Can I get a head-start for o-chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thirdunity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...or other science classes for that matter.

I'm thinking of buying the book for each of my science prereq classes months *before* the class starts, getting the review cards, and seeing if I can get a head-start... does this help anyone? Anyone done this?

Also, will it help me if I get an MCAT review book, so that I can stay on track with what I need to know from each class I take?

I do this with math classes and it *works* - but does this work for science classes? Never tried it there.

Members don't see this ad.

Sure, you can preview nomenclature and other stuff. I don't remember what else you learn in OChem 1. I think it's probably more useful to preview each lecture by reading ahead in the book maybe a few days to a week in advance rather than months though. But I do know some people who spent their summers reading through science textbooks - I just personally don't really see too much of a point to do so, unless it's to refresh your memory about a course you took a long time ago that is a prereq for a course you're about to take. For example if you placed out of Chemistry I and are taking Chem II in your sophomore spring semester or something.

As far as the MCAT, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to kind of follow along with a review book so you get an idea of what will be on the thing. I just wouldn't really recommend starting to prepare for it this early (what are you, a freshman?) since you'll forget it all by the time you need to seriously prepare.

Members don't see this ad :)
thirdunity said:

I'm thinking of buying the book for each of my science prereq classes months *before* the class starts, getting the review cards, and seeing if I can get a head-start... does this help anyone? Anyone done this?

Also, will it help me if I get an MCAT review book, so that I can stay on track with what I need to know from each class I take?

I do this with math classes and it *works* - but does this work for science classes? Never tried it there.

It might help a little...but...its really upto your professor how what material you will cover. some i've had had skipped chapters or disregardered certain topics. your call.

methane ethane propane butane pentate hexane heptane octane nonane decane. Then maybe you can focus on the naming of the constituent groups. They run through this stuff pretty quick and then start using the terms regularly so it helps if you already know it. You might want to review what distinguishes a Lewis acid from a Lewis base and the s and p hybrid orbitals, like sp3 sp2 and sp.

Getting the MCAT review book might help, I would just focus on trying to learn the material and focus on everything since you want an A anyways. It's pretty easy to go back and get down the MCAT material.

Yeah I'd definitely recommend this. I read and did the problems for a bunch of ochem chapters and was so ahead of the game when the class started. See if you can get the syllabus for the instructor you'll have to know what chapters to read and assigned problems. You'll have more free time to devote to other classes, working out, etc. and you will thank yourself later. In my case it saved me from the burnout that arises with taking 4-5 science classes each semester.

thirdunity said:

quit being such a gunner. orgo is nothing too bad.

If the instructor at your institution has a web page for the course download the syllabus and get the book and study the material specified in the syllabus before hand. You can also ask people who have taken the course before for the syllabus if there is no web site. Make sure the instructor that usually teaches the course will be teaching in the upcoming semester(i.e. won't get replaced as instructor for the course by another person, take a leave, or be on sabbatical).

if you have to prepare for orgo 1 in advance than you are never going to survive med school. haha I'm just playing. I would just look throught briefly and try to learn the nomenclature. I'd wait for the class to try to learn the nitty gritty.

thirdunity said:

You sure can. Want to prep for Ochem? Study hard when you're taking General chem. Want to prep for Biochem? Study hard when you're taking ochem. Want to prep for physics? Study hard when you're taking calculus. And so on...

I think the best way to prepare for orgo would be to do really well in your general chemistry courses. Orgo gets a reputation for being this big, bad, impossible course... but the fact is, the people who understood general chemistry did very well in orgo, too. While it's not exactly the same, it's not all that different in terms of the concepts. Your prof isn't going to expect you to know anything going in, so just concentrate on what you're responsible for in your current classes and you'll do fine when you get to orgo.

i guess things vary from person to person, but i really don't think this is necessary. enjoy you summer while you can. forget the books. volunteer. intern. do something that you won't have the chance to do later.
i've had many classes (endocrinology, general physiology, cell biology) where the teachers tell you the book as a "reference" because all of the info on their test comes from their in class notes. i actually did worse in these classes when i was naive and insisted i would read the book because it took forever and other people (wiser people) were smarter with their time and just read the notes.

i can't imagine reading the book months before classes start even if you do have a syllabus. i really don't think you need to do this to do well.

I would say to work on the underpinnings. For physics, review trig. For general chemistry, review algebra. Oh, it's fine to memorize some basic facts about the functional groups and all that, but general chemistry is really just a math class with really cool word problems. For o-chem, review Lewis structures (you should be able to draw them with half your brain tied behind your back), Bronsted-Lowry acids and bases vs. Lewis acids and bases, basic concepts of equilibrium, orbital shapes, and, sure, go ahead and memorize the nomenclature of the functional groups.

Then when you start o-chem focus on the following:

1. Memorize the reactions and reagents with flash cards.
2. Draw reaction mechanisms until you are sick of them, until it is obvious to you where the electrons are going and why they're going there. When you learn reversible reactions, draw them backwards and forwards until you can recognize all the steps.
3. Do synthesis problems. I do not agree that you have to run all over creation looking for more and more synthesis problems to do--any decent textbook will have plenty, and it doesn't actually hurt you to do some of them over again.

nicholonious said:
It might help a little...but...its really upto your professor how what material you will cover. some i've had had skipped chapters or disregardered certain topics. your call.
Second that. Some profs taught directly out of the book, some ignored it entirely. I'd check a previous years' webpage or talk to someone that's taken it.

I went back last summer to finish up my second semester of o-chem (13 years after fininishing the first sem!). What really saved my a$$, aside from pure terror, was a book titled "Organic Chemistry as a Second Language" and the summary in my MCAT review books. Admittedly, I pulled a "B-", but I'm also starting med school this July, so it was good enough.

I would have to agree with the other posts above that the best preparation is to understand the basics of your pre-reqs (trig, algebra, gen chem). Not understanding the basics leaves some serious holes in your understanding and retention of the more advanced subjects.

yah getting a head start is definetly good for some people and the only way to know if it is good for you is to do it; but dont just get ahead, stay ahead! knowing what they are talking about in lecture beforehand puts you at a big advantage and helps you learn the material better