Can research publications prior to medical school help for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lblock209

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I've gotten into my top choice school. I graduated in 2013 and have been working in clinical research since then.

Since I got in, this research is really a waste of time for me since it can't further contribute to improving my chances of getting into medical school... unless it helps my future in other ways (residency).

I know that abstracts/posters/authors etc. are a big deal for residencies, but they are usually completed by applicants in medical school.

If I were to get published at a time from now until before I start med school, can I use this for ERAS (residency) applications? If not, I would rather drop the research and just do something else during my year off.

Any input (especially from residents/med students) is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
All publications do help from what I have read. YMMV for the ones done during undergrad. For example, if you published a neuroscience article during undergrad, it can help greatly if the field you want to enter is neurology or a similar field, but not so much if it is cardiology.

This is a great question. I am doing research during my gap year and I too would want to stop if I gained an early acceptance!

Reactions: 1 user