Can i work in Canada after finishing residency in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghias55

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a foregin graduate but completing my residency in Ob/Gyn in US , does anyone know what is the procedure to apply for canadian licensure. and what are other requirements to work in canada

Members don't see this ad.

Each province has different rules re. whether they have (or not) a pathway from specialty recognition towards registration with the Medical Council of Canada, and licensure.

Here is some info from Quebec re. some potential shortcuts http://www.cmq.org/asp/english.asp?id=898

The process is pretty arduous, lengthy, and expensive. Typically, if your primary qualification (MD degree) is not from Canada, Australia, NZ, UK, or USA (which I assume is your case), most provinces will require that you go through the whole Evaluating exam and Qualifying exams sequence (similar to the USMLE's) before they consider you for licensure; then the specialty recognition is a whole separate process. You may also end up in some visa-related vicious circles re. not having Canadian permanent residency/citizenship, or not having a job offer, etc.
Best bet is to check with each province re. their licensure requirements, and they will have some info on their websites.
Also check with each province's dept. of health sites where they have shortage areas and potential jobs available.
It's definitely not a streamlined process like in the US, and it doesn't look too "FMG friendly".

Thanks a lot for your input