Can someone explain F32 grants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vigileo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought this might be the most appropriate place to post. Can someone explain to me, or point me to a website with some guidance about F32 grants and how they compare to T32 institutional grantsfor example? I'm applying for clinical fellowships in pulmonary/critical care medicine. Can F32 grants be used to support, say, a 4th year for research training in institutions without a pulmonary T32? Is this doable for clinical research or focused more towards basic science? Despite reading several sites, I feel as though I don't quite have a grasp on this concept. Would also be interested in other funding mechanisms that support the above as well. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

F32s are grant where you apply for protected research time directly to the NIH. I've honestly never seen a trainee on them, but I assume they are like F30s and F31s, i.e. they are offered by only certain institutes and are very competitive (paylines in the top 15% or so)

T32s are awarded to universities and the trainee application goes to them, it is not peer-reviewed by the NIH (unlike the F grants). T grants also have protected time, similar to F. Because they are awarded by the university and not the NIH, they tend to be less competitive. There are certainly the more common model of protecting trainees for research that I've seen. There might me monetary differences between the two, but both cover the trainees salary.

Many universities have T32s and your project may been eligible even if the T32 isn't specifically pulmonary (people usually make the topics as broad as possible to encourage trainee applications from mulitple specialities). I don't know if either T or F support 1 year. Usually it is 2, with a max of 3.

As far as other grants, many foundations offer grants to trainees. Your institutions Office of Research may have a list of foundation grants available. Additionally Trialect.com has a list of foundation grants. You have to sign up but it is free to search

Last edited:
F32s are grant where you apply for protected research time directly to the NIH. I've honestly never seen a trainee on them, but I assume they are like F30s and F31s, i.e. they are offered by only certain institutes and are very competitive (paylines in the top 15% or so)

T32s are awarded to universities and the trainee application goes to them, it is not peer-reviewed by the NIH (unlike the F grants). T grants also have protected time, similar to F. Because they are awarded by the university and not the NIH, they tend to be less competitive. There are certainly the more common model of protecting trainees for research that I've seen. There might me monetary differences between the two, but both cover the trainees salary.

Many universities have T32s and your project may been eligible even if the T32 isn't specifically pulmonary (people usually make the topics as broad as possible to encourage trainee applications from mulitple specialities). I don't know if either T or F support 1 year. Usually it is 2, with a max of 3.

As far as other grants, many foundations offer grants to trainees. Your institutions Office of Research may have a list of foundation grants available. Additionally Trialect.com has a list of foundation grants. You have to sign up but it is free to search

Thanks for your input. That makes sense. My experience thus far on the interview trail is that institutions with T32 funding often have residents do a "4th year" predominately doing research. For those interested in clinical research careers but not at an institute that offer grant funding for extra years of research, what course do you routinely see fellows take to build an independent clinical/translational career? I'm trying to understand the academic landscape better.

Thanks for your input. That makes sense. My experience thus far on the interview trail is that institutions with T32 funding often have residents do a "4th year" predominately doing research. For those interested in clinical research careers but not at an institute that offer grant funding for extra years of research, what course do you routinely see fellows take to build an independent clinical/translational career? I'm trying to understand the academic landscape better.

The 4th year is based on the idea that fellowship is 3 years, 18 months clinical, 18 months research during which 12 of those months you would be on a T32, with an additional 12 months on a T32, thus the fourth year.

I did a T32 and most MD academic faculty who do primary research took the same route. When you are a junior faculty or senior fellow, then you apply to the NIH for a mentored physician-scientist grant. For research that involves direct patient contact, you apply for a K23. Alternatively, there are K12 and KL2 institutional grants to junior faculty and senior follows, that function like K grants to the NIH, but with less money and time (similar to a T32).

Reactions: 1 user