Can interns do MTM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are interns allowed to do MTM independently (indirect supervision by pharmacist) or does the pharmacist have to be be listening in on everything you say?

Members don't see this ad.

I did an MTM rotation and I was all by myself, but it was mostly over the phone with mirixa

Interns are allowed to do everything except verification.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They can do whatever the pharmacist is comfortable with.

Reactions: 1 users
Are interns allowed to do MTM independently (indirect supervision by pharmacist) or does the pharmacist have to be be listening in on everything you say?

States rule differently on this matter regarding what interns can/can't do with or without supervision. Rules around who can and cannot provide medication counseling is articulated in some but not all states but IANAL. Additionally any service you are submitting for reimbursement is also subject to the terms and conditions agreed between you or your employer and the payor.

Reactions: 2 users
The intern as far as I'm concerned can so anything a pharmacist is comfortable with and is under direct supervison. I let my intern do MTM and i give it a brief look over before submitting (under her name)