• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Can you Defer 1 year before starting optometry school?

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knew what optometry schools thought about defering a year before starting optometry school. Would you have to redo the application and the whole cycle??

Thanks!

cpw

It's a boy !!!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2001
Tampa
  1. Optometrist
    it depends on your circumstances.. I only know one person who's defered... and it was cuz she had a deathly ill family member. You'd have to call individual schools and find out their policies... I'm sure they vary from school to school. (and by your reason for deferring)

soccerfan

10+ Year Member
    Mar 21, 2005
      Kristene9 said:
      I was wondering if anyone had any experience or knew what optometry schools thought about defering a year before starting optometry school. Would you have to redo the application and the whole cycle??

Thanks!

I don't think that would be an unusual request. I did it years ago, and so did several others in my class. Maybe things have changed, but you can always ask. I did it to save a little money before I started another 4 years of school. But you need to discuss this with the admissions people at the schools you have applied to.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.