Feb 17, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
So I'm a bit confused on what Semester Credit Hours means. A school I want to apply to has a requirement of, 4 (3 hours of lecture, 1 hour of lab) for Physics. Does this mean in a 3 quarter physics lecture series, I can take 1 quarter of lab and fulfill this requirement?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Candor Chasma
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Typically that means 3 hours per week of lecture and 1 hour of lab per week for 15 weeks. Two semesters = 30 weeks, 3 trimesters or quarters = 30 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user

KnightDoc

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So I'm a bit confused on what Semester Credit Hours means. A school I want to apply to has a requirement of, 4 (3 hours of lecture, 1 hour of lab) for Physics. Does this mean in a 3 quarter physics lecture series, I can take 1 quarter of lab and fulfill this requirement?
I'm not really sure what you are asking. In a typical set up in a school with a fall and spring semester, most classes either meet for 3 50 minute sessions (or two 75 or 80 minute sessions) each week, and you get credit for 3 hours. In a science class with a lab, your either get 4 hours credit for the class to take into account all the time you spend in the lab, or the lab is credited separately for 1 hour, even though you spend a lot more than 1 hour per week in the lab plus whatever class time is devoted to it. It has nothing to do with quarters. Make sense?

Last edited:
About the Ads

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I get what you’re talking about. You need to look at the conversion of quarter hours to semester hours. The AMCAS guide explains how to do this. I don’t think one quarter will be sufficient but you can call the school to ask. Remember, quarter hours are less than semester hours because a year long sequence is 12 quarter hours but only 8 semester hours.

Screamapillar

7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Try taking a look at your transcript. I know when I graduated I was confused about this stuff, especially since my school makes all classes worth 1 credit, whether it has a lab or met 5 times a week (languages). On your transcript, probably at the bottom there will be a key. Thats where I saw each class is worth 5 "quarter hours", which translates to roughly 3 1/3 semesters.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
In this particular case, you would three quarters of lecture and three quarters of lab

1) For purposes of AMCAS 1 quarter hour = 0.67 semester hours.
2) For purposes of prereq requirements at individual medical schools, if you are a quarter system and have taken the “normal” sequence of courses at your UG for introductory bio, chem, physics or organic it will most likely suffice for fulfilling prereqs.
3) for the above courses usually come with year long lecture (2 semesters or 3 quarters) as well as year long lab

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.