can you learn everything thru continuing ed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crackerjack9999

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing a gpr residency, suppose you wanted to place implants, do crown lengthening, and extract impacted teeth.

Do you learn them all through a continuing education course?

Members don't see this ad.

You can learn all of those procedures during your GPR if you do a good one. If you don't do a good one, then yes there is CE available for most of that. Not sure about impacted wisdom teeth though.

You can learn all of those procedures during your GPR if you do a good one. If you don't do a good one, then yes there is CE available for most of that. Not sure about impacted wisdom teeth though.

You can learn all of those procedures during years 3 and 4 of your dental school if you go to a good dental school. If you don't go to a good one, then yes there are GPR residencies and CE available for that. :)

You can also pretend like you're interested in residencies like Endo, OMFS, etc. and try to do externships while you're in dental school, then pretend like you changed your mind and want to do GP, but that's REALLY REALLY mean since you'll be wasting those residents time, so not advisable at all. Also, your dental school GPA has to be comperable to what that specialty typically accepts, otherwise they won't waste their time considering your application. So if your GPA isn't high enough for OMFS, they'll just ignore your application, and I don't know how good of an idea it is to be so forthcoming with them about your true motives. Maybe an OMFS resident can comment about that. But practically speaking, you want to get into private practice without needing any additional training after graduation, and what better way to do that than to extern at a residency program where all they do all day is just that one specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
After doing a gpr residency, suppose you wanted to place implants, do crown lengthening, and extract impacted teeth.

Do you learn them all through a continuing education course?

You can probably learn most of those in a GPR or CE, but I never understand why general dentists want to take out impacted wisdom teeth. The General dentists practice is naturally geared toward high volume of crowns, fillings etc. why would somebody want to risk taking up to an hour just for impacted teeth when they could have done a couple crowns and a couple fillings etc. in the same amount of time.

You can learn all of those procedures during years 3 and 4 of your dental school if you go to a good dental school. If you don't go to a good one, then yes there are GPR residencies and CE available for that. :)

You can also pretend like you're interested in residencies like Endo, OMFS, etc. and try to do externships while you're in dental school, then pretend like you changed your mind and want to do GP, but that's REALLY REALLY mean since you'll be wasting those residents time, so not advisable at all. Also, your dental school GPA has to be comperable to what that specialty typically accepts, otherwise they won't waste their time considering your application. So if your GPA isn't high enough for OMFS, they'll just ignore your application, and I don't know how good of an idea it is to be so forthcoming with them about your true motives. Maybe an OMFS resident can comment about that. But practically speaking, you want to get into private practice without needing any additional training after graduation, and what better way to do that than to extern at a residency program where all they do all day is just that one specialty.

You are obviously not speaking from experience, b/c little of what you say is true, and even worse, doesnt make sense. So, I will try and set the record straight. You do not need good grades to do an externship. Yes, some programs may have a grade/board score cut off, but overwhelmingly, most dont. Of the four externships I did, one asked for grades. Furthermore, you will not learn to take out impacted thirds in an externship. You may get the chance to learn the basics in exodontia, and may tackle a few tougher cases, but you certainly will not be competent after a two week externship.

You are obviously not speaking from experience, b/c little of what you say is true, and even worse, doesnt make sense. So, I will try and set the record straight. You do not need good grades to do an externship. Yes, some programs may have a grade/board score cut off, but overwhelmingly, most dont. Of the four externships I did, one asked for grades. Furthermore, you will not learn to take out impacted thirds in an externship. You may get the chance to learn the basics in exodontia, and may tackle a few tougher cases, but you certainly will not be competent after a two week externship.

InMyCrossHairs, Are you a resident and where? Also, where did you do your 4 externships? I'm assuming OMFS, or were talking about another specialty?

No, I wasn't talking from experience since I haven't gone on externships yet. That's why I asked a resident to verify. But the LSU New Orleans oral surgery program requested a whole bunch of stuff from me, one of which was my class rank, which implies that it does matter. I know it's one of the nicer programs so maybe that's why they care. Do you mind sharing where you did your externs, how long ago, and briefly comment on how you liked them and whether you'd recommend them or not. Thanks.