Medical Can you do a traditional Master's and DIY post-bacc at a different university at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current senior who currently with a 3.1 cGPA with an upward trend (2.8 first two years, 3.8 junior fall, junior spring semester was universal pass/fail for my university bc of COVID). Even though my GPA is subpar for competitive MD admissions, I am applying to Masters programs in Engineering right now because I'd like to have a worthwhile degree in case the med school process doesn't work out.

I know that all non-SMP courses you take as a grad student don't affect your cGPA and are essentially useless in the eyes of adcoms, so I was wondering if I could possibly do a part-time DIY post-bacc on the side at a different university in the same area of wherever I end up (I also still have one pre-med coursework requirement left in organic chemistry.) Is that allowed? I feel that the DIY would especially be helpful because my cGPA is quite malleable owing to the lost COVID semester.
No, especially if the MS is in Engineering. I fear that you are playing not merely with fire, but with a nuclear weapon.

Members don't see this ad.

I see, thanks @Goro! Is it because it would be better to just focus on one program at a time? If that's the case, do you suggest I take some post-bacc courses in the summer instead before I start a Masters program? I was also planning on using the summer time to shadow and do volunteering.
Is it because it would be better to just focus on one program at a time?

Yes

If that's the case, do you suggest I take some post-bacc courses in the summer instead before I start a Masters program?

Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.