Can i get in with a 3.9, 27 (9,9,9) mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amoxicillin

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do i have a chance and where? im a white male as well.

I got a 25 the first time, and now a 27.

Members don't see this ad.

amoxicillin said:

Better start reading up on those Caribbean/D.O. schools!

(maybe some low tier u.s. med schools)

of course u can get in... those numbers are competitive... but u may not get in if you lack extracurriculars, have no clinical experience, suck at interviewing, and reside in cali

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a friend with a 3.96 and 26. It hurt them far more than you would imagine. You will get in somewhere but apply very widely. Focus on your MCAT as you plan your strategy. You will then be happy with what interviews you get. Since these scores are for screening, the MCAT takes on more significance than it deserves in the face of your awesome grade point.
Best of luck

amoxicillin said:

I don't know how the retake would affect you but the 9,9,9 MCAT and 3.9 GPA were EXACTLY my stats. Also, i'm female, don't know if that really makes a difference.

I got into a couple of great schools, waitlisted at a top-ten school, but had a total of 3 interviews from the 20 schools i applied to. I did apply mostly to the top tier schools, but i was surprised when the interviews I got were from stronger med schools while rejections came from some schools I'd counted on as being more "safe".

The 3 schools that granted me interviews seemed to have a philosophy of wanting well-rounded students and seemed to pay attention to the entire application and acheivements other than straight numbers. So, ask around for advice on what schools have this kind of philosophy. I found out just by luck, and if i'd known such a distinction in admission philosophy was out there i'd have applied to more such schools.

Nevertheless, it only take one acceptance for one to be on the road towards medicine, and i just feel so lucky to have even had a CHOICE to make. I would have been thrilled to go to either school that honored me with an acceptance.

if you an URM, then your stats are fine. besides that, you want to show the adcom that your GPA is validated by atleast a 30 on the MCAT. I would suggest taking it again, you'll have a lot more options if you bring it up.

Mateodaspy said:
(maybe some low tier u.s. med schools)

like??? :rolleyes:
anyway...i think u should bring ur MCAT score up at the very least 2 pnts, that should do it.

Lower tier US schools like NYMC and Drexel.

A friend of mine with a 26 and 3.9 got in. Good Luck

amoxicillin said:

Easily! :thumbup: Do not retake the MCAT - apply early and you'll get in. A near perfect GPA and an MCAT of 26 or greater is MORE than enough for a state school and many private schools - as long as you have solid extracurriculars and present yourself well at interview. I would apply to a 'wide range' of schools and no less than 10. I have a hard time believing you can't get into an allopathic school with those numbers; many have done it before you and many will do it after you. Ignore the naysayers and realize that there's a little jealosy in many posts, and that many of the most negative posters here are often reapplicants or those who have taken the MCAT more than once.....meaning "they've paid their dues and you need to too." Follow your heart and you will not go wrong.

:luck: You never know till you try. I got in with similar stats to state schools in Michigan.

just wanted to say I got in this year with a 25- 9, 8,8, 3.9GPA, some extracurriculars and 3 research internships. I applied to some top tier schools- 15 schools in all, completed 10 secondaries, got 4 interviews, 1 waitlist and 1 acceptance so far. I feel lucky bcos practically everyone said I should take the MCAT again and thought I wouldnt make it. Good luck to you, whatever u decide.

just my opinion, but with that extremely good gpa (what is your science gpa, by the way), i would think that most schools would expect a 30+ on your mcat. they may view your school's curriculum as being soft.

that being said, i still believe you have an excellent chance of getting into a mid/lower tier school, and depending on your ECs, possibly a top 25 school.

i have a 3.8 and a 27 and have had three MD interviews. So far 1 acceptance and i am waiting on the other two schools. Def apply early and have good clinical experience

Friendly said:
Useless - it basically ignores ECs and screens based on a high GPA.

I agree -- the program generated a list of only schools I was rejected by and none that I got interest from -- don't rely on it.
As to the OP, you are going to want to apply to a ton of schools -- probably more than 20.