Can we make a sticky for job critiques?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a interview with a recovery center medical director here in Florida through a recruiter.

6 month contract for 300k.

Supposedly all outpatient M-F, 9-5, 1 hour for new evaluations, 30 min for follow-ups. No call.

I wanted to ask “what’s the catch,” but didn’t know how to phrase that immediately during the interview.

No contract with exact job obligations yet. What do you guys think? Too good to be true?

In a job like this the red flag question would be how many patients are you seeing per day, but 9-5 with 1 hr new and 30 min f/u seems average.

Another thing would be insurance fraud and using my license for upbilling, but seems to be a reputable company with National locations. Started by MDs has MDs on the board.

2 NP and one physician there currently. Not going to be supervising NPs I don’t believe.

Will you be the medical director? Who is signing off on medical evals? Sometimes they want the “psych medical director” to sign off on NP medical notes. Will they use your name for signing off on a ton of expensive UA’s? I’m struggling to see why 30 min follow-ups and would they put that in the contract? Many residential centers have you see patients daily. 30 minutes daily is a lot of time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Will you be the medical director? Who is signing off on medical evals? Sometimes they want the “psych medical director” to sign off on NP medical notes. Will they use your name for signing off on a ton of expensive UA’s? I’m struggling to see why 30 min follow-ups and would they put that in the contract? Many residential centers have you see patients daily. 30 minutes daily is a lot of time.
No I will not be medical director, as I will be leaving for a fellowship in 6 months, and they don’t want turn over in the director role.

Great point about UAs will ask about that.

As for time I am also worried and will clarify. He said later after I get comfortable I can cut down on appointment times.

Are appointment times usually stipulated in the contract? Going to punt the contract over to a lawyer for review once received.

Had a interview with a recovery center medical director here in Florida through a recruiter.

6 month contract for 300k.

Supposedly all outpatient M-F, 9-5, 1 hour for new evaluations, 30 min for follow-ups. No call.

I wanted to ask “what’s the catch,” but didn’t know how to phrase that immediately during the interview.

No contract with exact job obligations yet. What do you guys think? Too good to be true?

In a job like this the red flag question would be how many patients are you seeing per day, but 9-5 with 1 hr new and 30 min f/u seems average.

Another thing would be insurance fraud and using my license for upbilling, but seems to be a reputable company with National locations. Started by MDs has MDs on the board.

2 NP and one physician there currently. Not going to be supervising NPs I don’t believe.
As you describe, yes, it is likely too good to be true. If this were a $600k per year job that was this good they wouldn't need to be using locums. There's a catch somewhere, and it's fair to ask that (in more professional terms, obviously).

As for time I am also worried and will clarify. He said later after I get comfortable I can cut down on appointment times.

Are appointment times usually stipulated in the contract? Going to punt the contract over to a lawyer for review once received.
This makes it sound like there will be some kind of production quota. Is this a straight up $300k for are there stipulations? If you want appointment lengths and/or number per day to be guaranteed this needs to be specified in the contract.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah all t
As you describe, yes, it is likely too good to be true. If this were a $600k per year job that was this good they wouldn't need to be using locums. There's a catch somewhere, and it's fair to ask that (in more professional terms, obviously).

This makes it sound like there will be some kind of production quota. Is this a straight up $300k for are there stipulations? If you want appointment lengths and/or number per day to be guaranteed this needs to be specified in the contract
Yeah

This makes it sound like there will be some kind of production quota. Is this a straight up $300k for are there stipulations? If you want appointment lengths and/or number per day to be guaranteed this needs to be specified in the contract.
Yeah great question I will ask in the follow-up interview, if there are production quotas or additional stipulations. All I know for now is what was discussed in this first interview outpatient M-F 9 to 5 work. No call no weekends.

What is a reasonable percent split to share with a group if you are doing inpatient coverage and they are handling billing? When a group covers a hospital, are there other fees that they generate or is it strictly whatever the doc (me) does/bills. So if I bill a 99232 and it reimburses at $100, that's the only money the group would generate from my work?

