Can programs ask you about your stereo in an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarguy23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is off limits and wanted to see if so. I was asked multiple times at a recent interview, and they actually wanted the number. I couldn't tell them as I didn't know and they saw that as a red flag. In hindsight, I actually wish I hadn't answered and seriously thought about calling them out on it. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if this is off limits and wanted to see if so. I was asked multiple times at a recent interview, and they actually wanted the number. I couldn't tell them as I didn't know and they saw that as a red flag. In hindsight, I actually wish I hadn't answered and seriously thought about calling them out on it. Thoughts?

Since lack of stereo vision would prevent you from adequately performing surgery, it is reasonable for them to ask upfront about it. There are stories of residents leaving once they hit PGY4 because of the difficulties they encounter with the lack of stereo.

I think calling them out would have definitely been the wrong approach, you made the better decision to talk about it. I had my stereo checked by someone who I don't think knew what they were doing and I ended up getting 4/9 "squares" correct. I went to an interview and one of the faculty brought this up and was concerned about it so they re-tested my stereo at the end of the day and I had 9/9. If you had a poor stereo test I'd try to get it rechecked in the hope that it was done incorrectly the first time. I agree that it is actually important for programs to know what your stereo is, otherwise you'll have no depth perception in cataract surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think calling them out would have definitely been the wrong approach, you made the better decision to talk about it. I had my stereo checked by someone who I don't think knew what they were doing and I ended up getting 4/9 "squares" correct. I went to an interview and one of the faculty brought this up and was concerned about it so they re-tested my stereo at the end of the day and I had 9/9. If you had a poor stereo test I'd try to get it rechecked in the hope that it was done incorrectly the first time. I agree that it is actually important for programs to know what your stereo is, otherwise you'll have no depth perception in cataract surgery.

VERY IMPORTANT to have this done!

Every medical student should test their stereo before interviewing or even making the final decision to enter ophthalmology. Please search previous threads about stereo. You will be hard pressed to perform microsurgery or detect retinal elevation/ fluid without a certain degree of stereo vision. It's not discrimination it's just a reality. You are better safe than sorry.

Yes, it's a legit issue to ask about, and it's acceptable for them to test it.

If you don't have good stereo, you simply cannot be a safe surgeon and a good diagnostician. For surgery, not having the stereo to determine where you are in 3D in millimeters can determine whether you break a bag or not. It does take time to get the eye hand coordination down, but if you simply don't have good stereo, you can't do microsurgery. If that applies to you, I'm sorry but it would be better off in the long run for you if you know this straight up.

Reactions: 1 user
I think this is an important test. Sadly one cannot safely perform intraocular surgery without stereo.

Not off limits and can be asked or tested. I was tested at one program and passed.