km11

R1
Sep 22, 2010
Status
Medical Student
No they're fine as long as you havent just been counting on those and have been doing other ECs. Otherwise the adcom will question why you decided to stop doing ECs

OP
I

Imogen

Class of 2017!
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
No they're fine as long as you havent just been counting on those and have been doing other ECs. Otherwise the adcom will question why you decided to stop doing ECs
Well, I have been doing other ECs consistently over this whole time... but more recently, I've shifted my focus away from typical "pre-med" stuff. I did my longest clinical experience (2 years at same job) freshman and sophomore year. Since returning to school, I did one other clinical thing (full time for one month this summer) but I started focusing more on other stuff (like athletics, other community service, research). I shifted my focus purposely - thinking that it would be good to round out my application - and because I just wanted to enjoy myself!

Does that sound reasonable?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
In your situation, you have not only two solid years of clinical experience, but also your own personal interctions with the US medical system for a period of time. Provided you plan to mention the latter in your Personal Statement (only for the part it played on your decision to go into medicine), I think you'd be fine with some shadowing over the winter and spring breaks so as to have some recent dates. I do think it's important to have recent dates.