What is a reasonable percent split to share with a group if you are doing inpatient coverage and they are handling billing? When a group covers a hospital, are there other fees that they generate or is it strictly whatever the doc (me) does/bills. So if I bill a 99232 and it reimburses at $100, that's the only money the group would generate from my work?
Also curious of this, bump.

I have talked to a couple groups where they cover various hospitals. One group handles billing and has a 70/30 split with the doc. What is a reasonable split for inpatient? I know outpatient 60-80 appears common.

Also curious of this. Seems inpatient compensation is all over the place - do you own billing, hourly rate, flat rate per encounters, billing share....

Here’s a 1099 locums inpatient job from a recruiter in FL

• Specialties: Psychiatry
  • Primary Worksite City: Daytona Beach
  • Primary Worksite State: FL
  • Reason for Coverage: Perm Replacement
  • Work Schedule: 1 week on call and 1 weekend per month
    6 month commitment required
    Locums will need to on remain on site for 8 hours
    Locums can start 6:30am-8am every day
  • Staff Information: Full support staff
  • Patient Information: Adult + Geriatric
    Inpatient + Consults
    54 beds total (3 Inpatient units then crisis beds and observation unit in ED)
    Weekends: Locum Tenens will split the patients with other Psychiatrists and NP covering the unit
  • Required Procedures/Skills: Inpatient
  • Daily Rate: $1600 per day, OT: $220
  • EMR: Meditech Expanse
  • License State: FL
  • DEA Required: Yes
  • Selling Points/Community Information: Less than an hour from Orlando, FL and less than 2 hours from Tampa, FL
To be honest kind of **** pay to cover 3 inpatient units and consults, although I’m not sure how many patients are expected per day.

Or I don’t know. Maybe my expectations for pay are too high, and my cynicism for patient load at these kind of jobs too cynical.
This is straight garbage unless you are only seeing 1/4 of the beds even then that is still quite poor. If you were billing that yourself to insurance discounting the hospital fee you generate you could make 2500 seeing 1/2 of the beds

This is straight garbage unless you are only seeing 1/4 of the beds even then that is still quite poor. If you were billing that yourself to insurance discounting the hospital fee you generate you could make 2500 seeing 1/2 of the beds
Yeah locums in Florida sucks major a**.

Best job right know I can find is 200/hr M-F no weekends no call all output, 1 hr news and 30 min follow ups. I’m probably going to take it given that I don’t have other options.

Yeah locums in Florida sucks major a**.

Best job right know I can find is 200/hr M-F no weekends no call all output, 1 hr news and 30 min follow ups. I’m probably going to take it given that I don’t have other options.
Out of curiosity why not just start your own practice, rent an office one day a week, do the rest tele? You'd earn probably 75% more.

Out of curiosity why not just start your own practice, rent an office one day a week, do the rest tele? You'd earn probably 75% more.
I am graduating off cycle and am likely leaving for a fellowship in June. Match results come out nov 30

Have a first offer at a for profit inpatient hospital. $350k for 15 patients daily cap. Each additional patient beyond this cap is compensated at $100 per day. Extra pay for weeknight call and weekends - these numbers remain to be seen. Good area on the west coast thats not SD/LA/SF. No midlevel supervision. Hows this sound?

Have a first offer at a for profit inpatient hospital. $350k for 15 patients daily cap. Each additional patient beyond this cap is compensated at $100 per day. Extra pay for weeknight call and weekends - these numbers remain to be seen. Good area on the west coast thats not SD/LA/SF. No midlevel supervision. Hows this sound?
Fair offer if in a LCOL area, and with no call unless the call is compensated well

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Call is the big make/break in this. If you can avoid it altogether that is the best case scenario. If you are taking it and it's a busy for-profit hospital be prepared to be called a lot and make sure it's real compensation for it. I did a similar job for a year and would average 4-6 calls between 10pm-7am which makes for a very tough night of sleep.

