Can I still get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slyder88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I really need your help. I just graduated from a top 10 engineering schools. However, with a low gpa (2.83) and low science 2.7. I just took the DAT and got a 22. So my question is I know I have passed the app deadline for this year, but is it worth applying next year? I currently work for a major healtcare hospital.

Any suggestions? I know once I get in the only route i'll choose is OMS. AND IF i get in..i know i have what it takes to get out. The problem is getting in to dental school. I'll be applying in the 3 texas schools + OU. I have an amazing resume but I dislike the fact that i'll be judged on my screw ups freshman and sophomore year.

Any suggestions help. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Well hello fellow Texan =D

Even though it comes down to GPA and DAT scores, I am sure with a compelling personal statement, you could spot a few interviews.
You should call the schools up individually and see what they think of it.

Also, check out the Below 3.0 Club thread on SDN... you might be able to relate to some of the folks there =D

Hey Guys,
I really need your help. I just graduated from a top 10 engineering schools. However, with a low gpa (2.83) and low science 2.7. I just took the DAT and got a 22. So my question is I know I have passed the app deadline for this year, but is it worth applying next year? I currently work for a major healtcare hospital.

Any suggestions? I know once I get in the only route i'll choose is OMS. AND IF i get in..i know i have what it takes to get out. The problem is getting in to dental school. I'll be applying in the 3 texas schools + OU. I have an amazing resume but I dislike the fact that i'll be judged on my screw ups freshman and sophomore year.

Any suggestions help. Thanks in advance.

I am not trying to be a jerk here, butyou as many other people here feel that they shouldn't be judged by their freshman year, or another college, etc.etc. etc. There are always excuses why someone doesn't do well. The problem is that you didn't do well. For some reason you did poorly (based on your comment) those first two years. Let's say you got a 2.0 your first two years and then 3.6 the next two. (This would give you a 2.8 gpa assuming you had done 4 years in college and the first two years credit total equaled the second two.) Do you think it is fair to those people who got a 3.6 their entire time in college to be compared to you just because you turned your life around? I don't think so. they didn't slack off during their first year. Therefore, they should be rewarded for that. It is no one but your fault that you failed to perform to the level that yo showed later on in your college education. It is fair that your first two years are counted. You earned it. Now, with that said, use that to your advantage. Show the adcoms that you did screw off the first two years, but you turned your life around. You busted your butt off the rest of the time and you will continue this effort if they will just give you a chance. It is up to you to prove to them you deserve a shot.

Now, I do know of one person at my school (UTDB-Houston) who was accepted with a 2.8 and 22AA. SO, you do have a shot. Yo just need to be spot on with the application and your interview.

Another thing, OMS the only route you'll choose? You don't choose it. It chooses you. I would defiitely NOT mention this in any interview or anything on the application if you are serious of getting in. You will need to be grateful for them to even consider you and hopefully to be accepted. If you are in a position later on to go into OMS, great. But to think that is the only route you'll CHOOSE at this point, forget it. Get into d-school first. What will you do if you get into d-school and don't get into OMS?