Can this be done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biogirl804

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All. I need advice...I'll be graduating in May 2010 as a high school biology teacher. For a long time i've been thinking about dentistry, and about applying to dental school. I've already taking all the pre-reqs because of my major, so I'm probably missing 1 class, or perhaps none at all. Do you think it will look weird to an admissions committee if I were to apply?? any help at all would be appreciated!! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

start shadowing a dentist to get a better perspective into the career. It's also mandatory to do so in order for your app to be considered. Although a majority of applicants come from science backgrounds, dental schools welcome anyone and everyone to apply as long as they complete the prereqs, DATs, etc. So you'll be fine.

I second that. You need to show some evidence that you know what you're getting yourself into. Most schools don't explicitly require it. But I'd say 100+ hours of volunteering/shadowing in the dental setting is a must. Also, you need to discover for yourself why dentistry is appealing to you. Dentistry is not an easy profession. And you need to be sure that this is what you want. If you're convinced that this is what you want, then you'll be able to convince the adcoms of this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentistry and teaching goes hand-in-hand. Educate and provide for the young so we can prevent issues as they age! You'll be fine.

I've been a tv producer for 8 years. Spent the last 2 years getting my pre-reqs done and shadowing a dentist. Lots of people switch careers. You just need to prove to them that dentistry is definitely what you want! I applied to a bunch of schools and I've been accepted to two so far. Your career as a bio teacher is definitely less of a stress than mine was/is -- you'll be fine!

Thanks everyone!! your advice really helped :) i'm gonna start searching for a Dentist to shadow!

Good luck! Your switch isn't far-fetched at all. My class has art majors, a journalist, even a lawyer! You'll be fine.