Call is the big make/break in this. If you can avoid it altogether that is the best case scenario. If you are taking it and it's a busy for-profit hospital be prepared to be called a lot and make sure it's real compensation for it. I did a similar job for a year and would average 4-6 calls between 10pm-7am which makes for a very tough night of sleep.
For sure - I will find out about this. One hospital I was in discussion with was reimbursing home call at 400 per night for weekday and 500 for weekend. For that rate I think I could tolerate a night of interrupted sleep...but well see.

The main thing I liked about this is I'm free to be out of the hospital when I finish rounding. Figure starting by 7 I should pretty easily be out by noon which would free up 3-4 hours a few days a week for a private practice.

That seems like a solid job to me. Also seems like a pretty good path to making well into the 500s if you're able to do 12 hours of private practice a week which still puts you at about ~40 hours a week. Personally, I see some attending's do 15 patients in 3 hours, although I'm sure the care is suffering in there.

For sure - I will find out about this. One hospital I was in discussion with was reimbursing home call at 400 per night for weekday and 500 for weekend. For that rate I think I could tolerate a night of interrupted sleep...but well see.

The main thing I liked about this is I'm free to be out of the hospital when I finish rounding. Figure starting by 7 I should pretty easily be out by noon which would free up 3-4 hours a few days a week for a private practice.
400 per night is not good pay for call..ortho and other specialties are making 1500 or more per night of call, you’re sacrificing your sleep and dying younger due to taking call..it should be worth it

Reactions: 3 users
400 per night is not good pay for call..ortho and other specialties are making 1500 or more per night of call, you’re sacrificing your sleep and dying younger due to taking call..it should be worth it

True. But is there anywhere in the world where psychiatrists are being paid even half of that to answer the phone at night? Most I have hard is 500.

For at home call answering a phone and never going in? I've seen that for in house call sure but that is a bit different than from home call never going in and answering a few 30s-2min phone calls

For at home call answering a phone and never going in? I've seen that for in house call sure but that is a bit different than from home call never going in and answering a few 30s-2min phone calls
The point is you’re sacrificing not only the quality but the longevity of your life for this so better make it worth it

The point is you’re sacrificing not only the quality but the longevity of your life for this so better make it worth it
I dont know, I think it depends on the person. I can get back to sleep pretty easily. Those calls in residency never bothered me too much.

On a side note, I wonder if you could just call up various psych hospitals and offer to take their weeknight call for a set fee. Take 3-4 hospitals, rake in 1600-2000 a night. Move to a different time zone abroad where the calls are coming during the daytime and make 500k a year just to answer the phone and not have to do much thinking. lol.

I agree. But that doesn’t discount the question you’re tossing numbers out that are just not comparable creating false expectations.

Personally I don’t take call for the plain and simple reason I don’t want to. During the day after I’ve left the unit I still have people trained not to call. Text me or I won’t answer.

Where I am I hear numbers between $300 and $600 per night for home weekday night call. I don't seek out the numbers though, so I just hear what people say. I'm not willing to sacrifice evening time with my kid or dinner or bedtime with my wife for that amount of money. Obviously, there are people out there who do think it's an okay arithmetic. I believe (but have never seen evidence indicating either yes or no) that part of why the rate is so low is because people are taking home call for multiple hospitals at once like an above poster said. Even just making it $600-1200/night makes it seem substantially more palatable.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree. But that doesn’t discount the question you’re tossing numbers out that are just not comparable creating false expectations.

Personally I don’t take call for the plain and simple reason I don’t want to. During the day after I’ve left the unit I still have people trained not to call. Text me or I won’t answer.
Im not tossing out numbers I'm saying that’s what ortho makes, they are at home call and they just answer questions but have to come in if it’s emergency which we don’t, either way we are both waking up at night and sacrificing our longevity and quality of life

On the thread of ED psych jobs, how is this offer for a full time ED psych job in a large city in a well resourced hospital:
303k/year guaranteed salary
50k sign on bonus over one year
4k for CME
7on/7off schedule

On the thread of ED psych jobs, how is this offer for a full time ED psych job in a large city in a well resourced hospital:
303k/year guaranteed salary
50k sign on bonus over one year
4k for CME
7on/7off schedule
I'll give you an offer I was recently given as comparison. 1099. Psych ED. 15 beds, you split with an NP. A few new patients per day who NP also helps with. 10am to 5pm. Work load seems pretty light but as 1099 so does pay. They offered 210/hr at initial phone call. I wouldn't take it at this but if we could go to 240 I'd probably accept.

