Canada GIM 4 vs 5 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arandommanem

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I would like to know the different opportunities between becoming an internist in Canada (4 year residency) vs a GIM fellowship (3 years IM + 2 years fellowship). The main one I hear is that the 5 year GIM permits working in academic centres. However, imo it may not be worth the additional year of training. The main draw of this approach is the ability to do locums.

Also, is it possible to do 4 year internal medicine residency and then re-train as a subspecialist in Canada? I know of one such case (GI fellowship) but it seems rare. Anyone heard of other cases?

Cheers