Can I still get in a dental school with my international undergraduate degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DATlongshui

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just discovered this sub-forum and would like to post my questions here, so hopefully someone can enlighten me further.

A brief intro about myself: after finishing my undergraduate in a very good university in China, I came to the US and earned my Ph.D degree in biology (at an university ranked about 20). While really not seeing myself as an independent PI or working in industry, I decided to switch to dentistry. So I took the DAT and got very good scores. While looking into the application process, I realized that I may have underestimated the difficulty of applying for Dental School in US, mainly because all of my pre-requisite courses were taken in my undergraduate back in China.

I am wondering whether anyone has been in a similar situation like mine, and yet were able to get in dental school, without retaking all the pre-requisites?

Some dental schools also requires 1 year of English courses in humanity/literature. Do any of you go back and take those language courses? Do you think they will waive it given the fact that I completed my Ph.D (finished my thesis and have several peer-reviewed publications)?

BTW, I have green card, so I am not really an international applicant. Will that help my application?

Any comments or suggestions will be really appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

This forum is primarily pre-med. I think you may get a better answer in the pre-dental forum. My best advice would be to contact individual schools (or at least the admission officer at the one you are most interested in) to get guidance. I'd guess that you would be required to take a few courses in the US (x number of semester hrs, that can probably done at a local cc pretty quickly and then apply). In all likelihood English is going to be one of those requirements. You already have the hard part down (a good DAT score), so the rest should be easy. Good luck.

Hi,
I just discovered this sub-forum and would like to post my questions here, so hopefully someone can enlighten me further.

A brief intro about myself: after finishing my undergraduate in a very good university in China, I came to the US and earned my Ph.D degree in biology (at an university ranked about 20). While really not seeing myself as an independent PI or working in industry, I decided to switch to dentistry. So I took the DAT and got very good scores. While looking into the application process, I realized that I may have underestimated the difficulty of applying for Dental School in US, mainly because all of my pre-requisite courses were taken in my undergraduate back in China.

I am wondering whether anyone has been in a similar situation like mine, and yet were able to get in dental school, without retaking all the pre-requisites?

Some dental schools also requires 1 year of English courses in humanity/literature. Do any of you go back and take those language courses? Do you think they will waive it given the fact that I completed my Ph.D (finished my thesis and have several peer-reviewed publications)?

BTW, I have green card, so I am not really an international applicant. Will that help my application?

Any comments or suggestions will be really appreciated!