-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Can you work while in pharmacy school?
Started by Spyris
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
thanks for all the responses. I think thats the best thing as well. I really wanted to just transfer out, but I have been told that you need to be working there for at least 90 days. I just started working this month.
R you guys required to do a IPPE during your first year? I hope I get Sam's Club or Costco or Publix. Not sure if you get to choose or tell them your preferences...but I been wanting to try those stores out as well.
R you guys required to do a IPPE during your first year? I hope I get Sam's Club or Costco or Publix. Not sure if you get to choose or tell them your preferences...but I been wanting to try those stores out as well.
That sucks, can the school actually make you wear business casual? Touro tried that, but it didn't hold for long.
FAMU requires a shirt and tie from every guy and of course the corresponding female type outfit.
Some professors don't really care, but other professors will throw you out of class. I've even had a pharmacology professor give a pop quiz and he made sure to let the class know it was because people weren't abiding by the professional dress code.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds like my Target as far as script count!
And you'll learn PDX, it's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.
I think the reimbursement is something like $3 or $5k/year? I don't know all of the logistics of it yet, but I will be finding out soon, because I definitely want to take advantage of it!
I'll let you know when I find out more.
I heard Target no longer has anymore tuition reimbursements! 🙁 Did you hear any differently?
I heard Target no longer has anymore tuition reimbursements! 🙁 Did you hear any differently?
lol.
I called today as a matter of fact, so it's funny you mention it. I called Team Member Services, and they told me how everything works.
There IS still tuition reimbursement according to Team Member Services-- where did you get your info?
They told me that in order to be eligible, HR has to update your status to "Pharmacy Student." If this is not done, your application will be automatically rejected.
After that, you have to fill out applications for EACH COURSE that you want reimbursement for. She recommended doing this 2 weeks prior to the start of classes.
Target will reimburse you up to $3,000 per year. In order to get this reimbursement, you ahve to fill out course completion forms within three months of completing the courses. You have to submit proof of payment, how you paid, your transcript and also the form for reimbursement. You have to maintain a C- average, and you should receive reimbursement within 4-6 weeks after submitting all necessary documents.
Hope that helps 🙂
lol.
I called today as a matter of fact, so it's funny you mention it. I called Team Member Services, and they told me how everything works.
There IS still tuition reimbursement according to Team Member Services-- where did you get your info?
They told me that in order to be eligible, HR has to update your status to "Pharmacy Student." If this is not done, your application will be automatically rejected.
After that, you have to fill out applications for EACH COURSE that you want reimbursement for. She recommended doing this 2 weeks prior to the start of classes.
Target will reimburse you up to $3,000 per year. In order to get this reimbursement, you ahve to fill out course completion forms within three months of completing the courses. You have to submit proof of payment, how you paid, your transcript and also the form for reimbursement. You have to maintain a C- average, and you should receive reimbursement within 4-6 weeks after submitting all necessary documents.
Hope that helps 🙂
Thanks for the information. I got my info from a pharm tech, so I am sure your info is more accurate. I will ask my HR manager the next time I see him to confirm.
The only thing is...We can't get put into the system as "pharmacy student" until classes start I believe, so how can we do this two weeks BEFORE school start?
Also is there anything we need to do for Target for getting the $3000 dollars? I am sure they want something in return for the $3000 dollar tuition money.
Thanks for the information. I got my info from a pharm tech, so I am sure your info is more accurate. I will ask my HR manager the next time I see him to confirm.
The only thing is...We can't get put into the system as "pharmacy student" until classes start I believe, so how can we do this two weeks BEFORE school start?
Also is there anything we need to do for Target for getting the $3000 dollars? I am sure they want something in return for the $3000 dollar tuition money.
Well we are accepted pharmacy school students, so I would think that a letter confirming out admission would suffice.
As far as I know, there aren't any commitments we have to make to Target for getting this reimbursement.
I will also check with HR people at my store, ask when statuses can be changed, and post back.
Well we are accepted pharmacy school students, so I would think that a letter confirming out admission would suffice.
As far as I know, there aren't any commitments we have to make to Target for getting this reimbursement.
I will also check with HR people at my store, ask when statuses can be changed, and post back.
