Can midlevels write cardiac CT reports now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoctors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello cardiologists.

One of my patients was referred to me by cardiologist for dyspnea that persists despite PCI x 1 to his mLAD about 10 weeks prior.
I'm doing my usual pulmonary workup for the patient and going to do a CPET and all that jazz until I open up and review his Cardiac CT study.

I screen captured the impression (and deleted all PHI, the medical providers name, etc...) and see this

so it seem a non-MD can sign for these reports?? this must be an error right?

1684176729029.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Hmm
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
as for a quick follow up, chest imaging, PFTs, bronchoprovocation testing, and CPET were normal.
CPET did show reduced VO2/W, O2pulse/W, abnormal diastolic BP elevation, and submaximal HR (on beta blocker ; but RER of 1.3). But had normal peak VO2 at 101% of predicted, normal breathing reserve, no flow volume loop abnormalities, normal VE/VCO2 and normal Vd/Vt (estimated anyway using PETCO2). so I gave him some reassurance...

the patient told me he went for cardiac MRI also.... pending report.... I shall see who signed that report and reply here shortly....

Hello cardiologists.

One of my patients was referred to me by cardiologist for dyspnea that persists despite PCI x 1 to his mLAD about 10 weeks prior.
I'm doing my usual pulmonary workup for the patient and going to do a CPET and all that jazz until I open up and review his Cardiac CT study.

I screen captured the impression (and deleted all PHI, the medical providers name, etc...) and see this

so it seem a non-MD can sign for these reports?? this must be an error right?

View attachment 371483
Interesting. Never seen that being done. Chances are the physician interpreting the study still has to sign it. The NP may have done a prelim read.

I am not aware that nurse practitioners can read coronary CTs independently.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Never seen that being done. Chances are the physician interpreting the study still has to sign it. The NP may have done a prelim read.

I am not aware that nurse practitioners can read coronary CTs independently.

nor should mid-levels be practicing independently...but here we are.

well in NYS NPs can be fully independent... but I had no idea they could write reports

New York State Education Law holds NPs independently responsible for the diagnosis and treatment of their patients and does not require an NP to practice under physician supervision

I called the radiology center and they confirmed.... no cardiology attending was on this case....

I knew something was off when there was no separate radiologist report for the visualized lung fields...

Reactions: 1 users