Can you match ophthalmology with mediocre clerkship grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cg97bm

Reaction score
I have pretty average clerkship grades with a mixture of H/HP/P but a 26x step 2 score. I have 2 ophtho research publications and more in the works and a global ophtho experience. Will my average clerkship grades stop me from matching into optho?

Members don't see this ad.

Clerkship grades are the most important part of your application but that alone will not sink your application if the rest is good

I have pretty average clerkship grades with a mixture of H/HP/P but a 26x step 2 score. I have 2 ophtho research publications and more in the works and a global ophtho experience. Will my average clerkship grades stop me from matching into optho?
Applications are more than just clerkship grades and publications. Medical school name, recommendations and personal appearance counts, too.

You'll probably be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clerkship grades are the most important part of your application

Couldn’t disagree more with this statement. I just matched ophtho this cycle, and in my opinion, some of the most important factors were:
- Step 2 score
- Research
- LORs
- Medical school name
- Disadvantaged/underrepresented label

With clerkship grades being fairly far down on the list because they are not standardized between schools and many schools are P/F now. A 26X step2 score is amazing and you will likely earn many interviews.

I had 1 pass, 3 HP, and 4 H on my core clerkship rotations, and I had 18 interview invitations (ORM male, 251 step 2, 4 “submitted pubs”, none published, mid-tier med school, no AOA or GH). Only one interviewer ever mentioned my pass.

Another student from my school (again, mid-tier) had 1 P, 6 HP, 1 H and matched at Stanford.

You will do great, OP. Do some aways, write a killer PS, pick your letter writers carefully, and you will match at a great program.

Reactions: 1 user
You can match. I matched this season. with 1Pass. 1 HP. Rest Honors. Step 2 258. Mid tier USMD. Apply broadly (means apply all programs). Do as many aways as possible. Do till October. Do away in mid tier programs. Not top 40. If you see yourself doing another speciality happily, then dual apply. It will give most peace of mind. I had dual applied IM. which was moot as I matched Ophthal. still I consider that as my best decision, as I was very relaxed in stress ful time these period brings.