Can I ever be forgiven?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mevannorden

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
VM,
How rude of me! Somebody gets accepted into my school and I can't even say congrats. Well, congratulations, VM. It's an excellent school, in my lowly opinion! Just a word about your choice of schools. I went through college assuming I would attend the University of Kansas School of Medicine. Things didn't go as planned, and the first year I applied there only and didn't get in. While applied for the second time, I got medical experience as a dialysis technician. I applied to 4 MD schools and 3 DO schools, and did a lot of research into what osteopathy was. Well, I was eventually accepted to KU plus two DO schools. While I had always planned to attend KU, and always swore I would never pay $20K+ for tuition, I ended up choosing UOMHS. I have never been sorry, even though I think KU is an excellent school. I am one DO who is totally sold on OMM (or OPP, OMT, whatever you want to call it!). So, my point is, don't let the tuition or anything else scare you! All that matters is getting the best education for YOU. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Where did you get your undergraduate degree?

I received my undergraduate degree from the most prestigious university in....northeast Wichita, KS.
smile.gif
I graduated from Wichita State University in May of 1997 with a BS in Chemistry/Business (field major, not double major. I wasn't that ambitious!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Mev,

What do you think about the Master program that UOMHS offers in Health Care Administration? Have you checked into it?

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks Mevannordan for the congrats. We'll have to chat more about med school, etc. when we have more time. Scoren and everybody else going to UOMHS (not sure who else is (Karen? Kansai?), we'll have to E-mail each other before school starts.

To my distinguished collegue,

congrats VM on your acceptance to UOMHS. i was accepted earlier this year and it's always nice to see other UOMHS folks on this forum. BTW, i'm also a huge cubs fan. have you or anyone else found any apts. info yet? and has anyone else filled out or received the paperwork for the stafford loans? if you didn't know, you MUST call the finan. aid office and REQUEST the loan papers to be sent to you. it's not like undergrad where the school will automatically send you the forms if you filled out the FAFSA. so good luck. rene

I am a UOMHS alumnist and will be returning this fall to get a second docorate in ostopathy. I have found in my work, travel and professional relations that ours is a most excellent institution. The Des Moines community is not bad either. I can personally testify that the administration and faculty (for the most part) are there for the students. To everyone from UOMHS, for your choice, I say, "PAR EXCELON".

Scott - I'm currently taking classes in the MHA program and am very impressed. I don't want to sound like a paid commercial for UOMHS (those who have read previous posts know that I am impressed with my school) but every program in the school impresses me. I have finished one class for the degree so far (Legal and Regulatory Aspects of Health Care) and am currently taking a second (Overview to Healthcare Delivery Systems). I have found the information very interesting so far and think the degree will be a great plus in the future. The HCA people are really flexible, and you can take classes at your own pace. Also, within the next year they will have classes offered on the internet, so if you don't finish the degree during your first two years you can finish it during your third and fourth. BTW, you can't take HCA classes the first semester of the DO program. If anyone has housing questions, I'll be glad to offer what knowledge I have.

No I'm not in yet; my interview is Apr. 24.

I have a housing question . . .
Are there any safe neighborhoods near the school? I am interested in either an appartement or a duplex. (I am considering bringing my dog.) How is the crime? I would like to check out the area while I'm visiting for my interview.

Karen - There are several apartment complexes within walking distance from the school. The area around the school is residential and fairly nice. Some of the nearby apartments are nicer than others, depending on how much you want to pay and what amenities you want. For the price, Four Seasons and Four Seasons II are the nicest in my opinion. They're owned by the same guy. Four seasons II is newer and only has two-bedroom apartments. You might also look at Windsor Terrace. IT's older, but right across the street from school. 3000 Grand is the nicest complex nearby, but it is EXPENSIVE. None of the complexes close by, that I know of, allow pets.

There also duplexes within a mile or two of school, Which is what I"m hoping to live in next year. I"m sure some of those allow pets, but I know some do not. The ones I have looked at are for rent, but some may be for sale. Crime is generally not a problem in these areas, and, in my opinion, Des Moines has much less crime than Wichita, KS, where I went to undergrad. Good luck on your interview!

mark

Hi all,

Congrats VM! Our UOMHS online community is getting larger! I'm interested in housing info, as well. I was planning to buy, but have decided to rent now. The catch is that I need a place that allows large dogs. The closer to school the better.

Karen, if you hear about any dog-friendly places, please let me know!

Mevannorden, do you have any insight on possible housing solutions? I'm sure there have to be current students with dogs!

Thanks,
Stef

Hi everyone!
Its nice to hear from the online UOMHS community. Yes, VM, we will have to start some kind of e-mail/share advice group before we start in August.

I'm tentatively planning an apt. hunting trip to DM Memorial Day weekend. Mevann, do you think this is too early? too late? Thanks for all your insight, you have been really helpful to me.

