can we change our rank lists post-deadline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurokitty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is likely a dumb question, but can we change our rank lists now? I'm beginning to have a panic attack and am worried that I made a mistake with my #1... I've checked the NRMP site and can't find any info on changing our lists. :(

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is likely a dumb question, but can we change our rank lists now? I'm beginning to have a panic attack and am worried that I made a mistake with my #1... I've checked the NRMP site and can't find any info on changing our lists. :(

Thanks!

Of course, thats why its called a deadline dumbf*ck, oh no, wait....

Way to identify it as a dumb question before asking it anyway.

Why do you have to be so mean!!!!!!

You can change it, but only informally. Just write a very long letter to your current #1 pick explaining that you made a mistake and don't want to go there any more. After that, everything will be taken care of.

Are you serious? You entered into a binding contract. There's no possible way you can change your ROL now.

You can change it, but only informally. Just write a very long letter to your current #1 pick explaining that you made a mistake and don't want to go there any more. After that, everything will be taken care of.

:confused: hmmm...that would only work if the program could change their ROL! you are a strange advice giver.:thumbdown:

:confused: hmmm...that would only work if the program could change their ROL! you are a strange advice giver.:thumbdown:

<sigh>

I knew someone would pop in with this comment.

See, here's why my post was funny. Obviously the OP can't change his/her ROL, and neither can the program. So the OP writes a letter to their #1 program saying he/she doesn't really want to go there. Then, if the OP matches there, everything is all screwy because they are starting intern year at a program they previously wrote a letter to saying they didn't want to be there. But no one can do anything about it because of the binding contract . . .

It's like a "comedy of errors" motif. And now you've ruined it by making me explain myself. Thanks, you buzzkill you.

<sigh>

I knew someone would pop in with this comment.

See, here's why my post was funny. Obviously the OP can't change his/her ROL, and neither can the program. So the OP writes a letter to their #1 program saying he/she doesn't really want to go there. Then, if the OP matches there, everything is all screwy because they are starting intern year at a program they previously wrote a letter to saying they didn't want to be there. But no one can do anything about it because of the binding contract . . .

It's like a "comedy of errors" motif. And now you've ruined it by making me explain myself. Thanks, you buzzkill you.

not too funny, man! i had a feeling you were being quite sarcastic but because of the unlimited amount of stupidity on this site, i cannot take people seriously. don't you agree? (if not, then you're stupid ;) )

and btw, my buzz is doing just fine. :p

not too funny, man! i had a feeling you were being quite sarcastic but because of the unlimited amount of stupidity on this site, i cannot take people seriously. don't you agree? (if not, then you're stupid ;) )

It's like I've said before: Never make an important life decision based on advice from an anonymous internet bulletin board.

I never feel bad giving bad advice to questions that are easily answered by reading readily available information (ie - "Can I change my ROL after the deadline?")

It's like I've said before: Never make an important life decision based on advice from an anonymous internet bulletin board.

I never feel bad giving bad advice to questions that are easily answered by reading readily available information (ie - "Can I change my ROL after the deadline?")

i completely agree with your statements...my only question to the OP is,"don't you have the time to talk with school admin about these somewhat important life decisions?"

Thanks!

no, but there are always residents changing places/hospitals cities, post match and throughout the year, that's why you hear of openings. It may be a violation or not, but it does happen. leaving one program for another is very possible and happens all the time (family and personal reasons, etc.) and is easier after completing intern year..(hard part is explaining your reasoning and getting a good lor from your current program)

That really was some toolish advice even if you were trying to be funny. Can you imagine if this person did this? Obviously if he/she was ignorant enough to ask this question, he/she would be ignorant enough to take your advice. What a poor relationship this person would have with his/her residency choice.

Perhaps this is one of those joke-posts trying to get a rile outta people. Kinda like the post in the other thread:

"You guys are screwed, mine says Ranking"

Haha, I was crackin' up about that one for a good while!:laugh:

no, but there are always residents changing places/hospitals cities, post match and throughout the year, that's why you hear of openings. It may be a violation or not, but it does happen. leaving one program for another is very possible and happens all the time (family and personal reasons, etc.) and is easier after completing intern year..(hard part is explaining your reasoning and getting a good lor from your current program)

That is right, residents can change specialty after or even before they start. The program should waive you and the match should know and agree first with that. The point is that you have to explain why you want to do that, not just; I don’t like that program or city and like the other, this will not work.

