Can I take the DAT after applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jo07

Dingo
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just started a Kaplan course that will last til April..then I am planning on taking the DAT right after. I will try to turn in my application ASAP...but plan on stuyding more and taking the DAT as soon as I can (90 days right?). So my question is, Can I take the DAT after I apply, and if so, Is it okay if I take it in April, July, and if need be Nov? Or does that look bad?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well i don't think it'll LOOK bad, but the later you take your test the later the scores get sent in and in essence you'll have sorta an incomplete application. the thing is that they'll already have your 1st score... and who knows whether they'll look at your app before or after your other score gets sent (which takes time!! don't forget!!)

if i were you i would speak to your pre-med advisor, or even call up a school to see what the process is like and whether your 2nd score would really get in on time.

i think taking it in nov is sorta a waste of time -- take it early early as possible.

but the best advice is to work your tukus off for your first go get all your **** in on time and relax -- put all your nrg into dat 1

pudz

Hi all,

I just started a Kaplan course that will last til April..then I am planning on taking the DAT right after. I will try to turn in my application ASAP...but plan on stuyding more and taking the DAT as soon as I can (90 days right?). So my question is, Can I take the DAT after I apply, and if so, Is it okay if I take it in April, July, and if need be Nov? Or does that look bad?

Thanks!

You should apply asap when the application opens in May. You can take your dat anytime. I plan on sending off my application 2 weeks after addsas opens but I'm not taking my dat until the second week in June. The dat should be taken as soon as you are comfortable but note that schools will not start to review you until everything is complete. Also, when addsas gets your information, its not like they send it out right away... it still takes them 2-3 weeks maybe longer.. i would make sure you send them everything: LOR, transcripts etc by the end of May.

So yea you can take the dat after you apply but they won't review your package til they get everything. I wouldn't rush the dat- study hard and get a great score
-ld

Hi all,

Thanks!

It's totally fine taking the DAT after submitting AADSAS, and maybe even a good idea. While it can take up to 8 weeks before your AADSAS app is sent to schools, the DAT is almost immediate (available online within a few days of your testing date and mailed to schools a few days after that). That said, you want to try and shoot for taking the DAT just once. Don't plan on taking it twice, because then you won't put in your best effort the first time.
Furthermore, Nov is kind of late to be taking the DAT, however, I took mine in Nov (1st time) and I've gotten plenty of interviews and acceptances as of now -- But I know that this isn't the case for everyone and it is a bad idea to aim for taking the DAT that late. Really you need no more than 2 solid months of studying so you should be fine to take it after your Kaplan course. Whatever you decide, Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
so it wouldn't be too late to apply in may and take the test in late june then?:confused:

so it wouldn't be too late to apply in may and take the test in late june then?:confused:

No, that definitely will not be too late. Your application will probably take that long to verify anyways. Chances are schools will get your application and your DAT scores at around the same time. My only advice is try not to push your test back any later than that... because it's really tempting to do.
Good luck!

No, that definitely will not be too late. Your application will probably take that long to verify anyways. Chances are schools will get your application and your DAT scores at around the same time. My only advice is try not to push your test back any later than that... because it's really tempting to do.
Good luck!

i've been stressed out about this b/c many SDN'ers have been saying that applying later will signficantly hurt my chances...thanks for your advice