Can someone explain what exactly passing a rotation means?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taxonomy

Reaction score
Our school grading is split 15% for quizzes and group presentation, 40% for evaluation and 45% for shelf exam. We need 70% total to pass rotations.
I got “exceeds expectations “ on my evaluation, which is what only 20% top students get and I got A on presentation and quizzes. I might have bombed shelf however. Still waiting for shelf results.
So I was just wondering, is it possible to still pass a rotation by getting 70% total even if I did poorly on shelf? Or is it that there is some minimum score you have to get on shelf to be considered not a fail? So for example I can still get 70% total for rotation but since I “failed“ shelf I will be forced to retake it?
Also, will I have to just retake shelf or I’ll have to repeat rotation? How many times can one take same shelf? Does it go on record on deans letter or something?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

This is school-dependent but at my school you would have had to retake a failed shelf exam even if you had a passing grade overall.

Reactions: 1 users
Fortunately I haven't had to experience exactly what happens if you fail either portion of a rotation, but it's my understanding that at my school if you fail either part (50% preceptor evaluation, 50% shelf/ COMAT), then you have to repeat the entirety of the rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is school-dependent but at my school you would have had to retake a failed shelf exam even if you had a passing grade overall.

This is how my school does it

Chances are you had to at least yet 6-10th percentile on the shelf to pass. If you didn't, you will probably have to retake and your grade will be modified. But like everyone said, this is school specific

Update: I got 78 while passing score was 84, so 6 points short. I'm not sure if that means I was close to passing or not, since I don't know if it's out of 110 or 150 or whatever is max score available. Thank you all for your answers. You were right, I'll have to take shelf one more time (but not rotation) together with my current rotation shelf. So I'll have to prepare for double exam same day, one after each other.
What can I say - I can only blame myself for this stupid situation. My biggest enemy right now is not knowledge or tough exam - I know it's doable, but I'm really short of time due to my current rotation. It's going to be really tough to study for both exams within limited time I have after shifts.

Update: I got 78 while passing score was 84, so 6 points short. I'm not sure if that means I was close to passing or not, since I don't know if it's out of 110 or 150 or whatever is max score available. Thank you all for your answers. You were right, I'll have to take shelf one more time (but not rotation) together with my current rotation shelf. So I'll have to prepare for double exam same day, one after each other.
What can I say - I can only blame myself for this stupid situation. My biggest enemy right now is not knowledge or tough exam - I know it's doable, but I'm really short of time due to my current rotation. It's going to be really tough to study for both exams within limited time I have after shifts.
Sucks man, I've been worried about this happening to me too, especially during surgery. Hang in there!

Do you know anything about ANKI? There are two popular decks for USMLE STEP 2 and shelf exams: 1) WiWa and 2) Zanki

It has about 500-1000 cards for each block. You shouldn't have any trouble passing the shelf exams if you know these cards cold. There's no need for any other resources besides these decks and UW.

Nailing down these cards before each block and during the first week of every rotation has earned me a bunch of brownie points on my pimp sessions.

Both WiWa and Zanki score 260+ on their USMLE Step 2.

Do you know anything about ANKI? There are two popular decks for USMLE STEP 2 and shelf exams: 1) WiWa and 2) Zanki

It has about 500-1000 cards for each block. You shouldn't have any trouble passing the shelf exams if you know these cards cold. There's no need for any other resources besides these decks and UW.

Nailing down these cards before each block and during the first week of every rotation has earned me a bunch of brownie points on my pimp sessions.

Both WiWa and Zanki score 260+ on their USMLE Step 2.
Thank you! I'm going to download them and start doing them. Are they really that good so I don't need to use UW to pass shelf exams?

Thank you! I'm going to download them and start doing them. Are they really that good so I don't need to use UW to pass shelf exams?

You need UW. But these decks build baseline info for UW. UW integrates the knowledge into real world application.

Do not blow off UWorld. Medicine is the first rotation I’ve used Zanki for and I am definitely noticing a difference in knowledge base and I am better able to recognize symptoms in stems.