can PCAT really offset GPA?

Started by MaryLK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MaryLK

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is a 90+ PCAT score able to offset a 2.8-2.9 gpa? Will this be a great help to increase chances of getting accepted?
 
When I applied last year, my science GPA alone was a 2.81. My overall was in the low 3s. However, my PCAT was a 96 and I got into everywhere I applied eventually. Granted, I was on hold and eventually accepted to UNC. An important thing to note is that most schools put a lot of emphasis on your non-cognitive abilities. Leadership experience, volunteer work, research, and pharmacy experience can all play a huge role in pharmacy school acceptance. Just make sure that you put your best foot forward in your endeavors!
 
Is a 90+ PCAT score able to offset a 2.8-2.9 gpa? Will this be a great help to increase chances of getting accepted?
I believe it helps some, my overall GPA was 3.08 and my PCAT was 93. Like Pharm9880 stated, I applied for Fall 2016 and got accepted to all schools I applied to without being wait listed. However, a couple of the schools I applied to didn't require the PCAT and it also depends on your extra curriculars. I worked as a medical technician for several years performing drug testing analysis and volunteered at a hospital and retail pharmacy.