Can you interpret a spine MRI better than a BC radiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

"Also, radiology residency requires a minimum of 48 months of intense education. On the flipside, other residency programs “do not offer sufficient education in diagnostic imaging and depend heavily on short rotations through the radiology department, during which the resident is passively observing as opposed to actively involved, and proper imaging education is inconsistent.”

Members don't see this ad.

Well, for what we need we certainly dont need to pick up on all the incidentals that radiologists need to know. Plus we have the physical exam to corroborate with the mri findings.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, it is kind of frustrating to read this article. Yea, absolutely I want a radiological read and signed by radiology, but I have caught some many things in which was never mentioned on the report, and had to call rads to amend their report. I’m not going go out there and do my own reads without them, but I’m not also going assume that they noted everything every time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I like to think of reading imaging as a collaborative effort...

Reactions: 2 users
I like to think of reading imaging as a collaborative effort...

I agree with this. I'm perfectly happy reading spine and most MSK imagining myself, and may see things not mentioned in the report, but I'm also looking for thing more closely based on patent complaints and my physical exam which they don't have. Weird incidental findings I'm happy to leave for them to interpret.

no. they are better.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with this. I'm perfectly happy reading spine and most MSK imagining myself, and may see things not mentioned in the report, but I'm also looking for thing more closely based on patent complaints and my physical exam which they don't have. Weird incidental findings I'm happy to leave for them to interpret.

A lot of radiologists don’t mention facet arthropathy. Also have seen them get left/right and levels wrong.
But had them pick up things I failed to see. good to have both look at it.

This is uncontroversial, obviously a radiologist would be better at radiology than a non radiologist

I took part in a combined radiology, neurosurgery and PMR monthly imaging conference. Everybody learned from each other, including the radiologists.

Reactions: 3 users
I like to have the objective radiology report to keep me honest. I see many many surgeons who when they read a scan personally will somehow always find something to operate on despite the radiology report.

That being said, the radiologist doesn't have the same goal as you. Maybe they're trained to emphasize surgical issues and don't care about mild facet arthropathy for example. Maybe they mention "diffuse disc bulging" but don't look too closely at which one is pressing against a nerve. It's good to double check for things that may be been left out.

And for RegenMed, the formal report isn't particularly useful. I want to know where exactly the tear is, where exactly the chondral defects are, etc.

I like to have the objective radiology report to keep me honest. I see many many surgeons who when they read a scan personally will somehow always find something to operate on despite the radiology report.

That being said, the radiologist doesn't have the same goal as you. Maybe they're trained to emphasize surgical issues and don't care about mild facet arthropathy for example. Maybe they mention "diffuse disc bulging" but don't look too closely at which one is pressing against a nerve. It's good to double check for things that may be been left out.

And for RegenMed, the formal report isn't particularly useful. I want to know where exactly the tear is, where exactly the chondral defects are, etc.

Seems to jive with your statement regarding the surgeons above.

Absolutely not.

I would like it if they stopped using the term "degenerative disc disease" in their radiology reports though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely not.

I would like it if they stopped using the term "degenerative disc disease" in their radiology reports though.

Interpreted by patients everywhere as “disintegrating spine disease”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

You can open your own MRI, but need radiologist to still interpret.

Interpreted by patients everywhere as “disintegrating spine disease”

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Exactly- how do these patients sleep at night thinking their spines a legit disintegrating?!

Maybe one of these chiropractic radiologists can explain to me what it means to have a hip that is "out."

A BC radiologist can read any MRI better than me, but that does not mean the BC radiologist can correlate it to symptoms better, nor do I expect them to. I have the advantage of a physical exam and real history.

"Also, radiology residency requires a minimum of 48 months of intense education. On the flipside, other residency programs “do not offer sufficient education in diagnostic imaging and depend heavily on short rotations through the radiology department, during which the resident is passively observing as opposed to actively involved, and proper imaging education is inconsistent.”

Of course a BC radiologist is going to be better. However, having another "set of eyes" to look at an image, particularly when we have a good patient history, can only be helpful.

All of us have found things missed by radiologists (no one is perfect) and all of us have had things pointed out by the radiologists that we missed. None of us bill for reading films, so I don't know why any radiologist would mind us looking at films as well. After all, it is doing what is best for the patient and is not an issue of "turf" at all. I don't know of any neurosurgeon or pain doc that bulls for reading films- it is just a part of the job.

I guess a lot of physicians are nervous about "turf" today.

Of course a BC radiologist is going to be better. However, having another "set of eyes" to look at an image, particularly when we have a good patient history, can only be helpful.

All of us have found things missed by radiologists (no one is perfect) and all of us have had things pointed out by the radiologists that we missed. None of us bill for reading films, so I don't know why any radiologist would mind us looking at films as well. After all, it is doing what is best for the patient and is not an issue of "turf" at all. I don't know of any neurosurgeon or pain doc that bulls for reading films- it is just a part of the job.

I guess a lot of physicians are nervous about "turf" today.

lol i was thinking the same thing. Pain guys dont even bill for the read so it's a moot point for them.

Maybe theyre concerned about nursedoctors reading mris?

i worked with a guy who would bill plain xrays. not MRIs tho.