Apr 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hello, I am a pre-vet student at IUPUI and am about to apply to Purdue this year. I just wanted to post to everyone to see what you all think of my chances this go around. My grades are ok. I think I will end up with a 3.2 or 3.3 depending on the next semester. I have had a few C's and one in Micro. I have tried and tried and nothing I do in there is making a difference. I have worked at two vet clinics and also volunteer at a equine clinic. I also have shown dogs and horses since I was very little. I was the number 1 jr handler in the country for a few years and have been to Westminster. I also have taken ai classes for school and my own benefit of living on a farm. I was the student rep for a vet tech program my school started. I was never working towards vet tech I just spent a lot of time with the vet at our school and he asked me to help. So I have alot going on outside my grades but am still very nervous about getting in. I have considered other careers just in case but cant seem to find one I would be very happy in. I really was just wondering if anyone could give me some advise and/or opinions of my chances.
Thanks for the help!!

BlacKAT33

UPenn c/o 2014!! :)
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Looks like you've got some animal/vet experience which is good because you will need that to get in with your lower GPA. Have you taken the GREs yet? I think you are on the right track. It is possible to get in with Cs on your transcript. Just make sure to stay ahead of the game. If you are applying this year, get your eLORs figured out and make sure they know you well, study really hard for the GRE, start your personal statement early so you get tons of advice and it is perfection by the time you submit it! I don't know if Purdue has essays in their supplemental but also work on those early. I was able to get in with 4 Cs on my transcript but I really rocked every other part of the application process. Good luck :luck:

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
Just so you know, a 3.2/3.3 is generally "below average" for vet school admissions. It's definitely possible to get in, as I have a 3.2, but difficult. Don't expect to get in your first try, and honestly, you should apply to more schools than just Purdue. I believe they focus very highly on your GPA/GRE scores. Some of it will depend on the rigor of your undergrad, your prereq GPA, and your last 45 GPA. If those are strong, it can overcome a lower GPA.

Look at schools that take large numbers of OOS students, or allow you to become residents after the first year.

Your experience sounds good, and pretty varied, but honestly, there are no gauranteees. I know people with 3.7s and tons of experience that didnt get in their first application cycle.

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
What are your C's in? Are they gen-eds or pre-req/science courses? Your GPA is low for get schools, so I would absolutely apply to more than 1 school. Consider schools that take lots of OOS students, or schools that tend to be more lenient towards cGPA. Do you have a string science GPA or a strong upward trend? Both of those will help offset a lower GPA.

Mar 23, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
I would definitely apply to more then just Purdue but its not impossible for you to get in. I got in on my first try this app cycle to my in state with a GPA about the same as yours and even lower when the +/-'s were factored out.

I did only apply to my in state because I didn't think I had a prayer of getting in this cycle anyway but wanted the experience. If you're stellar everywhere else poor grades can be overcome but its tough. You're really going to have to shine in your personal statement,LORs and interview. Play up all your experience and take full responsibility for your grades while stressing what you learned from them/how you've improved.

Its really intimidating applying against all the 3.6+ gpas out there but its possible!

Apr 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
The C's I have made are in Cal and Micro, The rest of my higher level classes have all been A and B. My Lor's are going to be the best I can get for sure. I have all this support from the vets I have worked with and still working with but I'm still so nervous. I also am married and grew up with a single mom. None of this can justify my grades but I have not been able to take a full course load till this semester bc I have had to work full time through the school year. It is hard bc I know I would be a great vet if given the chance. Thanks so much for the help I will use it!!!

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Hey, I've got a string science GPA. I wish it was strong, but well, what are you going do :p
well I epically fail. Guess I should go back to grade school and learn how to spell before vet school...maybe :D

Marsala

Western C/O 2016!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2009
between L.A. and the I.E.
Status
Veterinary Student
I won't discourage you from applying, but I will give you what I feel is a helpful tidbit. I am currently a graduate student at Purdue, and have a lot of connections at the vet school. The dirty little secret about Purdue's vet school is that OOS students are given preference over in-state. This isn't to say that IS students don't get in, but it is super competitive. (this isn't just hearsay, either. This came directly out of the mouths of faculty members, one who even went on to say that the OOS numbers are proudly highlighted at faculty meetings.) Apparently offers go to OOS first, and then the spots not taken are filled in with IS. It boils down to the fact that OOS students bring in more tuition $.

