Can you describe the "Secondary Application" process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ductus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to get a better idea of how the whole process works...

Do we receive a link to the schools website that allows us to complete the secondary essays and submit?

Is that it? Do they ask for demographic information and other questions (excluding essays)?

What about those on FAP? I've heard that we must supply each school with documentation. Or can they simply tell if we received FAP and will automatically waiver the fee? How does that work?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Each school has a slightly different approach. Most of them are online forms you submit. When I applied 3 years ago, I had 2 paper secondaries that had to be snail-mailed in (this may not be the case anymore for those schools). Some schools don't have essays. Some schools have a ton of essays. Some schools ask a lot of demographic questions. Some schools don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What about FAP?

Do I have to send documentation to each school I apply to? That'll suck.

What about FAP?

Do I have to send documentation to each school I apply to? That'll suck.

I'm actually interested in this as well. Do schools know you have FAP and automatically waive the secondary fee? Do some schools not waive it? Do schools waive it for the additional primaries?

Sorry to piggy back!

Reactions: 1 user
Bump. No one knows about how FAP works with the secondaries?

You have to sign up for FAP under one of the AMCAS websites and provide them income documents. Then it's linked with your AMCAS acc so all schools you apply to know that you receive FAP and they usually waive the secondary fee.

Tedious, really repetitive, expensive, and I really wonder if ADCOMs actually read them or if good ones really make a difference in your application. Also, FAP only covers a limited number of schools, so once you're beyond that amount, good luck.

A bunch of schools are gonna ask you a bunch of questions about why you love their school without having visited or experienced what they have to offer. You'll write several essays to convince them that you are the right fit for them.

Tedious, really repetitive, expensive, and I really wonder if ADCOMs actually read them or if good ones really make a difference in your application. Also, FAP only covers a limited number of schools, so once you're beyond that amount, good luck.

This is true for the primary, however most schools either significantly reduce or waive their secondary fees for applicants that are FAP eligible.

I think schools read them. I had a friend who wrote something that the medical school was against, so he got flat out rejected right after even though he was more than qualified.

Typically, it asks a bunch of garbage that you've already answered in your PS or something that could be ascertained through your AMCAS. And of course, they want money to read your answers.

I'd recommend typing your responses out in Word and saving it, even if it's an online form. A lot of these get repetitive and it's so easy to copy and paste and then slightly alter your response.

its not a process... its an expensive and time-consuming form of high-level brown-nosing

I'm convinced that most of them only include the essay prompts so that the work you put into it overshadows the check you're writing.