Can I get into an Oral Surgery residency if:

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarcusA121

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throughout dental school I’ve had the pleasure of failing in many things and I would often find myself searching for some variation of “can I get into an OS residency if (insert latest setback)”. I am surrounded by exceptional people not only in my class but in the classes above me and the residents/faculty I interacted with. I think it’s very easy to assume you must be god’s gift to Oral Surgery to have a shot at getting in. I thought I’d share a few of my many failures to show that at least one resident is not.

-Objectively the worst waxing skills in dental school class including the kid who dropped out week 2.

-Failed a practical that essentially consisted of “can you walk and breathe at the same time”

-School record holder in practical retakes

-Had a few faculty evals that will help motivate me to jump out of bed in the morning even when I’m 102.

-National record holder for lowest [cbse score/hours studied]. And I retook that bad boy a couple times

-tons of Bs. And all of them stung.

It’s also worth saying I had no special circumstances like a program director as a parent, underrepresented class, illness/hardship overcome or anything exceptional of that nature. All my failures can be traced to the man in the mirror.

While it didn’t feel easy, I do not think I barely got in. Even with those failures (and tons more not listed) I had 10+ interviews and matched very high on my list. So it wasn’t a lucky opportunity that can’t be replicated.

There are many people on these forums that know more about OS, the application process, etc. But if I can help anyone in any aspect please DM me whether it’s today or 15 years from now. Especially if you need someone to say “yes it’s still possible” after a big failure. And I tried my best to refrain from giving advice because in the grand scheme of things I don’t have the credentials to offer it yet, but I will say that once I realized that OS is worth pursuing no matter what a lot of the pressure was lifted. If you want to do this to the point that 1,2,or 15 non-cat intern years isn’t too high a price then there is nothing to stress about. Put that energy towards learning from your failures and weaknesses. This got long-winded but I would have appreciated a similar post to refer back to these past couple years and I figured it might help someone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 35 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Top 1/3 and 70+. No intern year. No research. Maybe average ECs. If anyone else further along the path has some failures to share that would be pretty cool too.

Reactions: 1 user
Good post. I too failed a practical, did poorly on a test or two, and retook the cbse more than once. Ended up matching at my top ranked program. Any of these things (especially a poor cbse score) can make you doubt you can do it. At least at my school, where everyone seems to retake the cbse, it’s persistence not innate genius that gets the job done.

Reactions: 3 users
I had a similar experience...i actually did very poorly in dental school...i was responsible for a patient death...i was codensing gutta percha into what i thought was MB2...but it turned out to be the patient’s R bronchus...i probably should’ve known from the muffled screams and patient convulsing...and the fact that i used a half gallon of gutta percha...but i’m not an endodontist.

and i still matched into the #1 omfs program in the damn country...well to be a little more specific...i should say i post matched into one of the top 3 omfs programs in shreveport, louisiana. And i have no regrets other than my career choice.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 22 users
Thanks for sharing Sublimazing. Seems like it could happen to anyone, and at least you got the patient out of pain. It’s cool to see how you bounced back from that. I’ve heard great things about Shreveport but the no internet in Louisiana and the certificate not transferable to the US scared me off.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Throughout dental school I’ve had the pleasure of failing in many things and I would often find myself searching for some variation of “can I get into an OS residency if (insert latest setback)”. I am surrounded by exceptional people not only in my class but in the classes above me and the residents/faculty I interacted with. I think it’s very easy to assume you must be god’s gift to Oral Surgery to have a shot at getting in. I thought I’d share a few of my many failures to show that at least one resident is not.

-Objectively the worst waxing skills in dental school class including the kid who dropped out week 2.

-Failed a practical that essentially consisted of “can you walk and breathe at the same time”

-School record holder in practical retakes

-Had a few faculty evals that will help motivate me to jump out of bed in the morning even when I’m 102.

-National record holder for lowest [cbse score/hours studied]. And I retook that bad boy a couple times

-tons of Bs. And all of them stung.

It’s also worth saying I had no special circumstances like a program director as a parent, underrepresented class, illness/hardship overcome or anything exceptional of that nature. All my failures can be traced to the man in the mirror.

While it didn’t feel easy, I do not think I barely got in. Even with those failures (and tons more not listed) I had 10+ interviews and matched very high on my list. So it wasn’t a lucky opportunity that can’t be replicated.

There are many people on these forums that know more about OS, the application process, etc. But if I can help anyone in any aspect please DM me whether it’s today or 15 years from now. Especially if you need someone to say “yes it’s still possible” after a big failure. And I tried my best to refrain from giving advice because in the grand scheme of things I don’t have the credentials to offer it yet, but I will say that once I realized that OS is worth pursuing no matter what a lot of the pressure was lifted. If you want to do this to the point that 1,2,or 15 non-cat intern years isn’t too high a price then there is nothing to stress about. Put that energy towards learning from your failures and weaknesses. This got long-winded but I would have appreciated a similar post to refer back to these past couple years and I figured it might help someone.
I understand how you feel. I’m not OS but I’m going into Endo this summer. Long story less long I was pretty low in my class rank. I applied to Endo for 5 years and after so many rejections you question “is this even for me?”. No matter how you look at rejections suck. You feel like you’re doing everything right and no one is noticing but believe me they are. Hard work pays off and I am living testament to that. You are the only one who is driving this goal to become an OS and the day you feel like it’s not what you want anymore you won’t pursue it. I’m saying all this to say keep fighting keep pushing and it will happen for you. I hope this helps.

Reactions: 10 users
I have seen many marginal candidates become OMFS residents over the years. You never know. Right place, right time. Like so many rock stars.

Reactions: 1 users
Best post I've seen on this platform in a while. Congrats bud.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for this post. From what I've seen on SDN, people make it seem like you gotta be perfect to get into OMFS. No doubt you worked hard and did great in dental school, your post shows that OMFS isn't out of reach for anyone that truly wants it. I've always been someone that pushes through obstacles rather than skillfully move past them (can't remember the last time I skated by in anything lol, its always hard work), so I'm glad to know OMFS isn't reserved for the prodigious.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I understand how you feel. I’m not OS but I’m going into Endo this summer. Long story less long I was pretty low in my class rank. I applied to Endo for 5 years and after so many rejections you question “is this even for me?”. No matter how you look at rejections suck. You feel like you’re doing everything right and no one is noticing but believe me they are. Hard work pays off and I am living testament to that. You are the only one who is driving this goal to become an OS and the day you feel like it’s not what you want anymore you won’t pursue it. I’m saying all this to say keep fighting keep pushing and it will happen for you. I hope this helps.
Can I dm you some question about ur endo application?