I'r be curious what daily volume you are responsible for is. I'd also wonder what full-time means as in hours and shifts per month.

On a related note, I've had a few initial phone calls with hospitals and groups. When discussion of compensation comes up, they've all been willing to throw out the initial number. When is the appropriate time to start negotiating on that number? Can I assume that this is a floor and not a ceiling if it's the first thing they've thrown out?

I'll give you an offer I was recently given as comparison. 1099. Psych ED. 15 beds, you split with an NP. A few new patients per day who NP also helps with. 10am to 5pm. Work load seems pretty light but as 1099 so does pay. They offered 210/hr at initial phone call. I wouldn't take it at this but if we could go to 240 I'd probably accept.

I'r be curious what daily volume you are responsible for is. I'd also wonder what full-time means as in hours and shifts per month.

On a related note, I've had a few initial phone calls with hospitals and groups. When discussion of compensation comes up, they've all been willing to throw out the initial number. When is the appropriate time to start negotiating on that number? Can I assume that this is a floor and not a ceiling if it's the first thing they've thrown out?
It's technically a consult position - ED PAs are primary and consult psych when needed. Supposedly ranges from 0-7 consults/day, averaging at 3/day. Hours 8-4, for 14 shifts/month. So comes out to $232/hour for salary. Salary seems non-negotiable since it's a flat rate across the entire department.

It's technically a consult position - ED PAs are primary and consult psych when needed. Supposedly ranges from 0-7 consults/day, averaging at 3/day. Hours 8-4, for 14 shifts/month. So comes out to $232/hour for salary. Salary seems non-negotiable since it's a flat rate across the entire department.
I would jump on that. Would leave time for another job if you wanted to make well over 400k.

And to answer your question re: appropriate time to negotiate initial salary number-- as soon as you get an offer in hand, then you can ask for what you want and see what they come back with.

And to answer your question re: appropriate time to negotiate initial salary number-- as soon as you get an offer in hand, then you can ask for what you want and see what they come back with.
Gotcha. So youd agree that first number isn't likely to be their best but I should wait until I get an offer to negotiate pay? Places like VA, Kaiser prob notwithstanding.

Gotcha. So youd agree that first number isn't likely to be their best but I should wait until I get an offer to negotiate pay? Places like VA, Kaiser prob notwithstanding.
Yes, absolutely. They know you'll negotiate, but most employers/recruiters would be turned off if you try to negotiate before receiving an official offer.

$300k for seeing an average of 3-4 patients per day on a 7/7 schedule sounds pretty fantastic to me. If you’ve got good support staff this isn’t even a question, this is solid.

$300k for seeing an average of 3-4 patients per day on a 7/7 schedule sounds pretty fantastic to me. If you’ve got good support staff this isn’t even a question, this is solid.

300k for 4 pts a day in a ED is hella sus though no? Unless this is like rural BFE

300k for 4 pts a day in a ED is hella sus though no? Unless this is like rural BFE
Yeah I'd be really curious what the actual statistics are. Maybe it's close to what they're quoting now but they're hiring with the hope of expanding what's consultable.

Maybe? This is basically my current position at an academic hospital except my actual work shift is 6 hours with 2 hours of overlap with next shift/admin time. Base salary is $210k with expected income after RVU bonus and call to be around ~240-250k, maybe higher.

