Can I still apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asimhaqq00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at residency in south carolina for family medicine. It says that for IMG they require atleast a 192 on the steps and atleast two years of clinical experience in the US. My questions is basically what if you only have one of the two requirements? For example if you have a 220 on the steps but not the two years clinical experience? Would it be a good idea to apply or will they just ignore your application?

Members don't see this ad.

You CAN do whatever you like; ERAS will be happy to take your application fee. Whether they would consider your app is a question that only the program themselves can answer, so you could consider an email to the program coordinator. However, I would not expect a program would list something as a requirement if it was not actually something they are looking for.

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP simply asked a question . Although its not a very informed question its a question nonetheless. No need to bash him about it.
To the OP, i think it may be too late to apply to ERAS especially if you are an IMG.
Furthermore , if you do not meet any of the criteria specified on their website (in this case, the 2 year requirement) you aren't likely to be considered .
If you have any questions regarding the residency application process please take the time to go through some of the posts on the website some of which are very informative.gl.

Last edited:
To the OP:

Why are you applying now? Residency programs have already interviewed most of their candidates, so you probably won't be getting an interview this application cycle. I would suggest that you use the time now to find an observership or externship, so you can get some sort of US clinical experience before starting residency. Come August, get started on your ERAS application. Get the application in by the first week of September, if possible, so you maximize your chances of getting interviews and matching.

To the OP:

Why are you applying now? Residency programs have already interviewed most of their candidates, so you probably won't be getting an interview this application cycle. I would suggest that you use the time now to find an observership or externship, so you can get some sort of US clinical experience before starting residency. Come August, get started on your ERAS application. Get the application in by the first week of September, if possible, so you maximize your chances of getting interviews and matching.

In addition to this (which is the best advice here...assuming you're talking about the current cycle), go ahead and register with NRMP. That will make you eligible for SOAP and you might get lucky. Unlikely of course but it's worth a shot.

OK, then, here's my new piece of advice:

1.) Go to medical school in the US, not India. Not saying that Indian med schools aren't good, but you'll have a harder time matching if you go that route.

2.) Get through med school first, then think about where you want to do residency.

OK, then, here's my new piece of advice:

1.) Go to medical school in the US, not India. Not saying that Indian med schools aren't good, but you'll have a harder time matching if you go that route.

2.) Get through med school first, then think about where you want to do residency.

And a 3rd piece of advice for the OP:

3.) Quit trolling.

Haha. We had an "observer" from India follow around my team for a week. He kept asking questions like "so what is the pay increase for residents by year", "what study materials did you use for your Step exams", "which residencies take a lot of FMGs", "can i have your email address so you can read over my personal statement".....

here's the kicker. He was a Freshmen Pre-med. I kid you not. We had a good laugh about that.