I never thought i would see someone ask this question.

LMAO! A perfectly appropriate, and funny, response to the OP's question.

I understand we should help each other out, but the OP obviously didn't look around or think much before asking an admittedly dumb question. I'm not sure I even believe the OP was serious.

That really was some toolish advice even if you were trying to be funny. Can you imagine if this person did this? Obviously if he/she was ignorant enough to ask this question, he/she would be ignorant enough to take your advice. What a poor relationship this person would have with his/her residency choice.

That's what's funny.
That's exactly the point.

And THAT is exactly what makes it funny.

Anyway, I actually got a warning for my original response to the OP. To whoever flagged me for flamming such a ******ed question.:thumbdown:

Anyway, I actually got a warning for my original response to the OP. To whoever flagged me for flamming such a ******ed question.:thumbdown:

You got a warning and I didn't?! Wacky world, this SDN. Must have been a "Insulting Other SDN Members" tag, I'm guessing.

You got a warning and I didn't?! Wacky world, this SDN. Must have been a "Insulting Other SDN Members" tag, I'm guessing.

Yep. Im guessing the Dumbf*ck comment pushed the edges of good taste in some person's view.

Simply awesome. On one hand we have an absolute, top of the pile asinine question. Then, when people answer truthfully (as in, yes, you have to be a ***** to not know this or even to not be able to look it up), they get dinged.
Then we have people arguing that the comedic input is too much, because someone might actually do it.
Tell you what, people stop asking me to hold their hands, and I'll stop leading them into the fire. Or, they'll learn after the first few get led in. Either way, it will fix itself.

Yep. Im guessing the Dumbf*ck comment pushed the edges of good taste in some person's view.

Yeah, I, for one, find asterisks personally offensive. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I, for one, find asterisks personally offensive. :rolleyes:

Like you can't see what it spells. Saying something so harsh and inappropriate is not necessary.

The first aid for the Match states that you can change your rank list. You have to have your dean approve it and fax it to the NRMP. The nrmp will accept it up to a couple of days after the match.

The first aid for the Match states that you can change your rank list. You have to have your dean approve it and fax it to the NRMP. The nrmp will accept it up to a couple of days after the match.

LMAO!!! That is simply...awsome! :thumbup: :thumbup:

What a thread...

p4pzvscjveavg4ovyqptjilph5.jpg

To Hotlanta:
In light of this post by GYN DOC, are you sure you don't want to reconsider your opinion on that particular string of characters (and that darn asterisk) as being "harsh and inappropriate?" Or maybe you meant "harsh and inappropriate" in the sense that it's "succinct and accurate?"

Personally, I find ignorant posts like these to be far more offensive than Dynx's choice of words. :rolleyes:

Now now, maybe GYN meant it as a joke. I can only hope anyway.

Now now, maybe GYN meant it as a joke. I can only hope anyway.

Actually, my GF told me that she found that in there when I told her about this thread. I really doubt anyone has been foolish enough to try and use it though. It's called a deadline for a reason.

Ok, I take it all back. You guys are correct. You can change your list!

I consulted my mentor Dr. Emmett Brown for advice, and he actually confirmed that it IS possible to change your ROL after the deadline. All you need to do is build a flux capacitor and install it into a DeLorean DMC-12 (believe it or not, these were not offered as an option while the short-lived DeLorean was in production). Then as long as you hit the wire from the clock tower with the connecting hook on the back of the car while traveling at precisely 88mph the instant the lightning strikes the tower, you'll build up the requisite 1.21 gigawatts of power necessary for traveling back to 8PM EST on 2/21/07. This would give you exactly one hour to change your list and submit it to the NRMP.

He warned me, though, that you have to make sure that you don't meet your past self submitting that original (wrong) list, because then you might cause a time paradox and destroy the universe as we know it. Good luck. :luck:

vqgmoornh44ivoejx257plrrs6.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, I take it all back. You guys are correct. You can change your list!

I consulted my mentor Dr. Emmett Brown for advice, and he actually confirmed that it IS possible to change your ROL after the deadline. All you need to do is build a flux capacitor and install it into a DeLorean DMC-12 (believe it or not, these were not offered as an option while the short-lived DeLorean was in production). Then as long as you hit the wire from the clock tower with the connecting hook on the back of the car while traveling at precisely 88mph the instant the lightning strikes the tower, you'll build up the requisite 1.21 gigawatts of power necessary for traveling back to 8PM EST on 2/21/07. This would give you exactly one hour to change your list and submit it to the NRMP.