Keep in mind that most ER encounters (80%+) are going to be 90792, so seeing 4 new patients per day for a 7/7 schedule is 16.64 wRVUs per day or ~3k wRVUs per year. That's not including the added value of patients which can be seen from getting psych patients dispo'd faster. If it's a straight salaried position, that average number of patients can also jump without salary pay. Plus ER can be feast or famine. I've had days where I saw no patients and a couple where I walk into 6-7 waiting to be seen.

what is sus? What is BFE? I don't know these abbreviations...
BFE = Bumblef*** Egypt; basically places so rural/isolated that no one has heard of them.

Don't know what to make of this job:
We are looking for a part-time Psychiatrist to do psych evals
  • Cash Pay
  • Flexible schedule
  • Must have access to a clinic/office to see patients.
  • No insurance is involved. Malpractice covered.
  • No prescribing and no treatments. Only evals on a pre-documented diagnosis.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract

Pay: $100.00 - $200.00 per hour

What is this? No prescribing and no treatments? Why?

Don't know what to make of this job:
We are looking for a part-time Psychiatrist to do psych evals
  • Cash Pay
  • Flexible schedule
  • Must have access to a clinic/office to see patients.
  • No insurance is involved. Malpractice covered.
  • No prescribing and no treatments. Only evals on a pre-documented diagnosis.
Job Types: Part-time, Contract

Pay: $100.00 - $200.00 per hour

What is this? No prescribing and no treatments? Why?
Disability evals

Reactions: 5 users
Hey all long-time lurker. Appreciate all the helpful advice on this site over the years. Could use some input deciding between jobs

Job 1:
w2 position at medium sized hospital system in Northeast.
275k/year. 25k signing bonus. 7 weeks vacation. Standard W2 benefits
34 patient hours/week, 6 hours admin time.
EPIC EMR
70% of time collaborative care (Referrals from PCPs screened by LCSWs. Seen by me 1-2x. No prescribing, making recs to the PCPs. No NP/PA supervision.)
30% of time doing MAT (suboxone, vivitrol). Very comfortable with addictions

Job 2:
1099. Adult outpatient in group practice. Work from home
70/30 split, paid based on collections.
Insured patient population.
States I should expect about $250/hour. 60 min intakes, 30 min follow ups.
Provided administrator for scheduling/prior auths. Coverage provided for vacation.
Can work as much or as little as I want (min of 8hours/week)
I pay for malpractice/License
Charm EMR

Job 1 seems safer, Job 2 seems like better earning potential/flexibility. I worry about job 2's assurances that my schedule will be filled quickly and the hourly rate appears higher than I would expect for 70% (or does this sound correct?). Has any one had a collaborative care position? Potential pitfalls of that?

Thanks

Speaking of disability evals, anyone know how you can cut out the middle man and secure the contract on your own?

Hey all long-time lurker. Appreciate all the helpful advice on this site over the years. Could use some input deciding between jobs

Job 1 seems safer, Job 2 seems like better earning potential/flexibility. I worry about job 2's assurances that my schedule will be filled quickly and the hourly rate appears higher than I would expect for 70% (or does this sound correct?). Has any one had a collaborative care position? Potential pitfalls of that?

Thanks

The non-ER portion of my position is telehealth collaborative/integrative care with ~10 rural clinics which I've been doing for about 3 months. I do prescribe meds I start or make major changes to as a courtesy to the PCP, but otherwise don't prescribe.

I've found it's been highly dependent on the referring individual but I've been pleasantly surprised to have gotten mostly reasonable and legitimate consults without anyone screening them (clarifying bipolar diagnoses and helping manage mod stabilizers, recs for refractory depression/anxiety/panic, polypharmacy issues, etc). I've also been very pleasantly surprised that most patients, probably 75-80%, are already in therapy. Which is much more than the patients in my resident clinics in a mid-size city with a large suburban area.

I have had a couple of "I inherited this patient on benzos, won't get off of them/taper, and I won't prescribe them" patients which I have handled as starting a taper for 2-3 appointments if the patient is willing and sending them back to PCP. If patient doesn't want to taper or participate, I just send them back with recs for the PCP. I could see a clinic with mostly those patients being an absolute nightmare, but the bright side is you only have to see them for 1-2 appointments.

