Can you read and dictate imaging studies after an integrated IR residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arrow-sign

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've recently worked with several interventional radiologists who perform procedures in the interventional suite and read and dictate imaging studies in the reading room. I am becoming increasingly interested in interventional radiology and will likely apply to integrated programs; however, I thoroughly enjoy spending time in the reading room and want to have a mix of IR and diagnostics in my future career. Therefore, if I do an integrated IR program, will I still have the ability to read and dictate imaging studies, or will I have to first complete a DR program and then an IR residency in order to be board certified in both fields?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've recently worked with several interventional radiologists who perform procedures in the interventional suite and read and dictate imaging studies in the reading room. I am becoming increasingly interested in interventional radiology and will likely apply to integrated programs; however, I thoroughly enjoy spending time in the reading room and want to have a mix of IR and diagnostics in my future career. Therefore, if I do an integrated IR program, will I still have the ability to read and dictate imaging studies, or will I have to first complete a DR program and then an IR residency in order to be board certified in both fields?

Yes

integrated IR residents are eligible for both the IR and DR board certification

Yes,
but if you join a well organized group that gives you the opportunity to spend a lot of time doing IR and doing high end IR, don't expect to read high end studies like body or neuro MRs. Your share of DR studies will be either IR related studies like vascular US or CTAs (which is very good for your IR practice) or will be plain films.

If you join a small community practice the story is different and you probably can do whatever you like but your IR work may not be high end cases and you will practically become a DR who does in bread and butter procedures.

Reactions: 1 users