Can I Take Step 1 During 2nd Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScreamingEagle68W

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title is self-explanatory! I am a first year IMG and am DREADING the Pass/Fail format for the Step 1 beginning probably in January 2022. I would finish 2nd year in December 2021. It appears after January 2022 that all USMLE results will be retroactively designated as Pass or Fail, so I was wondering if I REALLY REALLY killed myself and prepped for Step 1 concurrently with my studies, would I be eligible to take the exam in say, early November 2021? That way I would have time to receive and print my numerical score report before the Pass/Fail apocalypse happens? I know I'm probably just grasping at straws, but could I theoretically sit for the exam like a month before my basic sciences end?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about foreign schools specifically, but your institution has to approve that you're in good standing to take the exam. Good standing might include completing all second-year coursework.

You can 100% do this. You'd just have to gun hard for 20 months. I imagine doing all of Zanki (and BnB/Pathoma) + UWorld would set you up for a 240+ if you do it right.

The only real obstacle I can see is if your school didn't allow you to take it that early. Like if they required a passing CBSE to be eligible to take the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the replies guys, I'll get in touch with my administration about this! Any more info anyone has would be really appreciated because IMGs are in serious trouble with this whole thing. I would rather take it too soon and get a 220 than get a "Pass" and have program directors ONLY see an IMG. I think it would be great if I could go into a residency application cycle with an actual numerical score standing out in a field of Pass/Fail applicants, especially if I can manage around a 240, which is my expectation.

thanks for the replies guys, I'll get in touch with my administration about this! Any more info anyone has would be really appreciated because IMGs are in serious trouble with this whole thing. I would rather take it too soon and get a 220 than get a "Pass" and have program directors ONLY see an IMG. I think it would be great if I could go into a residency application cycle with an actual numerical score standing out in a field of Pass/Fail applicants, especially if I can manage around a 240, which is my expectation.

This made me extremely curious. I'm going to ask about how they would compare an applicant with pass/fail step 1 with a step 2 score and one with both scored steps on the main forum.