can you tell me about these NY rotations?

Started by PTOSIS
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PTOSIS

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i am a third year who wants to do a rotation in PM&R to see if i like it. this will be my first rotation of fourth year. can the current fourthyears and residents give me some info on COrnell, nyu,mount sinai? i would appreciate it. p
 
I am a current 4th year and rotated at NYU/Rusk last summer. Residents are busy and work hard & play hard being in midtown NYC. The program does not provide housing, for medical students or residents, so many of them commuted from the boroughs, some had lofts in midtown. I was able to sublease from an NYU medical student. You need to get your name on the NYUSOM housing list months in advance to to do this.

I felt it was a great learning experience, and as for the rumors of "malignancy," you are spared that as a medical student. I followed average of 2 in-patients per day, you see them and can write your own notes in the chart. You can go up to PT/OT and follow the course of therapy as well. You can present them on rounds the next day. If you show up and ask questions they will teach you. If not, they might not remember your name, it's a large program, and different attendings round on different days. Some attendings liked to pimp on rounds. Some complained, but I found after being challenged I remember things better, and become more eager to look things up. If you like learning on rounds, I felt NYU was the strongest out of all PM&R rotations I did. Attendings, residents, med students, and a few therapists rounded together as a coherent team, everyday. Team meetings were also always very well attended and thorough. Inpatient is service-based as of recently, so you can focus on MSK/Stroke/Medically Complex, you can pick your service based on your interests as a student. There were plenty of didactics and free lunches too. It's all there, and it seemed you can get involved as little or as much as you want to as a medical student. Some of the NYU students doing an elective and going into other things barely even seemed to show up.

Another unique thing they had going at rusk was therapist/resident exchange. Each dept, PT/OT, etc. would give lectures to residents. We practiced transfering each other as they would transfer patients from wheelchair to a bed. We learned all about various equipment from the people in the trenches that help make Rusk the well-respected rehab facility it is. Chief resident would also lecture therapists about medical complications they should be aware of. It was a great learning exchange.

Sometimes residents, and students who chose to hang out with them, would get out late. With all the lectures, and the time was not "protected," so they still had to finish notes on their patients despite the hours spent in lectures. But, I had seen residents (PGY-2's) stay late at other top programs as well. That's just the nature of PGY-2 at programs with a big inpatient base. You work more, but see more too. Also, New Yorker's are often outspoken in general... I remember as a med student I walked infront of a patient's wheelchair one time when I was rushing to clinic and he yelled at me "f you!" Lesson learned, albeit the hard way.

Resident camraderie was excellent. Often going out across the street if they had time to bagel shops and delis. Overall, I had a lot of fun and learned a lot on this rotation, but resident's, especially PGY-2's, probably have less free time to enjoy the city than they bargained for.
 
Thats an interesting perspective. Definately not one I have heard too often especially from my pgy-2 commrades over there. Maybe they put on a nice little show for you! As a resident, we do generally try and hold back our gripes about our programs just to leave a positive taste in prospecitve applicants' mouths. Thats just a little tid bit...


Hemisphere said:
I am a current 4th year and rotated at NYU/Rusk last summer. Residents are busy and work hard & play hard being in midtown NYC. The program does not provide housing, for medical students or residents, so many of them commuted from the boroughs, some had lofts in midtown. I was able to sublease from an NYU medical student. You need to get your name on the NYUSOM housing list months in advance to to do this.

I felt it was a great learning experience, and as for the rumors of "malignancy," you are spared that as a medical student. I followed average of 2 in-patients per day, you see them and can write your own notes in the chart. You can go up to PT/OT and follow the course of therapy as well. You can present them on rounds the next day. If you show up and ask questions they will teach you. If not, they might not remember your name, it's a large program, and different attendings round on different days. Some attendings liked to pimp on rounds. Some complained, but I found after being challenged I remember things better, and become more eager to look things up. If you like learning on rounds, I felt NYU was the strongest out of all PM&R rotations I did. Attendings, residents, med students, and a few therapists rounded together as a coherent team, everyday. Team meetings were also always very well attended and thorough. Inpatient is service-based as of recently, so you can focus on MSK/Stroke/Medically Complex, you can pick your service based on your interests as a student. There were plenty of didactics and free lunches too. It's all there, and it seemed you can get involved as little or as much as you want to as a medical student. Some of the NYU students doing an elective and going into other things barely even seemed to show up.

Another unique thing they had going at rusk was therapist/resident exchange. Each dept, PT/OT, etc. would give lectures to residents. We practiced transfering each other as they would transfer patients from wheelchair to a bed. We learned all about various equipment from the people in the trenches that help make Rusk the well-respected rehab facility it is. Chief resident would also lecture therapists about medical complications they should be aware of. It was a great learning exchange.

Sometimes residents, and students who chose to hang out with them, would get out late. With all the lectures, and the time was not "protected," so they still had to finish notes on their patients despite the hours spent in lectures. But, I had seen residents (PGY-2's) stay late at other top programs as well. That's just the nature of PGY-2 at programs with a big inpatient base. You work more, but see more too. Also, New Yorker's are often outspoken in general... I remember as a med student I walked infront of a patient's wheelchair one time when I was rushing to clinic and he yelled at me "f you!" Lesson learned, albeit the hard way.

Resident camraderie was excellent. Often going out across the street if they had time to bagel shops and delis. Overall, I had a lot of fun and learned a lot on this rotation, but resident's, especially PGY-2's, probably have less free time to enjoy the city than they bargained for.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also did a rotation at Rusk and got the same impression. I actually liked it and I did learn alot b'c Dr. ahn likes to pimp. I think you could tell who was happy adn who was not. It's hard to bull**** for a whole month if you really are not happy. Besides as a med student you can hear the residents complain even if they are trying to keep it from you. It seemed like it was tougher but you can definately learn there. The residents seemed to like least the fact that they were making phone calls all day on behalf of their attendings. I also thought the resident/PT info exchange was pretty cool. My 2 cents