Canada O Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mohammed1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow pre-meds need some advice on Canadian med schools. I did research about the programs there and I think they're pretty good. How many of you would consider going there? This is the ONLY place I would do medicine out of the US. I did use the search function didn't find a good thread so if there is one just post it and this one can be closed. Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

If you can't get into an American school you won't be getting into a Canadian school.
That hard? I didn't apply to any yet but some schools up there ask for only 3 years of college I was thinking of trying it. If I got in it would be good, if not no big deal ill just go with my regular plan and pursue med here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bacchus is correct.

I'm a Canadian citizen and I can tell you they have some crazy competition + residency requirements + low acceptance of international students. There aren't as many med school in Canada as there are in the US. And tuition is relatively low in Canada when you compare (The last time I checked there were no private medical schools).

Because of the small number of Canadian schools and the large amount of Canadians that want to go there ... they are absurd. There is seriously no chance (no offense).

some schools up there ask for only 3 years of college

That's McMaster. Their average entering GPA is about 3.9.

Everyone else is right. And there are a bunch of prev threads on this exact same topic.

Forget Canaddian med school now lol sounds impossible, I will still give some of them a try. Never know what the outcome could be ;) besides its worth a try for now atleast

Canadian medical schools are notoriously difficult to get into, if you cannot get into a school in the US, you won't have much luck in Canada.

Why is this even in the pre-DO forum when there are no Canadian DO schools?

Why is this even in the pre-DO forum when there are no Canadian DO schools?
I always post in pre-DO because I'm not applying to MD in the US, I was just looking at a Canadian option. That's all

If you can't get into an American school you won't be getting into a Canadian school.

agree. I'm Canadian and there are only 12-13 medical schools in Canada. Go figure.

The reason why i'm in the DO forum is that I'm Canadian and I think I have better chances at DO in US.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm just a sophmore going onto a junior and thought it would be cool to go to Canada to study med but I didn't know it was so hard to get in. Oh well I'm going with the original plan and continue with DO.