Can I do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sizillyd

Go Pack
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I end up going to DO school because I am unable to get into an allopathic medical school is it possible for me to transfer after my first year to an MD school? Will I still be able to graduate with an MD? How hard is it to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Transferring between 2nd and 3rd year would be more likely, but the school usually requires a really, really good reason for transferring (e.g. spouse is a student at that school and you go to a school 1000 miles away). I know of that situation in regards to allopathic schools, and I'm not sure if they allow osteopatchic to allopathic swaps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure a few cases may exist, but it is almost impossible to switch from one MD program to another. I would imagine that switching from DO to MD, or MD to DO, is even less likely.

Why do you want to be an M.D. only? In the end, you become a physician and the difference between those 2 letters behind your name don't really mean anything. If you want, you could go into an allopathic residency program instead of osteopathic once you've graduated from D.O. school...

threads like these make me sad :(