Reactions: 2 users
The non-ER portion of my position is telehealth collaborative/integrative care with ~10 rural clinics which I've been doing for about 3 months. I do prescribe meds I start or make major changes to as a courtesy to the PCP, but otherwise don't prescribe.

I've found it's been highly dependent on the referring individual but I've been pleasantly surprised to have gotten mostly reasonable and legitimate consults without anyone screening them (clarifying bipolar diagnoses and helping manage mod stabilizers, recs for refractory depression/anxiety/panic, polypharmacy issues, etc). I've also been very pleasantly surprised that most patients, probably 75-80%, are already in therapy. Which is much more than the patients in my resident clinics in a mid-size city with a large suburban area.

I have had a couple of "I inherited this patient on benzos, won't get off of them/taper, and I won't prescribe them" patients which I have handled as starting a taper for 2-3 appointments if the patient is willing and sending them back to PCP. If patient doesn't want to taper or participate, I just send them back with recs for the PCP. I could see a clinic with mostly those patients being an absolute nightmare, but the bright side is you only have to see them for 1-2 appointments.
Thank for the reply. I agree a benzo clinic sounds like a nightmare, and they've assured me this is not one (so they say).

How have you found collaborative care compared with general adult outpatient work? I'm generally comfortable in the adult outpatient world and collab care would be a bit of departure, and I havent found too many people who actually do it. Does 24 patient hours/week of collab care sound reasonable? Find it rewarding?

When you guys do have patients you are prescribing controlled meds to, how often are you having them come back for follow ups? Is every month unreasonable?

Thank for the reply. I agree a benzo clinic sounds like a nightmare, and they've assured me this is not one (so they say).

How have you found collaborative care compared with general adult outpatient work? I'm generally comfortable in the adult outpatient world and collab care would be a bit of departure, and I havent found too many people who actually do it. Does 24 patient hours/week of collab care sound reasonable? Find it rewarding?

I do 6 hours per week, generally 4 hours of new evals and 2 hours of follow-ups. 24 hours sounds reasonable but I wouldn't want to do that much as it's a lot of evals. It's pretty different because with typical outpatient you'll eventually get to the point where you're doing 90% or more follow-ups. In collaborative care models you're naturally a consultant, so you're always going to have a fairly large percentage of patients requiring new evals or possibly being re-consulted. it's been fairly rewarding, but I also don't like outpatient, so I wouldn't be the best person to ask for that.

When you guys do have patients you are prescribing controlled meds to, how often are you having them come back for follow ups? Is every month unreasonable?
I mean, some people in private practice do that. I think it's a bit exploitative, especially for long-term patients who've been on a stable dose with no concerns for overuse or diversion.

(I'm assuming you're talking about stims primarily, not substance use treatment options.)

When looking at the CMS reimbursement tool, how come they don't have rates for 99231-99233?

I mean, some people in private practice do that. I think it's a bit exploitative, especially for long-term patients who've been on a stable dose with no concerns for overuse or diversion.

(I'm assuming you're talking about stims primarily, not substance use treatment options.)
In my area you have to pay out of pocket for most controlled meds with monthly visits. Your lucky if providers are doing monthly visits via insurance. There is no shortage of patients. Most of my colleagues don't feel comfortable giving 3 mo of stims/benzos etc vs 3 mo of SSRI etc in terms of liability as an overall trend you'll have more issues with the former category and in PP you want to minimize these things. Also, patients talk. If one finds out your doing 90 days for a select few that causes potential issues.

In my area you have to pay out of pocket for most controlled meds with monthly visits. Your lucky if providers are doing monthly visits via insurance. There is no shortage of patients. Most of my colleagues don't feel comfortable giving 3 mo of stims/benzos etc vs 3 mo of SSRI etc in terms of liability as an overall trend you'll have more issues with the former category and in PP you want to minimize these things. Also, patients talk. If one finds out your doing 90 days for a select few that causes potential issues.
Genuine question: what liability are you worried about and how do monthly appointments protect you against that liability in a way that q3mo, for example, wouldn't?

Reactions: 1 users