Can practicum hours count for LCPC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychadelic2012

PhD Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will graduate with my masters degree this summer and will start a PhD program in the fall. I can attain a entry-level/intern LPC license in the state(s) where my potential program(s) are with my M.A.

My question is: Can the hours I collect on practicum(s) count for LCPC/full licensure hour accrual? Could I then potentially attain a full license by the time I apply for predoctoral internship?

I know that the reverse (licensure hours counting for practicum, especially when paid) depends on the school's discretion, but I suppose that is a follow-up question: How common is this scenario?

Finally, would there be any purpose to any of this? For example, is attaining a full LCPC license helpful for internship?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious about this as well. I already have an M.S. and am eligible to apply for LPC licensure now, but will be attending a Psychology PhD program starting this fall. I've debated whether or not to get the LPC, knowing that I will eventually be going for licensure as a psychologist. Are there any benefits to holding dual licensures?

To the original poster: sorry I have no helpful advice! We're in the same boat...

At least in my state, hours for licensure at the masters level (it's not called LPC) can't be from practica. In my state, this info is spelled out somewhere online at the state licensing board site, usually under licensing regulations. Every state has different requirements, though, so your best bet is to check with the licensing board in the state or states where you want to practice (as something :p ) eventually.

I can't imagine a benefit to having dual licensure (I can imagine many drawbacks, including lots of licensing fees, double ethics codes, etc.). Maybe others are more familiar with this.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about this as well. I already have an M.S. and am eligible to apply for LPC licensure now, but will be attending a Psychology PhD program starting this fall. I've debated whether or not to get the LPC, knowing that I will eventually be going for licensure as a psychologist. Are there any benefits to holding dual licensures?

To the original poster: sorry I have no helpful advice! We're in the same boat...

The advantage is when your PhD funding runs out you have a license to get a job to help pay for school.

I've known of doctoral PhD graduates who had a hard time with the EPPP and due to reaching the limit they opted to go the LPC route. I think it is more difficult now as normally you have to be supervised by a LPC-S during internship and supervision hours. Back when I first got my LPC in the 1980's I was able to count all of my supervision by a licensed psychologist and a licensed social worker and my three years work at a community mental health center. I don't think you can do this now unlless your practicum supervisor was both a LPC and a Licensed Psychologist. There are a number of individuals who hold dual licensure as a LPC and a Licensed Psychologist. If you go to most mental health agencies you will find many more LPC or LMSW then psychologist. If they won't count your practicum hours you may be able to do an LPC Internship at a mental health agency and get your supervision hours. Some of these agencies actually pay you a full salary during your internship, similar to how school psychologist are paid a full salary during their internship year.

Good points about how it will vary by state. Makes sense--I know some states don't necessarily require supervision for LCPC hours to be by an LCPC, right? They can be supervised by LCSW or Psychologist? Right? Just depends on the state?

If they won't count your practicum hours you may be able to do an LPC Internship at a mental health agency and get your supervision hours. Some of these agencies actually pay you a full salary during your internship, similar to how school psychologist are paid a full salary during their internship year.

Do you mean doing a part-time LPC internship, while in school, in order to slowly accrue hours? Or do you mean after completing the PhD?

I was planning to try to find a part-time gig as an LPC/intern while in school (just 1/2 or 1 day per week), as funding may be limited at my program. I just didn't know if there was any advantage to actually getting the full/LCPC license in preparation for predoc internship itself? Although I do see that it could be an advantage to finding clinical work after graduation.

Good points about how it will vary by state. Makes sense--I know some states don't necessarily require supervision for LCPC hours to be by an LCPC, right? They can be supervised by LCSW or Psychologist? Right? Just depends on the state?

Do you mean doing a part-time LPC internship, while in school, in order to slowly accrue hours? Or do you mean after completing the PhD?

I was planning to try to find a part-time gig as an LPC/intern while in school (just 1/2 or 1 day per week), as funding may be limited at my program. I just didn't know if there was any advantage to actually getting the full/LCPC license in preparation for predoc internship itself? Although I do see that it could be an advantage to finding clinical work after graduation.

I know here in Texas that some of the doctoral students decided they did not want to pursue the doctoral degree anymore so they finished up their MA degree and now they are working as LPC's in Texas. They found jobs with mental health agencies with a salary in the $45,000 range and their first year counted as their internship year and they were LPC-I. This year counted as one year supervision and the second year counted as a year of supervision, so they were then licensed as LPC.

If you are still working towards your doctoral degree, you may then get additonal LPC supervision hours. Also, some internship sites require you to have MA level licensure in their State. Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas internship sites all require MA level licensure as it is written into their licensure law related to predoctoral internship. So if you are applying for internships in these States having your LPC license would help you in the internship process. I have national licensure as a NCSP and NCC as well as LSSP, LPA, and LPC-S in he State of Texas. I believe that having these licenses and my years of experience helped me find a good Match in the internship application.

I know here in Texas that some of the doctoral students decided they did not want to pursue the doctoral degree anymore so they finished up their MA degree and now they are working as LPC's in Texas. They found jobs with mental health agencies with a salary in the $45,000 range and their first year counted as their internship year and they were LPC-I. This year counted as one year supervision and the second year counted as a year of supervision, so they were then licensed as LPC.

If you are still working towards your doctoral degree, you may then get additonal LPC supervision hours. Also, some internship sites require you to have MA level licensure in their State. Louisiana, Arkansas, Kansas internship sites all require MA level licensure as it is written into their licensure law related to predoctoral internship. So if you are applying for internships in these States having your LPC license would help you in the internship process. I have national licensure as a NCSP and NCC as well as LSSP, LPA, and LPC-S in he State of Texas. I believe that having these licenses and my years of experience helped me find a good Match in the internship application.

Is this for psychology pre-doctoral internships, or something else? If the former, it's the first time I've heard of any state requiring that psychology interns be licensed at the master's level, and I'm almost positive that's not the case in Louisiana or Arkansas (e.g., can find no mention of it in state laws, have never had it mentioned by faculty, and/or heard nothing about it while interviewing for internships last year).