scope and you might be putting your license at risk if there is a bad outcome. By the time you could actually work in an ER which would be as a graduate or at the tail end of residency you are so far from that type of medicine that I wouldn't touch it if I were you. As others have said if you do inpatient rehab you literally can manage most everything you want and then if you don't want to manage it/ aren't comfortable you can consult someone. I have found it a nice balance. If you want to do the ED or acute care/hospital gig I'd just do IM/EM

I don't rly want acute care. I actually like the clinic way more. Thank you. I was afraid that may be the case. Choosing a specialty was easy until third year when I actually exerienced the specialties.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile