Can I really do it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keishuu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
After several months of lurking in the shadows, I've finally decided to join SDN. "My story" is something I'm sure has been told over and over again, but I figure I'd finally take a leap and try to get some support since I feel stuck to say the least. I'm currently 26 and working as a packaging engineer for a major food company. I graduated with a 4.00 gpa in chemical engineering from a public university. Engineering was never really on my radar as a career choice; admittedly, I went in with a mixture of pressure from my father (who is a mechanical engineer) and a fear of the economy at the time (not being able to get employed). I also held the dream in my mind that I could use getting a ChemE degree as a segue-way into med school. Needless to say the least, I didn't apply. I took the recommended coursework outside of my degree program, but when it came to taking the MCAT and the anticipation of applying, I broke down, fearful of failure and that I was a weak applicant (especially in terms extracurricular activities, looking back now, I put too much emphasis on school).
After graduating, I've basically floundered around. First I tried going into a graduate program for environmental engineering; this was a poor decision on my part..considering I had never expressed an interest and there again went into something due to pressure from another outside source - my undergrad professor who thought I would be good candidate in his program. After my first year of being in the program, I was miserable, and quit after getting a job as a process engineer for a major beverage company. I worked there for almost 3 years, and while I enjoyed the people I worked with, I still felt like something was missing and the thought that working as engineer wasn't something I was meant to do. I decided try again with the hopes that I would find a better fit and I soon moved on to my current company, but after almost a year of working here, it's almost come to the point where I feel like I should have chosen the lesser of two evils (being the company I had worked for here). I've always wanted to be more hands on, but in this job I feel like I'm just the middleman in a place where egos have no limits.
The feeling of being a failure as an engineer because "my heart wasn't really in it" (cheesy I know) has made me think of trying to go back to my original dream of going to med school. However, I still have the lingering doubts of failure and that I'll be too old to get in, not be a good applicant, etc. etc.
Am I being delusional with trying to return to my original dream? And how could I even start...
Thank you all for listening to my ramblings here....

Members don't see this ad.

You obviously have an excellent undergraduate GPA, and it sounds like you've taken all or at least most of the prerequisite coursework for med school. You have a 4.0 cumulative GPA which obviously means a 4.0 science GPA. Pat yourself on the back, that's one big, big piece of the puzzle you have already gotten out of the way!

If you can maintain a 4.0 you're obviously a great student and test taker. If you put in a few solid months of studying do you really have any doubt you can't destroy the MCAT?? I don't.

And that really only leaves the third, less tangible piece of the puzzle left - that of experience, extracurriculars, and your ability to successfully and convincingly convey your reasoning for a career change. Your story sounds much like mine, in that you chose a career your heart wasn't really in due to one influence or another, and in your late 20's are trying to get back to what you think you "should" have done all along. In my experience that story works, so long as you can prove you know what you're getting into. Get out there and get some experiences for the sake of your own knowledge (is this really what i want?) and your application. Shadow some doctors, do some volunteering, get a more medically-related job, anything.

Were it not for your lack of extracurriculars I would think you could apply this summer, studying for and taking the MCAT sometime this spring. A hasty six months or so of relevant experience may throw up some red flags though, since many of your competitors have been doing all the right things since they were like 18. So, you could take about a year and a half to compile experiences, take the MCAT, knock out a couple upper level science classes (or any prereqs you may be missing) at your local university if you are so inclined, and apply next year. All in all, you have a head start on most in the non-trad forum who are older than you and who are forced take 2, 3, or more years before being ready to apply.

Thank you so much for the quick reply bbbaaa! You don't know how good it feels to receive your encouraging advice. In terms of getting outside experience, I did the hospital volunteering in high school and didn't find it to give much of a viewpoint for the field. Is it silly to just call around to ask about shadowing or do people have a recommendation for a more structured approach?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the quick reply bbbaaa! You don't know how good it feels to receive your encouraging advice. In terms of getting outside experience, I did the hospital volunteering in high school and didn't find it to give much of a viewpoint for the field. Is it silly to just call around to ask about shadowing or do people have a recommendation for a more structured approach?

Just do some research of doctors in and around your area and politely email them asking for their availability and if they allow shadowing.

For ECs, I suggest doing something else for volunteering if you didn't find a hospital volunteering position very helpful. This includes hospice or something through the Red Cross. There are tons of opportunities out there, you just gotta do a little research.

I volunteered at a hospital in high school as well, but I had tons of patient contact and interaction...so I suggest trying again possibly? I mean if you are well acquainted with the hospital setting, then that's always a plus on an application.

In terms of shadowing, there have been a couple of recent threads about best practices w/ a lot of info.

Hospital volunteering is not the only kind of volunteering, either. For instance, I volunteered in the pharmacy of a free community clinic, just one/two evenings a month for two years. Continuity is good. I also volunteered as basically a data analyst for a research study going on at my local hospital. Keep an eye on the classified sections of your city/university, craigslist, explore any resources your undergrad institution may offer even though you've been out a few years. Healthcare is an enormous field, you'll start finding things quite often once you're looking for them.

Oh, and one thing I didn't mention that you'll need to keep in mind during this process are letters of recommendation. Don't procrastinate on those, it almost screwed me over. In the end I was able to get one from an undergrad professor (you'll be surprised how good their memory can be), one from a professor I took post-bacc classes with, one from an employer in my old field, and one from a doctor I did work for during my post-bacc. Foster these relationships as you accumulate relevant experience, and don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm glad you brought up the LOR piece; I guess I've always had the thought that my professors would be thinking that I was changing fields out of desperation (the who does she think she is kind of thoughts...) The same goes for my employers. Is it best to get these now even if it will be a while until I apply?
Also, speaking again of the MCAT, is it worth investing in taking a class?

I didn't do a class because I think I study better alone, and I had a friend donate all her princeton review books to me, obviously not possible with the new MCAT. You will have to spend some money, depends on your study style whether you think a class or solo studying will be better for you.

You will have to get used to explaining why you're changing careers- whether it's employers, family, friends, professors, or eventual med school interviews. I never once encountered the type of attitudes you are concerned with, everyone has been very supportive. If someone has given you the impression that they are selfish and conceited enough to react to you following your instinct to pursue a different career, then maybe that's just someone you shouldn't be asking.