can i match pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budhia

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are my chances for pediatrics residency?

step 1: 213; step 2: 235 cs pass- all passed on 1st attempt

third year: fail ob/gyn. for failing department osce twice. (B+ shelf, B+ clinical evaluation, but these will NOT be on the dean's letter- no one will know about this). F is recorded without explanation; second time: passed the osce and all component, clinical evaluations and shelf score again above average, but these will NOT be recorded again. on deans letter it will say...met the requirement of ob/gyn second attempt. this F delayed my graduation by 6 mths.

fourth year: fail AI (peds). clerkship director said resident will tell me what to do everyday- i did exactly that- got great feedback throughout from resident. at the end 4 weeks, attending said i functioned as a 3rd year. fail.

did another AI 2mths later at a different hospital. excellent eval.

didn't match last year...
is is over?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
90+ programs

So,I had an interview at a place I really like.
PD asked me "why did you not appeal?"
My answer: I didn't think the setting was supportive. I didn't think I had anything to gain. So, I did another AI, was proactive to find out everyday expectations that I may demonstrate my true level of competence.

PD then asked "what challenges will I have an an intern?"
My answer: I wish I can say this situation will never happen to me again. But it can happen again. Although less likely because I am aware of this issue.

Do you think this is adequate or should I tell that the program I was in treated me unfairly with the appeal for ob/ gyn. I gained nothing but stress and lost time and hence my decision not to appeal.

Should I tell of the steps I took to resolve the issue? Or should I just let it be?

I really like this program. I don't want to hurt my chances by seeming to be 1) a wimp ( that I can't advocate for myself) therefore I didn't appeal neither do 2) I want to get into he say- she say stuff. So if i had to deal with malignant setting, i just did the best I can.

Thoughts?