Can someone concisely and accurately tell me what the difference in “style” means between COMLEX level 1 and USMLE Step 1 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawthorn9797

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a DO student at KCU... oooooh I said where I go to school . Currently tripping balls because I’m studying for Step 1 (USMLE) and just kinda hoping they are similar enough that I can pass both, after studying omm wizardry of course. The “etiology” of my anxiety is mostly due to this repeated concept of “watch out step 1 and level 1 are very different in terms of style”. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN???? Begging for an actual answer to this. Thank everyone! Taking both in early July, trying to remain sane, plz healp

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say concisely or accurately since I'm in the same boat at an """"undisclosed"""" school. MS2, USMLE/COMLEX in early June, studying exclusively for USMLE. My school makes us take combank assessments and I've scored WAYYYYY higher on combank assessments (2) than nbme's (3). I have a pretty solid OMM base, but otherwise, am only an average student. TIFWIW.

Reactions: 1 user
Comparing the COMSAE's to the NBME's I've taken, the COMSAE's are far more vague and often require you to make logical leaps that the USMLE stuff doesn't. They also will throw completely random crap out there that you would never be able to study for, like pieces of legislation. COMLEX also has more of an emphasis on management, and a lot of it is Step 2 stuff honestly. I've never seen a USMLE Step question (I've done like 6000) that asked about the USPSTF guidelines on management of things in certain age groups, and all of the answers seem very reasonable. Not to mention the weird and convoluted way they sometimes ask about OMM.

tldr. COMLEX is more of a crap show.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't say concisely or accurately since I'm in the same boat at an """"undisclosed"""" school. MS2, USMLE/COMLEX in early June, studying exclusively for USMLE. My school makes us take combank assessments and I've scored WAYYYYY higher on combank assessments (2) than nbme's (3). I have a pretty solid OMM base, but otherwise, am only an average student. TIFWIW.
Thank you for this!

Thank you!
Comparing the COMSAE's to the NBME's I've taken, the COMSAE's are far more vague and often require you to make logical leaps that the USMLE stuff doesn't. They also will throw completely random crap out there that you would never be able to study for, like pieces of legislation. COMLEX also has more of an emphasis on management, and a lot of it is Step 2 stuff honestly. I've never seen a USMLE Step question (I've done like 6000) that asked about the USPSTF guidelines on management of things in certain age groups, and all of the answers seem very reasonable. Not to mention the weird and convoluted way they sometimes ask about OMM.

tldr. COMLEX is more of a crap show.
thank you!