I thought the statuses can only be changed after we are pharmacy interns and NOT techs. And in Georgia I have to wait until I actually start school to be an intern. But you are right, I work tommorrow and I will ask them tommorrow as well.
it depends on the school you go to. But generally PS1 (first year of pharm school) is probably the best time because you will have the most time with intro classes. P2, P3 are the hardest and you won't have time to sleep so working will only take away from your studies. PS4, most people are doing their clerkship/rotations so theres not much time there either. Basically you can work weekends but lots of people I know use sat/sun to study for classes during the week.
I thought the statuses can only be changed after we are pharmacy interns and NOT techs. And in Georgia I have to wait until I actually start school to be an intern. But you are right, I work tommorrow and I will ask them tommorrow as well.
It's probably different state by state. In New York, we can only become interns after completing our first year of pharmacy school. So even during my first year in pharmacy school, I'll still be a tech.
But I'm pretty sure they should be able to change your status to pharmacy student, rather than just plain tech regardless of whether or not you are an intern. I want that tuition reimbursement 🙂
it depends on the school you go to. But generally PS1 (first year of pharm school) is probably the best time because you will have the most time with intro classes. P2, P3 are the hardest and you won't have time to sleep so working will only take away from your studies. PS4, most people are doing their clerkship/rotations so theres not much time there either. Basically you can work weekends but lots of people I know use sat/sun to study for classes during the week.
Would you recommend working every other Saturday? (like 4 hours a week on average) is that okay?
It's probably different state by state. In New York, we can only become interns after completing our first year of pharmacy school. So even during my first year in pharmacy school, I'll still be a tech.
But I'm pretty sure they should be able to change your status to pharmacy student, rather than just plain tech regardless of whether or not you are an intern. I want that tuition reimbursement 🙂
Thats good to know. The HR manager wasn't at work today, so I will have to ask this weekend.
New York is really strict. Are you going to Touro or Buffalo?
What is the typical amount of weekly work/school hours for a pre-pharmacy student who is going to school AND working (as a tech/clerk)?
for example:
17 hrs school
15 hrs work
^This seems reasonable, right? Just a made-up example I threw out there
What have you guys experienced?
for example:
17 hrs school
15 hrs work
^This seems reasonable, right? Just a made-up example I threw out there
What have you guys experienced?
This has been discussed before. The search function is a useful tool.
I worked full-time during my pre-pharm coursework.
I worked full-time during my pre-pharm coursework.
This has been discussed before. The search function is a useful tool.
I worked full-time during my pre-pharm coursework.
If I had a quarter for every time you had to say this...

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This has been discussed before. The search function is a useful tool.
I worked full-time during my pre-pharm coursework.
My apologies, didn't think about it this time.
Btw, I had no idea SDN had been around since 1983...you are a true OG
I had 18 hrs of coursework and 15 hrs of work. This left me with time to hang with my friends and a signicant other as well. Needless to say, it's different for everyone.
15hrs school and 20hrs work seems reasonable for me.
There is no typical number of work hours for a pre-pharm since we're all in different situations. I know phathead has worked full-time since he was conceived, and I spent about a year working 40 hours a week while taking 15 hours of coursework.
15 hours a week would have been awesome.
15 hours a week would have been awesome.
Ok new question:
How flexible are employees typically? Will they work around your schedule? Id much rather work 15-20 hrs a week than 40 hrs a week + 17 hrs school
How flexible are employees typically? Will they work around your schedule? Id much rather work 15-20 hrs a week than 40 hrs a week + 17 hrs school
Ok new question:
How flexible are employers typically? Will they work around your schedule? Id much rather work 15-20 hrs a week than 40 hrs a week + 17 hrs school
Fixed.
It's all up to your manager. Some pharmacies don't like dealing with pre-pharms because they like having flexibility when it comes to scheduling. When they want to schedule you on a Monday and you can't due to lab, class, school group, etc, it can lead to frustration.
You might call and ask potential employers if they would be willing to work with your schedule so that neither of you waste your time.
I worked full-time -- with OT sometimes-- while in undergrad. I also made my own schedule while others got fired for requesting holidays off. It's highly subjective to your employer. Talk to them- they'll be able to give you a more comprehensive answer in 2 minutes than all of us combined in several days.
I work 8hours every week (on average) at a hospital
(16 hours every other weekend)
(16 hours every other weekend)
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K