Again, not to discourage, because I plan on applying as well. But I plan on doing so knowing that I have a better chance as an Indiana resident at an OOS school.

KKibo

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Two of the vets I work for got in with GPAs below 3.2 (one made straight C's in all chemistry courses :eek: and got in on her first try!). The important thing is to pick a school that doesn't put too much weight on your overall GPA, Do good on the GRE, and have a good personality!!!

Your experience sounds good, so keep that up!

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I got in with C's in physics I, gen chem II, ochem II, and biochem I (though I got an A on retake for that one - turns out taking biochem before taking gen bio is not a wise idea :rolleyes: ).

For real, do better in classes as you can, but shine in other ways too!

parietal

Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
Two of the vets I work for got in with GPAs below 3.2 (one made straight C's in all chemistry courses :eek: and got in on her first try!).
This is very likely true. But I think there is more than anecdotal evidence that vet school admissions have become much more competitive in the last decade or so. I considered applying back when I was a traditional student and although it was still difficult to get in and some of the requirements were tougher (Calc!), the acceptance rates -- especially for in state -- were much higher.

So just because your favorite vet got lots of C's doesn't mean we can now. :cool:

ETA: Nyanko, of course, is an exception because she rocks in so many other ways... :)

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
I got in with C's in physics I, gen chem II, ochem II, and biochem I (though I got an A on retake for that one - turns out taking biochem before taking gen bio is not a wise idea :rolleyes: ).

For real, do better in classes as you can, but shine in other ways too!

Yeah, I had C's in Calc ('nuff said), Repro Physiology (loved the class, had a lot of health issues that semester), Spanish (who the in registrars office had the brilliant idea of putting me intermediate spanish when basic didn't fit my schedule???), and Ochem II.

Had a bunch of B- too in the chems/ochems/biochems, and in one semester of Anat/Phys. Yikes!

So yeah, definitely not impossible, but it makes life more difficult!

jmcgintee

OSU c/o 2014!!!!
Dec 10, 2009
Columbus, OH
Status
Veterinary Student
some schools will look at your last 30-45 credit GPA too. If that is strong it will help. My best advice to anyone...GRE GRE GRE!!!! I did not get in my first try. No interviews or anything! :( I received multiple interview offers this year and was accepted to vet school and the only major difference was a 150 jump in my GRE scores. I also had a near perfect last 45 credit GPA which helped but I'm convinced that the GRE made all the difference.

You can always go to grad school too! This may help to improve your GPA if you don't get in this round and then you can reapply.

Good Luck!!!

cowgirla

Oklahoma 2014
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2009
mid-atlantic
Status
Veterinarian
My best advice to anyone...GRE GRE GRE!!!! I did not get in my first try. No interviews or anything! :( I received multiple interview offers this year and was accepted to vet school and the only major difference was a 150 jump in my GRE scores.

Good Luck!!!
:thumbup: this.

Same here, 7 rejections last year, no interviews. Granted, I think three of those schools didnt interview at all.

GRE jumped from 1100 to 1220, took a Public Speaking prereq, and got 4 interviews/3 waitlists/2 acceptances.

Mar 23, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
This is very likely true. But I think there is more than anecdotal evidence that vet school admissions have become much more competitive in the last decade or so. I considered applying back when I was a traditional student and although it was still difficult to get in and some of the requirements were tougher (Calc!), the acceptance rates -- especially for in state -- were much higher.

So just because your favorite vet got lots of C's doesn't mean we can now. :cool:

ETA: Nyanko, of course, is an exception because she rocks in so many other ways... :)
:shrug: I had a ton of C's....9 to be exact. 5 of them in the 'biggie' prereqs. Lots of B's too and I got in on my first try this year as a traditional student.

I think my experience was diverse and extensive enough to counter act those grades plus my last 45 were 'C free' but still not stellar (3.4). I had an average GRE score (1250) too. I will say I think I managed to stand out by graduating early and landing a really great 'real world' job right out of school. I don't know...maybe it helped prove I am a capable, intelligent person if a bio research company wanted/trusted me on their team.