Laura

Hey everyone,

Mev: Thanks for the info about the UOMHS-MHA program. I'm thinking about applying to the program during my second semester. Do you find that being involved in both programs during the first half of your medical education takes a toll on you or your grades?

G Mangle: What/when did you study at UOMHS for your first degree?

Karen: Good luck on your interview!

Laura: Where do you live now? Let us know how your search goes and stay in touch! Wh

Stef: Are you still thinking about moving in July?

I was thinking of making a trip over there around memorial day, but I think I'll probably wait until mid/late June because it's fairly expensive to travel out there from Seattle. You all can feel free to email me, and let me know if you want to meet in June, July or anytime before class begins!

Scott

Members don't see this ad :)
Dog lovers - Try Park Ave. Apts. I think they allow pets. I also know there's one in Urbandale that allows pets, but I couldn't find the name or anything. I'll try to ask around some more at school. As far as apartments close to school that allow pets, I don't know of any.

Mattie - no, I don't think Memorial Day is too soon. I would reccommend looking before the end of June, especially if you want to live near school. If you don't, you can probably wait a bit later, but better safe than sorry. Quite a few students live in West Des Moines and Urbandale, which would probably be between a ten and fifteen minute drive from campus, depending on traffic.

Scott - So far my MHA classes have not affected my grades. I hardly studied for the first class, but am studying a little more for the one I'm taking now. How much the MHA program detracts from you grades in the DO program depend on how quickly you learn and how fast you want to finish the program. Since classes will soon be offered on the internet, you will have 3 1/2 years to finish the program if you start spring of your first year. I imagine working on a dual degree will affect my grades some, but I can afford it. Realize that, unless you want to go into a really competetive specialty, super-high grades aren't really important. I think the knowledge gained in the MHA program will be worth any lower grades I may get. YOu can also get a Master's in Public Health, which would also be a useful degree (both would look good on a resume!).

Mev,

Thanks for the lead on Park Avenue apts for pets. I found a complex called Regency Woods in West DM that welcomes large dogs. Have you heard of it, by chance? Just curious, as the pics on the internet always make places look so nice even if they're slums! Thanks!

Stef

Kansai,

I have not heard of Regency, but if it's in West Des Moines, chances are it's pretty nice. West Des Moines is kind of the "rich part of town." I talked to another friend who has a pet, and he told me where he lives. I forget exactly what it's called, but it's Jordan something or other. I'm pretty sure it's in W. Des Moines on Grand Ave.

Also, more advice to incoming UOMHS students. When the school sends you a packet of info (if they haven't already) and they say that you have to have a microscope, don't take them too seriously. I used mine twice. My advice is to find another person or two and split the cost of a rental or buying a used one. How much you use your 'scope depends on you, but even if you go to every Histology lab and every Micro lab you can still benefit from renting with someone else. If you do so, try to rent one with somebody whose last name is not really close to yours in the alphabet, as those names that are really close will likely have lab at the same time. Somebody with a last name beginning with "A" could rent with somebody with a last name beginning in "K" and probably not have lab at the same time.

Scott, I am living in Denver right now. Its sort of hike for me to DM too, though not quite as far as for you.

Thanks for the microscope advice, mevann.

Has any one out there applied and/or heard from the Public Health Scholarship Program? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hey Laura,

I applied for the NHSC scholarship, and they sent me the postcard indicating that the preliminary review of my appliation materials are complete (all the stuff is there). I got that notice a few days after their deadline (3/26?) I haven't heard anything since then, but I imagine I will soon. They say in the pamphlet that we should here about an interview in April or May.

Have you heard anything yet?

Scott

Hey Scott,

Did you get my last email? I'm just curious because I've been having some mail problems lately. I didn't want you to think I was blowing you off! By the way, I am still looking at early July to head out to Iowa. How about you? Obviously, an apt. hunting trip will need to be made first, so I'm shooting for early June on that. I hope everything isn't gone by then! Talk to you later...

Stef

Scoren,

I recieved the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine in 1990. At my interview I became convinced that things had changed very little, if any at all, and that the school was still an excellent institution. I am sure you will find it a great place to study.

G

Hey Stef,

I've been having major problems with my email the last few days too. I wrote you a letter but it wouldn't let me send it. I have it saved and will try again tomorrow.

G Mangle,

Thanks for your opinion! I look forward to meeting you in the fall...

Scott

Here is a link to rentals in Des Moines. It's somewhat helpful. Check it out.(There aren't many pics though
frown.gif

http://www.homeregister.com/custom/rentals-direct.html

Hi Everyone,
I went to my family doctor who is a DO from Ohio University to get some of my immunizations. He happened to come in with a student from UOMHS! What a small world, huh? Anyway, we didn't get a chance to talk much (and she wasn't particularly extroverted or friendly (maybe a bad day)). But, she did tell me to start looking for an apartment right away. This family practice is really nice and is run by a local hospital. I also checked out Grandview Hospital today, which is one of our schools affiliated hospitals. It is about a 500 bed hospital, and is nice looking. I went there around 5:30 so I was unable to get a feel of the hospital. Also, the 3rd year student from UOMHS told me that they were going to cut down on the spots for UOMHS students there. Anyway, have any of you looked at DesMoines General Hospital or any of the other affiliated hospitals. If you did, what did you think of them?

