Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

can MKSAP 14 or medstudy

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by nofear, Feb 20, 2007.

1. nofear

nofear Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anyone suggest reading either MKSAP 14 or medstudy during residency, as a source of general reading? Or is it better to read off of cecil's or someother book?
    thanks

2. norhpen

norhpen Kidney Junkie

Fellow [Any Field]
    Harrison's is a great standard text, though more in depth than most can muster the strength to read. I used Med Study to focus more on topics for the board and did all the questions for MKSAP. The board was not as hard as I thought it would be. Using the above would be more than ample preparation.

3. OP
    OP
    nofear

nofear Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So between MkSAP 14 and Medstudy for interns which do u think is more beneficial as far as everyday type of cases we run into or just a general development of knowledge?
    thanks

4. OP
    OP
    nofear

nofear Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  5. Penquin-007

Penquin-007 New Member

I would be interested to know too...

I'm wondering if I should read this instead of a traditional textbook...

6. Penquin-007

Penquin-007 New Member

7. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My experience is as follows:

1. Both Medstudy and MKSAP are good sources of reading for IM. They are more clinically focused than Harrisons (which has large amounts of text focused on pathophys, which is not really tested on the ABIM boards).

2. The questions in MKSAP are much better. In MKSAP 14, esp when using the CD-ROM, the questions tell you what proportion of people get each question right and wrong, so you get some sense of how you are doing. There is no way to convert a MKSAP question score to an ABIM score.

3. The text of MedStudy is more outline format, and to the point. In general, for my residents who I feel are in danger of doing badly on the ABIM boards, I strongly encourage the use of MedStudy. It clearly deliniates the "key points" to focus on. The MKSAP text has come a long way (it was quite bad when I used it to study), but I feel it is directed more towards an "advanced" user.

So, short answer: TEXT from MedStudy, QUESTIONS from MKSAP.

There are other good sources out there -- Mayo review, etc.

I can't stress enough the importance of reading regularly, about the patients for whom you are caring.

8. lfcdoc

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What about reading in general, not just for passing the ABIM exam? I am I new intern and I'm wondering what to start using during residency. I haven't really enjoyed reading Harrison's v. much in the past. I have the Mayo Clinic review book. Would you recommend something like this along with medstudy etc. for our general reading, or would you recommend getting a different internal medicine text and plowing through that the first year?
    sorry, that was a v. long question. Any thoughts are appreciated though.
    thanks!!
    lfcdoc

9. lfcdoc

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    anyone? any thoughts appreciated.
    thanx!

10. GOGETA

GOGETA SuperSaiyan
    2+ Year Member

Can I use that for step2 ck and step3?

11. JayneCobb

JayneCobb big damn hero....
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I would say that is far too indepth and medicine-centric that you would be overlooking other areas which you need to study. For step 2 and 3, just stick with the usual books, First aid, boards & wards, etc, and you'll be fine.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. cherry ghost

2+ Year Member

i just finished residency and took the boards. i studied by reading medstudy and mksap questions and the boards were in general easier than the inservice.

after i finished studying, i wished i had been reading medstudy while as an intern. they are very easy to read and really tie concepts together well. of course i wouldn't use medstudy alone for a resource when taking care of patients, but just as a good overview of internal medicine.