Can you be forced to be pharmacist-in-charge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Of course they can not tell you to take the PIC position. However, they could tell you to step up or step down if you know what I mean.

Sometimes you gotta balls up or your gonna miss more than just an opportunity
 
If a manager is going on a leave of absence, can they force the staff to become PIC?
I don't think they can change the job code without discussing with the staff RPh. Supervisors can be very persuasive

Your store does need to have someone designated as temporary PIC for regulatory compliance though
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, that situation technically cannot happen. You should read the Pharmacist Manual as you can only "voluntarily" accept CS inventory. No one can be forced to be named with the Power of Attorney for registration.

And no, the scenario where take the PIC or be fired is something DEA has ruled repeatedly as a revocable offense on the pharmacy registration. Not to say that a chain won't make your life a living hell through constructive termination, but that particular choice is something that chains have very careful policies that the RxS or DM assume temporary PIC until one is found.
 
I was in this situation once, turned it down (well, I didn’t technically turn it down...story below), and didn’t get fired.

I decided what it would be worth to me to do the position and made my offer. It was significantly higher than I’ve ever heard offered to be manager or PIC. They balked and went looking further afield, thankfully. It all worked out fine. Employment at will extends to the employee, too.

The downside of this tactic is that the quality of the PIC or manager chosen can be pretty bad if the company is in a pinch. It’s possible you may end up working for somebody very unqualified who wouldn’t normally be selected for that position.
 
This happened to 4 people I know. They all baulked and complained but folded like origami and became PIC.
 
The thing is, I took over for my manager for a couple months before and then he came to take the position back after the leave of absence was over. But now it's happening a second time and I'm not about do the company a favor again lol. Also, I didn't get compensated until I complained to HR. Only got a small raise, and it wasn't worth it at all. My manger is nice but also already sucks, so anyone they can find would probably be better than him haha.
 
If a manager is going on a leave of absence, can they force the staff to become PIC?

No they cant. But your DM will despise you for not stepping up. Remember your temporary and it's not as hard as some people make it out to be. So do your best for a bit, then go back to what you were doing....you will be in your boss good graces. Otherwise, yeah he/she may drive you insane until you break, or performance you out the door. This is a very cut throat field now, and there are sooooo many pharmacists. If your boss is in a pinch, help him out. Then when you need a hand , he/she should come through for you (hopefully). maybe move you to nicer location....etc?