Can I panic now?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrimsonMirage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 10 days away from Step 1 and just took NBME 7. I'm 1/3 of the way through my second pass of UWorld, I've reviewed all of FA in bits and pieces, watched/annotated all of Pathoma, and recently done some DIT over past 4.5 weeks. I wish I had discovered DIT sooner...I only did it for past three days but I got "stars" on all those topics in NBME 7.

Before today, my highest score was 235 (UWSA2) and my highest % correct overall was 75%.

I got 217 on NBME 7 with 80% correct. :( Our deans always told us that getting 80% or higher would guarantee us 250s. I guess that was a false statement. :( I really need an excellent step score b/c I'm interested in a competitive specialty, and 217 won't cut it! Morale is at an all-time low and panic-meter is through the roof!

What do I do?! Please help :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am 10 days away from Step 1 and just took NBME 7. I'm 1/3 of the way through my second pass of UWorld, I've reviewed all of FA in bits and pieces, watched/annotated all of Pathoma, and recently done some DIT over past 4.5 weeks. I wish I had discovered DIT sooner...I only did it for past three days but I got "stars" on all those topics in NBME 7.

Before today, my highest score was 235 (UWSA2) and my highest % correct overall was 75%.

I got 217 on NBME 7 with 80% correct. :( Our deans always told us that getting 80% or higher would guarantee us 250s. I guess that was a false statement. :( I really need an excellent step score b/c I'm interested in a competitive specialty, and 217 won't cut it! Morale is at an all-time low and panic-meter is through the roof!

I don't really have an answer to your question, but I'm wondering if they drastically changed the curve or something for NBME 7. I know it's not likely, but you're the third or fourth post in two days saying they unexpectedly bombed NBME 7.

Have you done NBME 11, 12 or 13 yet? I would suggest that you continue your 2nd pass of uworld, but also do one of those exams. If you bomb that one, postpone your test. NBME 7 could have just been a fluke that hopefully won't be repeated on the real thing. (And the same thing happened to me so this is weird)

I don't really have an answer to your question, but I'm wondering if they drastically changed the curve or something for NBME 7. I know it's not likely, but you're the third or fourth post in two days saying they unexpectedly bombed NBME 7.

Yeah, it's odd. I got a 200 on NBME 7 on Friday and posted freaking out. I still intend to get a 240 on June 7th. Watch me do it. You can too! :)

edit: Now I'm wondering about the scoring on the test. One weird thing I noticed was that on every section, when I got to the review page, the first question was marked as not answered, even though I'd put an answer. Maybe there's something wonky with it? Seems unlikely, but I think I just counted 4 of us with unexpectedly low scores in the past few days.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think NBME 7 is one of the harder ones. Take 11 or 12 and see. But yea generally the curve for NBME (and the real thing) is much harder. I think you need around 88% correct for 240

I don't think they did. Based on old posts I read about NBME 7, it seems like the curve has always been pretty steep. In fact, I think most of the practice NBME's have a pretty steep curve, and from what I've gathered about the real thing (based on the 2012 step-I thread), the curve on the real thing is not quite so harsh. Maybe that's why the people at the OP's school said an 80% would be like a 240 or 250?

Have you done NBME 11, 12 or 13 yet? I would suggest that you continue your 2nd pass of uworld, but also do one of those exams. If you bomb that one, postpone your test. NBME 7 could have just been a fluke that hopefully won't be repeated on the real thing. (And the same thing happened to me so this is weird)

I agree with this. It could have just been an off day, or just emphasized you're weak areas. Keep going at it hard, and take another practice test to re-assess. Try not to stress too much (I know that may seem impossible), because that will only negatively impact you.

Yeah, it's odd. I got a 200 on NBME 7 on Friday and posted freaking out. I still intend to get a 240 on June 7th. Watch me do it. You can too! :)

edit: Now I'm wondering about the scoring on the test. One weird thing I noticed was that on every section, when I got to the review page, the first question was marked as not answered, even though I'd put an answer. Maybe there's something wonky with it? Seems unlikely, but I think I just counted 4 of us with unexpectedly low scores in the past few days.

I took NBME 7 on Saturday and got above 250, so I don't think it was a glitch in the system this past weekend. Just keep going at at it guys, and your hard work will pay off.

I think NBME 7 is one of the harder ones. Take 11 or 12 and see. But yea generally the curve for NBME (and the real thing) is much harder. I think you need around 88% correct for 240

No one could possibly know the curve on the real exam. It could be far easier than the NBME curve for all we know. Speculating on it is pointless, and may add unneeded stress to someone else.

OP, don't focus on % correct. On the real exam, difficulty determines the scale. Just try to master as much material as you can.

I took NBME 7 on Saturday and got above 250, so I don't think it was a glitch in the system this past weekend. Just keep going at at it guys, and your hard work will pay off.

Oh well. I knew it was wishful thinking :)

For me, at least, I know that I'm strong in the areas I've covered and very weak in the areas I haven't yet. Seems obvious, but I'm pretty sure it explains my score. OP, do you have any specific areas that are significantly below the others?

Yeah I took NBME 7 also a few days ago and got a 254 (14 wrong) which was unexpectedly higher than i could have imagined because taking it I thought it was difficult. My roommate missed 4.. crazy. So idk if its rlly the test, but OP yeah take another one see how u do remember its nice to do well on these practice exams but in the end its a practice exam it doesn't mean anything and whether or not they are truly accurate and correlate with ur score is anyone's guess.

Take another one see how u do. If you get a similar score u should figure out if its a content issue where u can actually fix it by studying more or if its just wat u can do. If it the latter take it because uve been through u world and almost been through it again i feel like what else can u do other than start to forget info u alrdy know. Theres no other qbank that'll teach u how to answer usmle questions better than that.