• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Can your ECs/clinical experience be too old?

Imogen

Class of 2017!
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2010
  1. Medical Student
    No they're fine as long as you havent just been counting on those and have been doing other ECs. Otherwise the adcom will question why you decided to stop doing ECs

Well, I have been doing other ECs consistently over this whole time... but more recently, I've shifted my focus away from typical "pre-med" stuff. I did my longest clinical experience (2 years at same job) freshman and sophomore year. Since returning to school, I did one other clinical thing (full time for one month this summer) but I started focusing more on other stuff (like athletics, other community service, research). I shifted my focus purposely - thinking that it would be good to round out my application - and because I just wanted to enjoy myself!

Does that sound reasonable?

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 4, 2006
    The Other Side of the Portal
    1. Attending Physician
      In your situation, you have not only two solid years of clinical experience, but also your own personal interctions with the US medical system for a period of time. Provided you plan to mention the latter in your Personal Statement (only for the part it played on your decision to go into medicine), I think you'd be fine with some shadowing over the winter and spring breaks so as to have some recent dates. I do think it's important to have recent dates.

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.