Can IMG apply to PRS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thai doc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG who interest in PRS . How much chance does IMG apply to PRS Pprogram in US. ?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

One just did a hand fellowship and got the open slot at SIU
No problem.
Thai doc said:
I am an IMG who interest in PRS . How much chance does IMG apply to PRS Pprogram in US. ?
Thank you

Jocomama said:
One just did a hand fellowship and got the open slot at SIU
No problem.

Hi, so I'm assuming that IMG was already trained as a plastic surgeon overseas because he went for a fellowship... but then he applied to start a PRS residency and got in so he has to start the training from the beginning in order to practice in the US?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are a foreign medical graduate, you can get into Plastics
Actually - SIU has two.
Their new integrated PGY1 is from Canada, did 2 yrs research in Ann Arbor, and matched.
They had an open slot for a PGY5, and I think the person was FMG, who was doing a hand fellowship (so I guess he must have done General surgery in the states) and then got the 2 yr plastics slot

Anyway - there are non-US med grads that do General surgery in US, and get into PRS, and then, those that do Med School outside US and get into PRS integrated.

I am sure there are other programs that have non-US grads in Plastics
driedcaribou said:
Hi, so I'm assuming that IMG was already trained as a plastic surgeon overseas because he went for a fellowship... but then he applied to start a PRS residency and got in so he has to start the training from the beginning in order to practice in the US?

Jocomama said:
If you are a foreign medical graduate, you can get into Plastics
Actually - SIU has two.
Their new integrated PGY1 is from Canada, did 2 yrs research in Ann Arbor, and matched.
They had an open slot for a PGY5, and I think the person was FMG, who was doing a hand fellowship (so I guess he must have done General surgery in the states) and then got the 2 yr plastics slot

Anyway - there are non-US med grads that do General surgery in US, and get into PRS, and then, those that do Med School outside US and get into PRS integrated.

I am sure there are other programs that have non-US grads in Plastics

Thanks for that.
I'm just worried that due to my Canadian citizenship, if I do a gen surg in the US and do not have the proper visa, I will be booted out before I can apply for a PRS independant prog.

I need to research this more but not many people are in my situation.

Send me a PM - more Canadians than you think in Plastics, eh?
driedcaribou said:
Thanks for that.
I'm just worried that due to my Canadian citizenship, if I do a gen surg in the US and do not have the proper visa, I will be booted out before I can apply for a PRS independant prog.

I need to research this more but not many people are in my situation.