Anyway, there's no secret recipe and I wish I was able to say I had a 4.0 in my undergrad but I didn't so I did everything I could think of to stand out. So it's possible but it's much harder to be noticed. I have no idea why they chose me over so many 3.8+ applicants with great experience but I'm beyond happy/grateful! You just have to hope the ad comm can see through a few stumbles to give you a fair evaluation.

ginger17317

UF c/o 2014
Dec 14, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
At time of application my GPA wasn't stellar - I truly believe that the couple things that I was involved in that made me stand out from everyone else were what got me interviews.

Make a list - compare all the vet schools. I made a chart and looked at things like out-of-state acceptance rates, GPA requirements, pre-reqs, price - I mean, whatever is important to you - include a column on your chart.
You're GPA might limit where you apply, but I don't think you should count yourself out. Take your GRE's and see how you do - I mean, if they're good, go for it - you can always explain why your grades are as they are, esp. if there's an extenuating circumstance.

But I'm learning grades aren't the end-all be-all - Try your hardest to let who you are shine through that application!

adaniell0

Western U. Class of 2014
Mar 13, 2010
Milwaukee
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I think, if you play your cards right, your chances of getting into vet school are as good as anybody else's. By playing you cards right I mean: apply to a lot of schools, have a real message addressing your "faults" when writing your personal and when answering any supplemental question (you can make any question work for you), and study your butt off for the GRE, even if it means not working - that extra few hundred bucks will not mean anything when you're a vet.

I applied this year with a 3.09, and I was accepted.

Sorry I didn't mean to get so fired up, I'm new to SDN. I joined after I got my acceptance. I wish you the very best.

Apr 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Thanks guys I have been so worried. I mean the semester is not over and I might still be able to pull off a B in Micro. Then the summer classes will really pull up my GPA, if I get A's.

adaniell0 that is great and am so happy you got in. What school did you apply to so I can apply also...lol

adaniell0

Western U. Class of 2014
Mar 13, 2010
Milwaukee
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I applied to Western University of Health Sciences in Los Angeles, CA, and about a million other schools.:laugh:

KKibo

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary

True, but they graduated in the last 2-3 years :cool:. In my opinion, and obviously it isn't true with all schools, your grades get the interview...you get the acceptance. You can have a 4.0 GPA/1400+ on the GRE and easily not get in because you dont have personality, experience, maturity, ambitions, etc,.

BomberCanoe

UTK c/o 2014
Mar 8, 2010
Raleigh
Status
Veterinary Student
I second what KKibo said. The grades often get you past the first cutoff, and into the interview. Sometimes, there's even a second cutoff based on experience, before the interview. At my two interviews, the professors/vets were not given my grades, and had no knowledge whatsoever whether I was right at the cutoff, or well above. So you definitely want to look into which schools put less emphasis on GPA and GRE, and more on experience (which you seem to have a good variety of- I'd definitely recommend doing something with exotics this summer if possible, I volunteered at a local museum that had a variety of animals).

If you're still worried that grades are everything, don't. I had about a 3.78 GPA, with a 1440 GRE, and I was still rejected from 3 schools (2 of which I wasn't even offered interviews). But that was because I lacked the variety of experience that you have. So again, find a school that has a GPA cutoff that you're above, and your experience should get you the rest of the way.

KKibo

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Hey Bomber, is UTK your instate? (Just wondering since it is where I'm hoping to go and there's only a handful of UTK people on here)

parietal

Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
If you're still worried that grades are everything, don't. I had about a 3.78 GPA, with a 1440 GRE, and I was still rejected from 3 schools (2 of which I wasn't even offered interviews). But that was because I lacked the variety of experience that you have. So again, find a school that has a GPA cutoff that you're above, and your experience should get you the rest of the way.
True, but they graduated in the last 2-3 years :cool:. In my opinion, and obviously it isn't true with all schools, your grades get the interview...you get the acceptance. You can have a 4.0 GPA/1400+ on the GRE and easily not get in because you dont have personality, experience, maturity, ambitions, etc,.
Experience helps, but just being above the cutoff isn't everything. And just because you can have good grades and not get in doesn't mean the inverse is true. I strongly agree that your grades need to be balanced with experience and personal characteristics, but adcoms want to make sure they students the select can survive the tough curriculum. Grades -- especially prereq grades -- are a big part of that, I think.

I have a friend who was animal science major and has a TON of small animal, farm animal, equine and zoo experience. Her overall GPA isn't horrible, I think about a 3.2, and her GREs are in the high 1100s. BUT she had three or four C's in prereqs, including O-Chem. This is her third year and she applied to more than a dozen schools and was rejected everywhere again. Her file reviews all said that her prereq grades were the primary factor. Based on her reviews, she is not optimistic about next year and doesn't feel that she could do better if she retook the courses.

So OP, do go for it. You have some very unique experience and I think you would be a great candidate. BUT make sure you have a plan B. My friend didn't and has absolutely no idea what she's going to do now. :(

Last edited:

BomberCanoe

UTK c/o 2014
Mar 8, 2010
Raleigh
Status
Veterinary Student
Unfortunately, UTK is my out of state. I say unfortunately because of financial regions, not anything against the school. I'm definitely not the person to ask about the school, as all I know is what I found online, heard on here, or saw during the interview.

From what I've seen, its a good school, and the program sounds great. Definitely look into the ABLES program that they have- from what I've heard, every semester, you get into groups, and do a sort of diagnostic project. They give you a case, and you apply everything you know to sort of solve it. I've got the sheet about it somewhere, so if you want to know more, I can eventually get up and actually grab it. I know critterfixer currently attends there, so maybe try sending a PM. You could also call Deborah Shepherd (phone number is on the website), as she's been nothing but enthusiastic and helpful during this whole process. Sorry I can't tell ya more.

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
doesn't feel that she could do better if she retook the courses.
I think that might be the problem. Ad coms might think 'if she can't do better than a C on several pre-reqs, even with more time & experience with the material, will she be able to get a C in our reqs?'

Ben and Me

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Some schools also take into account the "competitiveness" of your undergrad - so, in some schools' minds, a 3.4 does not always equal a 3.4. Other schools don't care where that 3.4 came from, as long as it is on a college transcript. Just something to consider when you're tossing around all these anecdotal stories. :)

parietal

Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
I think that might be the problem. Ad coms might think 'if she can't do better than a C on several pre-reqs, even with more time & experience with the material, will she be able to get a C in our reqs?'
Exactly. And in vet school you don't exactly get extra time with the material.

After seeing some of my 3.9 friends struggle with the vet school curriculum load, I understand a lot better why some adcoms are picky about grades.

Granted, there are lots of exceptions, but if a 3.9 student who worked through undergrad struggles, how is a 2.8 student who didn't going to do?

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
After seeing some of my 3.9 friends struggle with the vet school curriculum load,
I'm going to start referring to myself as a 3.1 person. While we're labeling people with GPAs as if they were very descriptive adjectives, anyway. ;)

Can't we label people by GREs instead so I could be something more respectable?

parietal

Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!
10+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Veterinary Student
I'm going to start referring to myself as a 3.1 person. While we're labeling people with GPAs as if they were very descriptive adjectives, anyway. ;)

Can't we label people by GREs instead so I could be something more respectable?
Hee! :) I am sorry, though. I didn't mean for my shorthand labels to be offensive. :oops: I have really mixed feelings on the whole GPA thing, and I never seem to express them properly.

I myself was a 3.3 person ;) during my previous undergrad career and am certain that at that point in my life I was NOT ready for vet school. Now I have a 3.85 :D, and I am pretty sure that I'm as ready as I can be. And I am very glad that vet schools didn't hold my cumulative 3.5 against me.

So all that probably shapes my views.

Also, I've seen several people in my pre-vet group with really terrible study habits and grades (I'm talking about failing prereq courses multiple times) waste years of their lives when they really should have moved on to an alternate plan. Those that have found their plan Bs are much happier and those who have not are depressed and miserable.

So that shapes me, too.

I've also seen others with bad first years come back, graduate with honors and get into their dream vet school.

So I am paradoxically irritated both when people blindly encourage students with poor grades to pursue vet school and when they shut them down entirely.

I think what it all boils down to is whether you can improve. Adcoms at some schools seem forgiving of poor grades (and god knows, I had some pretty damn poor ones! :oops:) as long as they are convinced you have changed. If you can't convince them of that, I don't think your chances are good. But if you can and are a compelling candidate in other ways, I think you are in pretty good shape.

