can I get into phillipines med school with 3.09gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PerpetualStudent

Hopeful
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could finish after one more quarter at a UC-school, however my GPA has taken a nose dive. I recieved two Cs in upper division biology classes and didn't earn as many AS as I had hoped for. I am debating retaking the upper-division classes with the hopes of acing them, and possibly even re-taking one or two I recieved Cs in during community college. Considering how far I am along already, do you think this would be worth my time or should I be looking into other careers? I was considering applying to med school in the phillipines and the caribbean as well, but I am still concerned about my lackluster performance?

To be honest, I would like to simply finish up my undergrad after completing fall quarter however I might only bring my gpa up very minimally, if at all. If i finish up in the fall, are my chances totally shot? I figure in the best of circumstances after completing an additional two quarters of upper-division biology I might have better chances. I did do a few months of research and have been volunteering for a few months at the ER. I don't have stellar ECS. I anticipate bringing my gpa up to 3.5 range with the additional course work at UC or risk applying abroad and to DO schools with a 3.09 gpa. Any information or advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I could finish after one more quarter at a UC-school, however my GPA has taken a nose dive. I recieved two Cs in upper division biology classes and didn't earn as many AS as I had hoped for. I am debating retaking the upper-division classes with the hopes of acing them, and possibly even re-taking one or two I recieved Cs in during community college. Considering how far I am along already, do you think this would be worth my time or should I be looking into other careers? I was considering applying to med school in the phillipines and the caribbean as well, but I am still concerned about my lackluster performance?

To be honest, I would like to simply finish up my undergrad after completing fall quarter however I might only bring my gpa up very minimally, if at all. If i finish up in the fall, are my chances totally shot? I figure in the best of circumstances after completing an additional two quarters of upper-division biology I might have better chances. I did do a few months of research and have been volunteering for a few months at the ER. I don't have stellar ECS. I anticipate bringing my gpa up to 3.5 range with the additional course work at UC or risk applying abroad and to DO schools with a 3.09 gpa. Any information or advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.
I think you will be accepted to SOME Phil med schools. There are only two requirements for med school there. A Bachelor's degree and NMAT (being given once a year in LA). Some schools are more selective (UP and UST) but most would not mind a low GPA.
Philippines schools are not easy and they entail long hours of study (lots of memorization and exams and long daily schedule). But if your heart tells you that you want to be a doctor and willing to study hard, I don't think there will be a problem. Try inquiring with schools like UERM or DLSU or even FEU. UST also accepts foreign grad although I think their NMAT cutoff is 65 and from what I heard foreign grads have more problem adjusting to the pace in UST.

Hos difficult is the NMAT? Is it difficult to obtain a US residency graduating from such a school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hos difficult is the NMAT? Is it difficult to obtain a US residency graduating from such a school?

Most will say it's easier than MCAT. If you register with CEM they will give you a packet and just review the areas that you think might give you problem. If you're a bio major, maybe some social sciences. First part is mostly visual IQ tests.
As for residency, it will all depend on your USMLE scores. Low scores (but) passing means you will have limited choice of specialties especially as an IMG but if you put your best effort, you can pass it.

Last edited:
Do you think one is in a better position to obtain a residency after obtaining a US D.O. degree?

It does take effort to get into UP or UST, but when it comes to all other Filipino schools, a decent score on the NMAT (seriously, its NOT hard at all... a bit of studying will definitely get you 70+) and a GPA thats a 3 or better is a virtual guarantee of acceptance (of course some will ACT like its a priveledge, but believe me, they want foreign students and their foreign fees...).

Several recommendations before you continue on your path:

1) Think carefully about the option of doing a Masters in the US, taking the MCATS and then going the DO or MD route at home. There are numerous advantages to doing your MD in the US.
2) I believe the Philippines is the best offshore option for US under-performers (Schools in Israel and England and Australia will be as hard to get into as US schools, and carribean schools are in my opinion the worst option you could take). Again, consider carefully if you want to go the underperformer route (philippines), or improve your credentials and try for the US.
3) If you decide on the Philippines, you MUST appreciate the fact that the reason why you come there is because your grades suck. In addition, acknowledge the fact that at the same time, your Filipino classmates might be some of the best performers in their country - cum laudes, scholars, etc. Especially early on, you will be outbrained, outexperienced, and in general feel like a complete ***** next to them. There are several ways of ameliorating this embarrassing situation:
a. Dont choose a top school in the Philippines. Top in the Philippines does NOT mean better facilities or better professors. It means higher requirements, smarter and more prepared classmates, more focus on INSIGNIFICANT topics with the assumption that you can learn the IMPORTANT stuff on your own, and for non-geniuses it might also mean greater reliance on old exams, rather than textbooks, in order to make a passing grade. Anyway, I guarantee even a mid-ranked Philippine school will be quite a challenge. Education here is tough. Don't think you'll have any time to party (compare that with the party time carribean students get).
b. Come early. Get on that airplane and get to the Philippines this October. Second semester starts November, so take up undergrad Medical Technology subjects - I strongly recommend Anatomy and Physiology, Histology, Microbiology, and possibly Biochemistry (the latter can be taken from another major). This will orient you to the Philippine learning style (quite different), the school and the locality, and give you the necessary prerequisites to do well in Medicine early on. REMEMBER: Official prerequisites for medicine in PI is NMAT and a bachelors. However, 70% of your classmates will be licensed nurses and med techs. They will know a LOT of the first year material, and you better know some too if you wanna stay afloat.
c. Start studying on your own. Get Guyton Physiology, memorize all the bones in the body and their major surface parts, and start studying a Histology atlas.
d. Make sure everything in your life in the Philippines focuses on school. Know where you'll eat, where you'll do laundry, and when and how you'll be converting your tourist visa to a student one. Especially at first, you'll have no time for anything except studying. Learn to sleep less. This is the hardest thing you'll be doing, and most of your classmates have been working really hard in undergraduate years and they will have more experience than you in study habits. Its an uphill battle. But if I and my 2.7 undergrad GPA (including 12 failing grades) could do it, so can you.
4) Consider schools outside of Manila. If you are not a filipino, you will be treated better outside of Manila. Also there are less distractions. Finally Manila schools will charge you a $10000 enrollment fee (forgive me, "donation"). THis is subjective, but here in Cebu, I find that people speak better English than in Manila also.
5) Don't allow anyone to "help" you get into a Philipino school. They just want your money. Interview in person, enroll, and go. Ditto for your visa processing, etc.

good luck!

Do you think one is in a better position to obtain a residency after obtaining a US D.O. degree?

If you can get into a DO school, absolutely. They also have their own residency programs which MD's can't participate. But admission is also competitive and with your grades, a very high MCAT is needed. They usually take high GPA with lower MCAT or some 3.0 + with high MCAT.

I figured it would be more convenient to attend a med school in the caribbean if this is the case.