Can I get in anywhere in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissMaro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first time posting. I'd like to know what my chances are in getting into the Carrib, DO, or MD school.

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.125
sciGPA: 2.7 (major was Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development)
prereqGPA: 3.4
MCAT: I'm taking in mid August, but my practice exams are coming in at around 26.
-1 year clinical research in breast oncology at Mayo Clinic (with tons of patient interaction)
-2 strong recommendations from MDs here at Mayo, one of which used to be the Dean of Admissions here at Mayo.
-1 year ER volunteer
-1 year lab technician
-1 year tutored inner city kids in an afterschool program called Upward Bound

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

This is my first time posting. I'd like to know what my chances are in getting into the Carrib, DO, or MD school.

Here are my stats:
cGPA: 3.125
sciGPA: 2.7 (major was Genetics, Cell Biology, and Development)
prereqGPA: 3.4
MCAT: I'm taking in mid August, but my practice exams are coming in at around 26.
-1 year clinical research in breast oncology at Mayo Clinic (with tons of patient interaction)
-2 strong recommendations from MDs here at Mayo, one of which used to be the Dean of Admissions here at Mayo.
-1 year ER volunteer
-1 year lab technician
-1 year tutored inner city kids in an afterschool program called Upward Bound

MD in the US is not attainable at this time. You would need to do an SMP, and bring your MCAT to more like 32.

DO is more feasible. You would need a year of postbac retaking all the courses you got a C or below (or even C+). The DO school application system (AACOMAS) only computes your newest grade into the GPA, letting you "raise" your GPA must faster than the MD system (AMCAS), which simply averages the grades. A year of 4.0 postbac should pull your GPA to like 3.1-3.2 science, and ~3.4 overall. With an MCAT of about 28-29, you would be a reasonable candidate for DO.

I would highly recommend either of the above options before you look into the Caribbean. The attrition rate there is ridiculous, and the residency is also difficult, not to mention the often-heard-of licensing issues later in the careers of MDs from the island schools.

DO is more feasible. You would need a year of postbac retaking all the courses you got a C or below (or even C+). The DO school application system (AACOMAS) only computes your newest grade into the GPA, letting you "raise" your GPA must faster than the MD system (AMCAS), which simply averages the grades. A year of 4.0 postbac should pull your GPA to like 3.1-3.2 science, and ~3.4 overall. With an MCAT of about 28-29, you would be a reasonable candidate for DO.

Do you really think it's worth retaking a class you got a C in? Because at my school I don't think they'll factor the new grade in and if one's aim is an MD, it seems that it would be just better to take another class, preferably more difficult, to show that you are academically capable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really think it's worth retaking a class you got a C in? Because at my school I don't think they'll factor the new grade in and if one's aim is an MD, it seems that it would be just better to take another class, preferably more difficult, to show that you are academically capable.

I was advising retaking classes if planning to apply to DO schools, not MD schools - sorry for the confusion!

Maybe at your undergrad school a repeated class doesn't count, but with AMCAS they will figure in both grades regardless of how your university handles it. You are correct that there is more than one way to redeem a C. Besides repeating the class, which is a good idea if the class was a prerequisite and you didn't understand it well enough to excel on the MCAT, you could also take a higher-level course in the same series and do well.

Maybe at your undergrad school a repeated class doesn't count, but with AMCAS they will figure in both grades regardless of how your university handles it. You are correct that there is more than one way to redeem a C. Besides repeating the class, which is a good idea if the class was a prerequisite and you didn't understand it well enough to excel on the MCAT, you could also take a higher-level course in the same series and do well.

I think retaking a class you got a C in to prepare for the MCAT is not worth it since classes usually go into a lot more detail than what is actually required. Also, you might as well take harder classes that will actually count towards your degree and by this notion, retaking a class you got a C in is somewhat a waste of time, IMO. And besides, that C is still going to be there. :(

I was advising retaking classes if planning to apply to DO schools, not MD schools - sorry for the confusion!

I hope you guys aren't talking about my post (quoted). Cuz if so, what I'm trying to say has been twisted, turned, and no longer is even relevant lol :p