VM - Where in Ohio are you, Cleveland, Columbus? I'm thinking pretty seriously about doing my third year in Ohio, preferably Cleveland. I've been told that there's only six spots in Cleveland, and I'll probably be vying for one of them. As far as Des Moines General goes, I think its a decent hospital. It's rather hard to get rotations in Des Moines because a lot of the family types want to stay here for both third and fourth years. That's not to say it's impossible, however. There's also rotations in Mason City, IA, which I've heard good things about. Anyway, that's the extent of my knowledge.

DOG OWNERS: I had my interview; it went well. I also checked out housing. Regency Woods in West Des Moines is very nice, but only allows dogs up to 45lbs. A little further down that same street is Country Club Village; they allow all size pets. The buildings don't look as nice from the oustide; the inside is nice though. Country Club is older than Regency.
How big is everyones dog? Mine is about 65lbs.

I couldn't find the duplexes near campus that allow pets.

Mevannorden,
I'm in Dayton, OH, the home of the Wright Brothers and flight
smile.gif
Anyway, Grandview (and Southview a smaller hospital south of town) hospital is here near our Art Museum. I went there the other day for the first time ever (I don't live near it). Ohio University COM trains many of their students at this hospital. My family practice clinic had a 3rd year student from UOMHS there, but we didn't talk much, unfortunately. She did tell me that they were cutting the number of positions at Grandview for UOMHS students. Grandview has many AOA residencies, I believe. She was doing rounds with my family doctor. Cleveland is a cool city now, since they fixed it up. Jacobs Field home of the Cleveland Indians, and the Rock and Roll Museum are fun. Cleveland clinic and Case Western Reserve U are up there too. I believe UOMHS has an affiliation with MetroHealth up there, right? Also, UOMHS has an affiliation with St. Vincent in Toledo, I believe. St. Vincent is shared with the Medical College of Ohio med students, and Ohio U. There is also Doctors Hospital in Columbus according to my catalog. A transplant surgeon at OSU told me that they have a lot of residencies there too. If you go somewhere else for your clinicals, will you have to move your 4th year too?

I just got in! I hope to see all of you in the fall.

Congratulations Karen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Karen,

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Did Dr. Murphy call you?

Congratulations, Karen!

VM - Fourth year rotations are pretty much up to the student. In most cases, the school sets rotations for eight months of year three and the student sets up the other sixteen months. For Ohio, however, the first twelve months are set up by the school and the student sets up year four rotations. So, bottom line, you can spend year four just about wherever you want to, as long as you can set everything up there. This is my understanding of the process, anyway.

Yes, Dr. Murphy called. (Mon, Apr.26 @9:05pm) I am so excited
smile.gif

Congratulations Karen! Enjoy this celebratory time!

Scott, I haven't heard anything either from NHSC other than the "everything is here" postcard at the end of March. The whole who gets an interview process is a little obscure to me. Keep me posted on any developments for you (and I will keep you posted on my status). We'll see. .

Laura

CONGRATS, KAREN...feels good, don't it???

it's so nice to see the UOMHS family growing everyday. it's unfortunate to hear that grandview is cutting positions for UOMHS....that was my first choice to do my core surgery clinical and maybe some other rotations. anyone know why there cutting slots for UOMHS???

so i'm planning on actually putting my first months rent and deposit on an apt. within the next 2 weeks. i've have found many apts. (1 and 2 BR) in the DM paper. anyone have more info.?? has anyone heard about any financial aid?? i just waiting for the acutal letter that states how much they are willing to give me....come on big bucks and no whammys!!!! congrats again, later rene

Hi fellow UOMHS students-to-be,
Did you get the information about research opportunities in the mail from Dr. Larsen?

[This message has been edited by VM (edited May 12, 1999).]

Guys,
I recieved information from public health on Monday when I called to check up on the status of my application. I was told to hold tight in that letters will be sent out next week. I was later adviced that the interview process had not yet started and that it is expected to begin soon.

God Bless,

G

RC - I'm guessing you'll be able to borrow (I hate that word) the whole amount if you so choose. I don't know if a spouse's income decreases the amount you are eligible for or not, but I don't think it does. Now, if your spouse makes $50K/year, that could be a different story! I received over $40K in loans for my first year. That included living expenses, tuition, books, equipment, etc. It has been estimated that, if loans are paid off in ten years, my medical school will end up costing me over $200,000 (counting accrued interest and stuff). That is rather scary to me, but it will be worth it in the end.