Can you tell if the interviewer doesn't like u?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbettyrock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an interviewer doesn't agree or like what you say, is this usually easy to notice? I felt like I really connected with my interviewers, but now I'm looking back at some of my answers and realizing how horrible they actually were.........

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind sometimes interviewers will make it their point to disagree with you and make another (probably more knowledgeable) point about something to see if you stick to your opinions and defend it, rather then flip flop and be persuaded easily to change your viewpoints. Some interviews (although not many admittedly say that they still keep this practice) are stress interviews that are designed to see how you would react when the heat is on. That aside, there's no real way to tell if an interviewer is acting in a manner that may all be part of the pressure cooker interview, or if he or she is actually like that, but I would assume if an interviewer lightens up AFTEr the interview is over, it is probably part of the show, but if he or she carried on in the same way after an interview is completed, that may be a different story altogether

I second-guessed a bunch of my interviews a week or so after they occurred too. Trust me, everyone does. It's just the type of thing where your perception of the interview doesn't really matter - it's mainly what they think, and you have no real way of knowing that.

Also, no offense, but this is probably your 10th thread asking a very similar question about interviews. Take a chill pill.

Members don't see this ad :)
If an interviewer doesn't agree or like what you say, is this usually easy to notice? I felt like I really connected with my interviewers, but now I'm looking back at some of my answers and realizing how horrible they actually were.........
Everyone always freaks out after their interviews.

I really thought I totally bombed my top choice school. It was a horrible interview experience (though I loved the school). But I was accepted which just goes to show that judging your own interview performance is really difficult.

I second-guessed a bunch of my interviews a week or so after they occurred too. Trust me, everyone does. It's just the type of thing where your perception of the interview doesn't really matter - it's mainly what they think, and you have no real way of knowing that.

Also, no offense, but this is probably your 10th thread asking a very similar question about interviews. Take a chill pill.

point taken. But if you KNOW this is my "10th thread asking a very similar question...." what does that make you? :smuggrin:

Everyone always freaks out after their interviews.
Agreed.

And in addition to stress interviews, keep in mind that lots of medical school interviewers are just not good at it. Conducting interviews well is actually pretty difficult and many interviewers have very little training or inclination to do it properly. So if your interviewer seems to cut you off a lot, not respond to what you've said, look at his/her notepad more than you, and talk about themselves more than listen to you, it may be the sign of a bad interviewer more than a bad interview.

My perceptions have been right on about my interviews so far.

The good ones = acceptance.

The bad ones (UVA/BU) = post-interview rejection

The alright ones = waitlists.

But that's just my experience.

Yes. They'll usually turn up the heat on the questions if they think that you're not cut out for medicine.

Of course it's also a red flag if she slams her fist on the table and says, "I'm the boss applesauce!"

When they throw up in their trash can at the end of the interview it's usually a bad sign.

You beat me to it. Seriously, DoctorBettyRock, nothing you're feeling is abnormal. We've all felt we could have done better, given more concise answers, been a little more convincing, made better small talk, had better posture, made better eye contact. It's hard to judge how an interview goes, and even if you can, it's even harder to judge how that will translate in terms of an acceptance/rejection.
I'm not trying to call you out to be mean, because I hate when people jump all over people for questions they ask, but I really think you're better off if you stop trying to analyze your performance.

I interviewed better where I had good personality chemistry with the interviewer. If I had known that this would happen, I would have been conscious of it and would have made more effort in the those interviews where there was poor personality chemistry.

Whether they liked you or not is probably less of an issue than whether they will strongly recommend you over other candidates. Connecting with the interviewer is always a good thing. However, keep in mind that many interviewers choose to and can connect with just about any applicant. Some interviewers are mean & tough, but most were very friendly and sincere in my experience. There are always better answers to any interview question. Learn from the experience (practice better answers in front of the mirror, etc.) and move on. There isn't always just one right answer to a question. Many people are nervous in their interviews and might not communicate the best answer. Interviewers realize this and take that into consideration when they compare the candidates. In the interview they are trying to assess many aspects, such as your personal motivation for medicine and communication skills. Stay positive! :luck: