Can you stack loan repayment programs? (State + IHS)

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by Lexington2012, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Lexington2012

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    There are state loan repayment programs that are pretty generous. For example, there is this one in Alaska:
    http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/HealthPlanning/Pages/sharp/default.aspx
    The Alaska program gives $47k per year towards student loans.

There is also the Indian Health Service loan repayment program that pays $20k per year and 20% of your taxes:
    http://www.ihs.gov/loanrepayment/index.cfm

Would I be able to do both of these programs at the same time? I would be looking for a job on an Indian/Inuit reservation.

If this works out, I would get:
    $47k+20K=67k in loan reimbursement each year on top of my salary.

2. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I have heard that you can, as long as you don't go over the balance of your loans over the total disbursement period. Of course, it's all program specific. For example, the VA gives up to 60k throughout a 5-year period, depending on your "bracket". If your loans are more than that, you can stack. However, if you pay off the 60k off in 1 year, you only get 12k of that money (60/5, if you get what I mean).

3. BMBiology

BMBiology temporarily banned~!
    15+ Year Member

Did I just hear someone say Barrow, Alaska?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jbrl

2+ Year Member

"SHARP-II has certain stipulations, a key one being that holding a concurrent service obligation with virtually any other entity is specifically disallowed (e.g., NHSC, I.H.S., and so on)." Directly taken from the page you linked.

5. Trent Steele

Trent Steele benadryl brownies
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Wow that looks like a great program. I'd imagine its quite competitive, but there are some parts of alaska that would be really great to live in for a few years. I'd go for this fast if i was new grad with debt.