Medical Can I rescind offer of acceptance to a medical school after formally agreeing to matriculate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I applied to medical school for the 2020-2021 cycle. I only applied to 7 schools in total, and only programs I was absolutely passionate about. I was rejected from 4 schools, haven't heard back from 1, and was waitlisted by 2 (School 1 and School 2). One of the schools I was waitlisted at was my top choice of school (School 1) as everything about the school, the curriculum, the location, the environment, really appealed to me.

Last week, I was offered acceptance from the waitlist of School 2. I was elated at the acceptance, but also a bit disappointed as I was placed on a campus that didn't have many of the resources and programs that had drawn me to School 2 (they have several campuses). School 2 only gave me 7 business days to make my decision. So after taking the full 7 days to think over my decision, and seeing if I would get a response from School 1 (I sent them a Letter of Intent), and hearing nothing from them, I finally sent School 2 my response yesterday stating that I planned to matriculate. Well, this morning I received an offer of acceptance from School 1!

My question is would it be wrong to rescind my plan to matriculate from School 2 and accept School 1's offer instead? I know personally that School 1 will be a better fit for me than School 2, but I also don't wish to sour my relationship with School 2 (this is the institution where I earned both my BA and MS degrees). So, I don't know if rescinding after I just accepted the offer is a major faux pas or not, especially this late in the cycle.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help!
Do what you need to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.