He warned me, though, that you have to make sure that you don't meet your past self submitting that original (wrong) list, because then you might cause a time paradox and destroy the universe as we know it. Good luck. :luck:

vqgmoornh44ivoejx257plrrs6.jpg

I prefer this idea than talking to your deans. :laugh:

Fine! It was a stupid question, and I'm sorry for asking it! I was freaking out and in a moment of blind insanity thought I'd ask people here, because I thought I had read in a post from a few years ago that you could pay money to change your ROL. Whatever. I hope you've all had your fun; at the very least, the irritation you've all felt in dealing with the stupidity of my question may be outweighed by the enjoyment you've taken in jumping down my throat. And not that anyone cares, but I'm perfectly happy with my ROL and would not change it at this point. I'm glad I didn't have my little panic attack right before the deadline because then I WOULD have changed my list and I would now be really upset.

My apologies. Now please let this thread die.

I dont think you can change your list once you've submitted and certified.

No. In fact you cannot....change your list...after you've certified....it.

You can change your list as many times as you want even after certifying it, if it is before the deadline. You just have to make sure to certify again.
Now, after the DEADLINE (Feb 21 for 2007) you CANNOT change - it is called a deadline for a reason!!

Fine! It was a stupid question, and I'm sorry for asking it! I was freaking out and in a moment of blind insanity thought I'd ask people here, because I thought I had read in a post from a few years ago that you could pay money to change your ROL. Whatever. I hope you've all had your fun; at the very least, the irritation you've all felt in dealing with the stupidity of my question may be outweighed by the enjoyment you've taken in jumping down my throat. And not that anyone cares, but I'm perfectly happy with my ROL and would not change it at this point. I'm glad I didn't have my little panic attack right before the deadline because then I WOULD have changed my list and I would now be really upset.

uhhhhhh...........
no apologies needed.
but seriously....

+pity+ +pity+ +pity+ :wow: :wow: :wow: :confused: :confused: :confused:

oh my god...laughing my a$$ off right now.

well put dynx...well put.:clap:

Oh c'mon, don't get all grumpy over it. This was a hilarious thread, and you have to appreciate the comedy. This was classic SDN:

Post #1: Stupid question, prefaced with the comment, "This is probably a stupid question, but . . . "

Posts #2-7: Variations on "Wow, this is a stupid question."

Posts #8-9: The defenders of kindness arrive, "You people are such a$$holes. Why can't you be nice?"

Posts #10-14: An evil wind blows across the land, "The OP is stupid, and so are all you people defending him/her."

Posts #15-17: Truce talks commence, "Yes, it was a silly question, but the responses were kind of funny. Maybe we should all step back and lighten up."

Post #18: Troll instigates new outbreak of fighting.

Posts #19-26: Repeats of posts 2 through 17.

Post #27: OP checks back in, says something indignant then appologetic.

Posts #28-30: Thread slowly dies.

You left out Post #30 and beyond: Revived several years later for everyone to make fun of the OP and wonder if she ended up in Family Practice residency or scrambled into a cooking position at Waffle House.

Oh c'mon, don't get all grumpy over it. This was a hilarious thread, and you have to appreciate the comedy. This was classic SDN:

Post #1: Stupid question, prefaced with the comment, "This is probably a stupid question, but . . . "

Posts #8-9: The defenders of kindness arrive, "You people are such a$$holes. Why can't you be nice?"

Posts #10-14: An evil wind blows across the land, "The OP is stupid, and so are all you people defending him/her."

Posts #15-17: Truce talks commence, "Yes, it was a silly question, but the responses were kind of funny. Maybe we should all step back and lighten up."

You left out Post #30 and beyond: Revived several years later for everyone to make fun of the OP and wonder if she ended up in Family Practice residency or scrambled into a cooking position at Waffle House.

you got that right. i'm bookmarking this baby and have already marked my google calendar for february, 2008.

long live this thread.:D

i'm a day late. :D

lol, He knows he's a year late, it's by design. If you read his final e-mail posted in 2007, he clearly says he is marking his calendar for Feb. 2008 to revive the threat at that time.

Frankly, I'm impressed, that's dedication! :laugh:

Posts #8-9: The defenders of kindness arrive, "You people are such *****holes. Why can't you be nice?"

a year later... thank you for reviving this one, i haven't laughed this much in a LONG time

Last edited:
  • Love