So, apologies to all for the ultra-long post. OP, I hope my rambling thoughts help you in some way. And Nyanko, apologies again for my thoughtless labels.

nyanko

total trash mammal
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
CoMo
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I am paradoxically irritated both when people blindly encourage students with poor grades to pursue vet school and when they shut them down entirely.
I think that the problem is that you're trying to characterize "with poor grades" as an indicator for some particular quality on its own, and it really isn't.

Adcoms use GPA because it's a number and on their own, numbers are objective. Objective means easy to compare and rank. Same goes for GRE scores. There are a LOT of applicants to compare and rank and there really has to be some way to throw numbers at the process. Statistically, it is more likely that selecting applicants with higher numbers will yield a higher proportion of students who perform well in DVM coursework than using a random selection will.

However, as so very many different studies and erroneous inferences from statistical data have told us, statistical measures that were characterized for describing a population are not quite so valid when applied to individual cases. One example of this is BMI, which is useful for measuring trends in obesity over time in a population and finding correlations between overweight/obesity and various health problems, dietary choices, socioeconomic status and attitudes, but is not really meant to be used alone for judging an individual's personal health risks. To determine a person's risk for heart disease, combining BMI with family history, body fat percentage, lifestyle and habits, and of course examination, etc will give you a more complete picture. EVEN THOUGH the study in front of you says that high BMI is correlated with heart disease, it doesn't necessarily mean that your individual patient with BMI = 31 is more likely to get heart disease than your individual patient with BMI = 28.

I hope that analogy made sense. Misuse of statistical measures meant to describe a population for judgment of individuals is one of my personal pet peeves, and the dichotomy you have in your brain, parietal, is directly linked to that particular fallacy. In other words, there's overlap between the distributions of a 3.1 GPA and a 3.8 GPA on the imaginary made up scale of "possession of factors which contribute to success in veterinary school" and an individual could fall anywhere in their GPA's distribution even though the mean for 3.8 might be significantly higher than the mean for a 3.1 I'd draw it out, but I have a feeling I've rambled enough about this issue. :laugh:

No real personal offense taken - if I were insecure about my prior performance I might have taken offense but I'm not, so...

philomycus

The Tree Rat
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
In an oak tree...
Status
Veterinarian
1030 on GRE

I got in. Took me 3 times though, but don't let anyone ever tell you you can't do this. I had people telling me that my whole life.

It may take you longer, you may have to work even harder, but you can do it. You may have to move to establish residency to increase your chances at another school. But the point is you make the committment for whatever you need to do and you get it done.

10+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Granted, there are lots of exceptions, but if a 3.9 student who worked through undergrad struggles, how is a 2.8 student who didn't going to do?
If it's something you really want... it doesn't matter if you have a 2.8 or a 4.0... if it's ment to be, it's ment to be. One of the vets I volunteer with doesn't know how she got in on her first try... she had a 60-something in calculus and a few other poor grades. Her advisor told her not to bother applying. She applied, got in, and she is an awesome, caring vet. I've run into several people who take their animals to her, and they LOVE her. She takes the time out to listen to what the client has to say and the clients really respect her for it.

I know two people with 4.0s who got into vet school who can't even take proper care of some of their animals... and well... all I'm going to say is that if vet school doesn't change their attitudes towards things like pet care and if they don't get their sets of values straightened out... then I'll never be taking my animals to them.

It makes me *headdesk* a little that they managed to slip through the cracks and got accepted.

Seriously... I *nicely* explained to one person why goldfish don't do well in bowls and gave her the link to my favorite fish forum. She said, "All of my goldfish have lived in bowls. He's two years old and FINE." It gets a LOT worse than that but I won't go any further!

Good luck evet! You're not alone! There are quite a few of us going through the same thing.

Dec 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Veterinary
Apply to UIUC. They take quite a few OOS people and only look at GPA/GRE once. I do believe that last year (I heard on here somewhere) they had a cutoff of 3.4, but I think that it was lower this year. After the initial cut, they don't look at it anymore.

EDIT: I should say the OOS cutoff last year I read was 3.4 (someone heard on their file review or something.)

Last edited: